PDA

View Full Version : Motor Problem. Experts Please Respond

hornetgod13
09-09-2007, 08:11 PM
I think it's time to tear down the top end of my motor. I need some advice to point me in the right direction on which way to go.
The engine smoke pretty bad on the first start up of the day. The smoke is white in color. The smoke goes away after about 10 to 15 seconds. I also see white poofs of smoke on quick throttle blip decelerations. Is this a valve seal issue or piston rings? The valves are adjusted spot on and I've tried 10w40 and 20w50 oils and there is no difference. It has been getting progressively worse and any pointers you could give me would help.

f150mann
09-09-2007, 08:13 PM
could be both. run a compression test it will tell you how the rings are

Eviltanker
09-10-2007, 09:45 AM
I had the same problem, turned out to just be valve seals (easy fix.)

fastredrider44
09-10-2007, 09:52 AM
propably valve seals. When the rings are going bad, you will lose compression, and it will smoke at almost all times.

2004exrider
09-10-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm also gonna go with valve seals.

Jimmy

f150mann
09-10-2007, 10:48 AM
it doesnt necessarily have to smoke all the time for it to be the rings, just mostly under big shots of the throttle and start up. unless of course they are really bad you will be smoking all the time.

MO-EX-RIDER
09-10-2007, 02:40 PM
valve seals.....i had the same problem and was fixed when they were replaced

hornetgod13
09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I'll go with the valve seals suggestion. It sounds like the majority of you think that's the way to go. I was hoping to hear that because it the cheaper and easier of the two.

400exstud
09-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Its condensation. White smoke is water. Blue smoke is oil. You should always get white smoke on start up because of the condensation build up while the bike is resting. There should be no need to worry if the problem doesn't go on after warm-up. You should see MANY more years before anything goes wrong with your motor seeing that you have an '06. I have a friend who rides his about 2 hours every single day, doesn't take care of it at all, and beats the crap out of it and it still runs like the day he got it. BTW it is an '03. These ex motors are not nearly as much as a pain in the ***** as the new 450s.

GPracer2500
09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
How could it be condensation if he's seeing smoke on "quick throttle blip decelerations"? Condensation shouldn't survive in the exhaust for very long at all after start-up.

Also, smoke that looks whitish could be oil. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between a bluish color and a whitish color. I've experience that. Plus, if there's oil weeping down his exhaust valve stems it may not be burning as completely as oil that's leaking past rings (for example). Differences like that might change the color by some degree.

I don't know for sure why his engine is smoking, but I wouldn't rule out oil by any means.

hornetgod13
09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
As I said before, I'm going to replace the valve seals. Not hard to do. I'll let you know if it cures the problem.

gojk
09-10-2007, 11:44 PM
If you haven't ever replaced the valve seals, I would deff replace them. Mine were leaking after only 2 years. I have had the Vitons for almost 6 years now with no probs at all.

hornetgod13
09-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by gojk
I have had the Vitons for almost 6 years now with no probs at all.

Vitons? Is that a brand name? I was going to buy stock valve seals. Is there another option? Where can I buy them?

gojk
09-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Yes, that is the brand. I am sure that C&D can get them for you. For all of you guys that have been around for a while. I bought mine from Marcums ATV, now that is going way back in exriders history.