PDA

View Full Version : Question from new owner.

MXfun
09-09-2007, 02:43 PM
I picked up a new 07 DRX50 on Friday. Are there any pointers out there to a new owner?

I have some specific questions:

1) I read the Transmission Oil should be changesd after 1 week. What is the capacity and type of oil to use? Is there a service manual for these?

2) 16" or 18" Holeshot (Snow Hog) tires on rear. Which are better for small MX track racing?

3) The dealer put a pro Armor tether (at my request) on the handlebar and removed the rear tether. It seems I have some unconnected wires at the front of the machine. Not sure if this is typical or not.

-Yellow w/ orange stripe and black in one plug, not connected.

-Blue/Yellow and a brown wire by steering column, not connected.

-No clip found in CDI box. CDI box just shoved up near stock air filter, not strapped to anything.

4) I noticed the transmission case has marking for SAFE and ADD for oil on the inside or the quad, but there is no window to see the oil, only a circle of metal. What's up with that?

5) Take off is not very powerful, any suggestion to improve that?

Thanks.

airtime821
09-09-2007, 05:55 PM
unplugged wires are because they use the wire harness on many models and those plugs arent used on the drx50. Which carb do you have on the bike. If its the oko 21mm there is a service bulletin out on these carbs because the manufacturer did not make the holes in the carb big enough. the bulletin can be found at drrinc.com. this is what causes the take off speed to be slow. If it has the mikuni or keihin carb then it is more than likely just a jetting problem. I have no clue why they didnt put the site glass in the case but it looks to me like a polaris predator 50 one will fit in there if you wanna take it apart and open up the hole. but in most cases and you change the oil regularly its really not a problem.

ecmini1
09-09-2007, 07:16 PM
The no site glass is normal. I dont suggest trying to put one in it will not turn out good for you. I have the the amount at the shop and can post it later if some one else dosent.
Lack of power could be jetting if its the keihin. If it the oko 21mm get a keihin and replace it you will be much happier with the performance of your mini.

Tire depends on you tracks you run if it has deep ruts run the 18s if hard packed run 16s.

MXfun
09-09-2007, 07:23 PM
It is the Mikuni carb.

Thanks for all the help so far, it is great to have your expertise available!

jetski_dawg
09-09-2007, 08:15 PM
most times on the case it will say the amount to fill the gear case.. mine says 300cm3(cubic centimeters).. i use an old cup from the medicine cabinet and use synthetic gear oil(bel-ray)

bulldogfallon
09-09-2007, 08:41 PM
A little less than 4 oz will be good for the tranny..A syringe with a hose makes it a lot easier to fill..

Didn't your dealer prep the quad for you and make sure it was running properly?

Do you have the snorkel/air filter relocator on the carb?

Have you drained the injector tank or added "injector" oil to the cannister?

What gearing did you quad come with? Sounds like it is an early 07 model....probably 19T Front and 35T rear? Or it could be a 32T rear? This can impact your tire selection or at least let us know what gearing to recomend based on your tire selection.

We run 18" Snow Hogs here in FL to keep the boys out of the ruts

Is this a single or dual a-arm quad?

CDI should either be a small 2" x 2" box or rectangular shaped with 2 screws in it....Removing the screws allows a small clip to be remove giving it a higher RPM

MXfun
09-10-2007, 05:26 AM
Yes, the quad was prepped. I think I am used to the predator engaging at a lower rpm than the DRR. Once it starts going it really moves fast. The predator actually poops a wheelie on takeoff, whereas the DRR is a more gradual takeoff.

The dealer must have removed the CDI clip already. I will call them to see.

I did not relocate the air filter. Should I? It is up above the headlight.

It has dual a arms, front and rear disk brakes, mikuni carb. air cooled.

Why does the oil injector tank need to be drained?

Thanks.

bulldogfallon
09-10-2007, 06:05 AM
The stock oil in the cannister is more of a break in oil.....It sometimes makes the quad run bad(rich)

The first thing we do is pull off the air filter relocator tube and put on a Uni pod filter (think it is the 4152 model that fits the Mikuni) or the DRR K&N style filter

Stock filters are not that great...(2 pc design..red foam is not 1 pc)..

Also the outer filter casing can be removed as well.....their is a filter skeleton underneath the black casing...

An outerwears is also recomended

Dirt inside these carbs and engines will cause major headaches and loss of performance.

DRR quads have a higher stall since they are race style bikes.....Many racers actual upgrade to an even higher stall (2K RPM) for better launches and to pull better out of the corners

bulldogfallon
09-10-2007, 06:10 AM
It is also recomended (if the tracks you race at allow this mod) to remove the oil injection system and run premix.

It is a very slight performance gain, but it really is just peace of mind that you know what your premix ratio is and that the it is always protected with oil.

Some tracks will consider this a mod and keep you out of the stock class...

Most of our local riders either put a BB or ball bearing inline(to be discreet) or zip tie the oil lines in 2 places and then run premix.

It is against our rules, but everyone openly does it....to protect the engines.

Always check the tracks you will be racing at before making any changes.....Each track has its own set of "unique" rules...

Good luck and welcome to the "DRR Nation"

We are here to help

MXfun
09-10-2007, 10:08 AM
According to Lou at DRR

The wires are extra for the 50.
There is an unlimited rev CDI that is available for the 50.
Most 50's run the 16" Snow Hogs.
Use synthetic gear oil 65-80 wt.
Increase jetting to 120 or so if a Uni-filter w/ outwear is added.
Red Line or Yamalube 2-stroke oil for injection.

Also,
I have no clip on my current CDI, just two screws with "washers?". There is nothing that connect the two screws.
On my predator there was a clip that I removed. Is this box like that one? My clip is just gone already?

bulldogfallon
09-10-2007, 10:27 AM
120 is a bit high on the jetting...Most run 100-110, with Uni filters without the snorkel

He may be thinking that you have the OKO carb w/the mod.

We pull off the injector and run premix 36:1 Castor 927

Every FL rider we have seen run 18" Snow Hogs...No 16" Snow pigs on our tracks..they would get stuck..Your choice would be determined by the type of tracks you will be running on....hard packed tracks

The unlimited rev is the same for the 50/70/90 it is a small 2" x 2" box and it seems to run better than the stock rectangular box

Your clip has been removed by your dealer....

humboldt hills
09-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Actually 115 to 120 is correct here in the Buckeye state.
Different elevation!
I would suggest the 18 snowhogs. The 16" just don't leave any ground clearance.
Who's is the dealer you purchased the DRR from?