PDA

View Full Version : sticky valves?

Exrider434
09-09-2007, 06:17 PM
alrite i was just out adjusting my valves and when the exhaust is closing and the intake opens the one exhaust valve doesnt close all the way and then snaps closed when the intakes are closing again.. what would cause this and obviously this is bad would it mean new valves or seals?

CarGuy7a
09-09-2007, 07:35 PM
could be a number of things. could be carbon junk built up on the valves. could be a gaulded valve guide.

either way i would take the head off and check it out.

zrpilot
09-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
alrite i was just out adjusting my valves and when the exhaust is closing and the intake opens the one exhaust valve doesnt close all the way and then snaps closed when the intakes are closing again.. what would cause this and obviously this is bad would it mean new valves or seals? Your description does not quite match what I have seen, but this sounds like a de-compressor problem.. Just my $.02

Exrider434
09-10-2007, 08:15 AM
whats the decomprssor?

zrpilot
09-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Exrider434
whats the decomprssor?

It is a device on the end of the stock camshaft that, at RPMs below about 800, holds the right exhaust valve open to reduce the cranking compression to aid in starting.

It has been my experience that it makes adjusting exhaust valves on the stock cam (or in my case the HRC cam!) rather tricky.