PDA

View Full Version : spark plugg coming loose

"BLAHH"300!!
10-30-2001, 01:57 PM
everytime i ride here latley i've noticed after words that my plug has worked it's way loose- what is this all about- it was in there good to start with- why's it coming loose now-
it's the right size and everything-
has anyone else noticed that the hole to tighten the plug is just way to small- you can't fit a needle in there- much less a socket

400exRacerX
10-30-2001, 02:03 PM
What i do is tighten it until it stops, then snug it a 1/2 turn and you will be fine. As for you not being able to fit a tool in there, that is the reason why your quad came with a spark plug tool!;)

Mity Mo
10-30-2001, 02:17 PM
Another way is to buy the Motion Pro tool designed for the XR400. It works awesome. It is a socket that works for the plug. I think I paid around 15 bucks for it and it is the best money i spent for a tool.:D

Braff1
11-02-2001, 01:51 PM
Ex-citing,
I have been having the same prob on my 2001 300 EX. I have tried changing from the NGK brand to Champion. No matter what plug I put in it would loosen up. Yes I snugged it in there. I noticed it started while riding up at Mountain Parkway, noted for there large hills, I initally thought it was something internal with the quad. When I went to check the plug it was finger tight. Tightened it up and it ran like a champ. Now I just keep a close eye on it until I can figure out why this happens.

Dan

barbwire44
11-02-2001, 01:56 PM
It sounds to me like you guys at one tme or another have overtightened you're plug and screwed the threads up. I would suggest pulling the head off and having a look if so get out the heli coils or bore and tap it and buy an adapter to put on youre plug most machine shops can do it pretty easily.

"BLAHH"300!!
11-02-2001, 02:32 PM
thats too much trouble man-

i'll just bring gloves and a sockett and hit it when it comes loose
i'ts not that big of a problem- i know when it comes loose couse it'll act like the rev. limiter is kicking in-