PDA

View Full Version : Drain Bolt!

ShiftFMX
09-09-2007, 06:13 PM
My motor oil drain bolt is starting to strip out. I can feel that when I tighten it, it wants to keep on going. Can this safely be tapped and threaded with a slightly bigger bolt? Has this happened to anyone else? The bolt does get used a lot because I change my oil quite a bit!

4ABURN
09-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I did a friend of mine his stripped put lots of grease on the tap this will collect fillings(don't go in to far) then when done take a thin grade oil cheap 5/30 and put it in quickly this will flush any out that the grease missed if any...hope this helps.:D :D

WOLFPACK
09-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Replace the bolt itself with a new washer. It doesn't sprip until you get it all the way in that would suggest it is the bolt that is bad and not the treads in the case.

ShiftFMX
09-10-2007, 05:14 AM
Bump

Scro
09-10-2007, 06:35 AM
This happened to me before. I did just what you said, and tapped it with a bigger bolt. Keep the motor up right and work from the bottom, so the shavings will fall out of the whole and not into the motor. Also make sure the bolt that you use is not longer than the stock one.

I also flushed it out with some old oil before running it, to make sure that there were no shavings left in there.

DEAL
09-10-2007, 09:18 AM
I just put a helicoil in mine.

ShiftFMX
09-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by DEAL
I just put a helicoil in mine.

Awesome.....what is it??:confused: :p

300exOH
09-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Awesome.....what is it??:confused: :p

A helicoil is a piece that looks a bit like a spring. You have to drill out the hole to the right size and install the helicoil which basically acts as the new threads for the bolt.

d3ktrix
09-10-2007, 11:45 AM
I herd that helicoils arn't the greatest thing and can fall out.

I stripped mine out a while back and tapped it out to a standard sized bolt that was slightly larger and had larger threads then the stock metric bolt.

While I was tapping it out I had the shop vac always sucking the metal shards out of the hole while drilling. And I only went in a few more threads each time and would repeatedly clean the hole with some tape rolled sticky side out and the vacuum.

After that I left the drain plug out and dumped a bunch of cheap oil through the engine and just let it run out.
Then I changed the oil like 3 or 4 times only running it for a few sec in between changes. Then rode for a few min, and changed it again.

I never found any shards in my filter or oil during the whole process.

GL, Its a stressful operation :P

lumi
09-10-2007, 11:53 AM
heil coil is not the best, isnt the valve relief for the oil part of the oem threads
:D

Sjorge450R
09-10-2007, 04:28 PM
go to Pep Boys or Auto zone and then go to the isle that has parts called HELP!.

Find that 12mm Self Tapping oil drain bolt. Use that. I did that before. Works better than the stock bolt. I always feel safer with my taps than the stock ones.