PDA

View Full Version : How does this motor combo sound?

Jake250ex
09-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Well, flipping thru one of my catalogs the other day, I found that hotrods makes a bolt in +3mm stroker (470cc's). Uses all stock parts and is said to be stronger.

I was wondering about the stroker crank, maybe a higher comperssion (14:1 maybe baldwin) piston, and a 2002 CRF cam. What do you guys think?

Dave400ex
09-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't think I would put a stroker crank in a new 07, but getting a higher compression piston, cam, and a full port/polish would be a good idea. I would have head work done before the crank, but that could just be me. You can make good power without increasing displacement.

hendershot106
09-10-2007, 07:39 AM
i dont recommend trying the crank in an 06 07--- FYI

sandmanblue
09-10-2007, 10:12 AM
That crank is part of my 511 build. Since there is no reliability data on it, nobody can say it's more or less reliable than stock. We are all guinea pigs, but HotRods doesn't seem to have any reliability issues with their products (at least no more than stock cranks), so it's a safe bet IMO.

Over on the org, there's a 470 build with this crank and a 12.25 piston for pump gas that's hitting over 58 hp without using a radical cam (it's using the HC3 or the early HRC cam).

Because you can boost displacement for less money (if you do the work yourself) with this mod, compared to a big bore kit, it's worthwhile - especially for the 06 - 08 motors that have a shorter stroke from the factory.

You ABSOLUTELY need to pay special attention to the clearances of aftermarket pistons when they drop another 3 mm into the cases. This crank was designed to be used with the stock piston - or ones that have a similar skirt length - so longer skirt pistons either need to be modified, or not used. The oil jet that sprays the bottom of the piston is where it will hit - FYI.

Whatever piston you buy, make sure it has been tested for fit with this crank, or do it yourself. The Venom pistons will clear without problem......

My MaxPower piston needed to be modded as well as the oil jet. More FYI....

hendershot106
09-10-2007, 01:32 PM
hmmmmmmm