PDA

View Full Version : NOSS casesaver - 2006 450r

quad2xtreme
09-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Like the NOSS because it protects the shift shaft too.

quad2xtreme
09-09-2007, 08:05 PM
close up...

Dave400ex
09-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I too liked the Noss case saver, however I wouldn't recommend it. I had one and my chain came off, it didn't work. Ripped/snapped the bolts right out of the case. The problem is it doesn't follow the contour of the case. I have the Moose poly now and it is awesome, just like the Holz. I would get one of those, they are plastic which would give, they contour the case, and they both protect the shift shaft.

quad2xtreme
09-09-2007, 08:47 PM
cool, post up a picture. I've heard of people having problem with the NOSS when not using the supplied bolts.

What was the config you were running when the chain came off? In 6 years of riding, I've never had a chain come off. Was thinking of removing my skidplate but have been concerned about bending my sprocket and having the chain come off. I was planning on ordering the rear chain guide by TM tomorrow.

/Jon

Dave400ex
09-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Here's the Holz. The Moose is very similar, maybe even beefier. Don't get me wrong I liked the Noss, but it didn't work and I did use the supplied bolts. The stock ones are to short to work.

I was running stock chain/sprockets with the Elka dual pro link and Elite shock. I believe it had something to do with the rear shock setup that was a little different but I'm not sure. I even had the Baldwin upper chain roller. That's the first I ever had a chain come off too. Not pretty...

quad2xtreme
09-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Couldn't find the Moose using Yahoo search but I did find the Holz. Looks like a great product for only $30. Plan to order it tomorrow and sell my NOSS. That is why I decided to start posting some stuff that I've been doing to my quad. It doesn't seem like people post as much helpful info as they use to before.

Dave400ex
09-09-2007, 09:11 PM
I'll have to get a picture of my Moose some time but it is even beefier then the Holz.

quad2xtreme
09-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Here's the Holz. The Moose is very similar, maybe even beefier. Don't get me wrong I liked the Noss, but it didn't work and I did use the supplied bolts. The stock ones are to short to work.

I was running stock chain/sprockets with the Elka dual pro link and Elite shock. I believe it had something to do with the rear shock setup that was a little different but I'm not sure. I even had the Baldwin upper chain roller. That's the first I ever had a chain come off too. Not pretty...

Thanks for the info. Do you run a skidplate? I've heard if you take the stock skidplate off that you must run a rear chain guide...I think it is TM Designworks that makes it. I know Rocky Mountain sells them.

quad2xtreme
09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Another case saver...T.M. Designworks. Doesn't protect the shift shaft though.

Dave400ex
09-09-2007, 09:20 PM
I run a PRM skid with the stock chain guide, which that white plastic piece is pretty much nothing. I do know though that most MXer's or guys that don't run skids do use the TM guide though. My friend has one on his.

If your worried about bending the sprocket you could get a sprocket guard from GT Thunder. Those are used from XC though. I think with the TM guide you would be ok. My chain coming off may have been a fluke, but man was it an expensive one.

quad2xtreme
09-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Here is the Moose...not sure which is for the 2006 450r though. All look good.

Dave400ex
09-09-2007, 09:24 PM
I believe the bottom right looking at the picture is the 06-07 like mine. The top right must be the 04-05. It comes with the three bolts as well.

4bidden
09-10-2007, 01:41 AM
quad2xtreme - It looks like a new chain should be on your list of things to buy! :)

The Holz and Moose both look good. I hadn't been a fan of the NOSS since I saw it.

Rulz
09-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Like the NOSS because it protects the shift shaft too.

I'd be investing in the best quality case saver too if my chain looked like that!!

Tickticktickticktickticktick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,snap!!

quad2xtreme
09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Rulz
I'd be investing in the best quality case saver too if my chain looked like that!!

Tickticktickticktickticktick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,snap!!

What is the issue? A little surface rust? The chain is completely in spec, not stretched, and the sprockets aren't worn at all. I've never had a chain come off or break on 7 dirt bikes and 4 quads I've owned...the oldest now being a 2000 400ex. Most people break the chain because they don't know how to adjust it properly...chains snap from being too tight...and fall off from being too loose.

/Jon

4bidden
09-11-2007, 12:46 AM
For you guys with the Holz or Moose, mind posting a quick review so others can know about these products? Just takes a second. Would go in the engine section...

http://www.atvdistrict.com/partreviews/addreview.php

Rulz
09-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
What is the issue? A little surface rust? The chain is completely in spec, not stretched, and the sprockets aren't worn at all. I've never had a chain come off or break on 7 dirt bikes and 4 quads I've owned...the oldest now being a 2000 400ex. Most people break the chain because they don't know how to adjust it properly...chains snap from being too tight...and fall off from being too loose.

/Jon

The surface rust indicates a lack of maintenance. When you do not maintain mechanical items, they tend to break. Please do not show us your air filter next!!!!:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

quad2xtreme
09-11-2007, 08:10 AM
I enjoy living on the edge...this is still the original chain and sprockets running on production #343 acquired in January 2006.

Surface rust has nothing to do with the condition of the chain and the pins inside the sealed o-rings.

/Jon

hendershot106
09-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Rulz
The surface rust indicates a lack of maintenance. When you do not maintain mechanical items, they tend to break. Please do not show us your air filter next!!!!:

are u kidding me????? bare metal will rust??? i am 100% positive that u urself have washed, pressure washed, or rode ur bike and DID not oil the chain after every time u hypocrit.

a simple comment of,,, hey,, i like to use belray chain lube,, or hey i use honda chain lube would been sufficient RULZ.

quad2xtreme
09-13-2007, 05:23 PM
This is the Moose. Definitely seems like it would do a better job protecting the engine...

quad2xtreme
09-13-2007, 05:25 PM
It really does fit tight to the engine case. The backside is very contoured with the various bolt mounts, etc.

Dave400ex
09-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Yep that is excatly what I have. It seems like it would do a great job of protecting, but I hope I never find out.

dads400ex
09-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Where are you guy's finding these Moose case savers? Look like they would do a better job at protecting those cases.

quad2xtreme
09-15-2007, 01:31 PM
I can't say this is the only place but...they are distributed by Parts Unlimited so I went through my Honda dealer.

It was $45.

/Jon