PDA

View Full Version : When to rebuild

cthomps07
09-09-2007, 12:11 PM
For those of you who have the HRC kit installed how often are you rebuilding your quads? I read somewhere that it needs it every 15 hrs. Is this true?

cthomps07
09-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Anyone?

WOLFPACK
09-09-2007, 07:57 PM
No one is answering because that is a hard one to answer.

If you follow the manual it says every 15 hours.

Some people go an entire season or more without rebuilding.

We tear our race motors down every 30 hours but they can take it because of the components we use.

Shane

cthomps07
09-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the reply so really I want to be rebuilding it quite alot with an hrc kit. I was thinking I could get away with 1 year before a rebuild but it doesnt seem likely now that I am reading into it more. Can anyone else tell me how often you are rebuilding yours some of you average weekend riders? I ride almost everyday for about an hour and at least 5 hrs on the weekend this is just rec. riding no real racing just the occasional dune race. Any opinions on how long I would last before rebuilding with regular maintenance? Also is it just going to be throwing in a piston and a set of rings or will it be more complicated than that. Sorry for all the detailed and long drawn out questions I just want to make sure of what I am getting I dont want to have a quad I need to rebuild every month.

Turboderf
09-10-2007, 08:04 PM
oil changes are 100 hours so i think you should go more then 15 hours for rebuild

honda4life72
09-10-2007, 08:19 PM
oil changes are 100 hours? where you get that from? more like every 5 hours , and u shouldn't need to rebuild cuz of the hrc kit , its basicly stock with or with out it , rebuild when it starts to smoke lol , no joke ,

cthomps07
09-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Yeah they say that but theres no way I would wait that long to change my oil in my R. I change it about every 20 hrs max and more like 15 hrs. That why Im wondering about the hrc kit. Honda recomends a rebuild every 15 hrs and I want to know when its really needed. I am hoping I can make a year before really needing one.

cthomps07
09-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by honda4life72
oil changes are 100 hours? where you get that from? more like every 5 hours , and u shouldn't need to rebuild cuz of the hrc kit , its basicly stock with or with out it , rebuild when it starts to smoke lol , no joke ,

Honda says in the manual 20hrs during break in and 100 after that for oil changes. I am glad I found this place or I would be doing just that. I can see that for some quads but not the 450r.

pro-rider46
09-10-2007, 09:09 PM
you shouldnt have to rebuild it, in a long time. you could get away with acouple of years, based on how you maintain, and ride it. the hrc kit is not like a pro race bike that gets rebuilt after every race or like 30 hours as someone said, that guy races so he is beating on it to win. you being a recreational rider will be fine with the hrc kit.

d3ktrix
09-10-2007, 11:28 PM
I have more then 400 hours on my 05 in the year and half I have owned it.
Original piston and rings, HRC kit, 02 CRF cam, sparks exhaust.
Adjusted/checked my valves every few months, changed oil every 5-10 hours.
And I'm not easy on the throttle, when I'm riding MX my throttle is like an on/off switch.

Recently I have been feeling a loss of power and have a new CP 12.1 piston here ready to go in, still runs great tho and doesn't smoke at all.

Most people don't even change their oil every 15 hours let alone rings.
IMO its not even broken in at 15 hours.

Tho 06-08 models will get less run time then 04-05 models.

honda4life72
09-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
I have more then 400 hours on my 05 in the year and half I have owned it.
Original piston and rings, HRC kit, 02 CRF cam, sparks exhaust.
Adjusted/checked my valves every few months, changed oil every 5-10 hours.
And I'm not easy on the throttle, when I'm riding MX my throttle is like an on/off switch.

Recently I have been feeling a loss of power and have a new CP 12.1 piston here ready to go in, still runs great tho and doesn't smoke at all.

Most people don't even change their oil every 15 hours let alone rings.
IMO its not even broken in at 15 hours.

Tho 06-08 models will get less run time then 04-05 models. i think if your losing power that means your crank bearings are starting to go. or sumthing , and you shoudl change the oil every 10 hrs or so , and not rebuild until like 500 hours or it breaks sumthing in the motor , just cuz its a hrc kit , it don't make more power or more stress on the motor , it just makes it run better

d3ktrix
09-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by honda4life72
i think if your losing power that means your crank bearings are starting to go. or sumthing , and you shoudl change the oil every 10 hrs or so , and not rebuild until like 500 hours or it breaks sumthing in the motor , just cuz its a hrc kit , it don't make more power or more stress on the motor , it just makes it run better

Nah I doubt its any type of failure, its been a slow process over time. I think I'm just loosing compression from ring wear.

And the HRC kit or any other power mod does put more stress on the internal engine parts. The additional compression and force has to go somewhere.

allstock
09-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Nah I doubt its any type of failure, its been a slow process over time. I think I'm just loosing compression from ring wear.

And the HRC kit or any other power mod does put more stress on the internal engine parts. The additional compression and force has to go somewhere.

your bike still has the same power it did before your just getting bored and 100hrs seems way to long imo

Flyin-Low
09-11-2007, 07:48 PM
I change my oil every week.. Which is ABOUT 5-6 hours.

My engine had 200+ hours on it and wasn't burning a drop of oil. But I had it on the bench during my rebuild so I threw a new piston, rings, wristpin and circlips just because it was convenient.

And with the small ammount of oil the 450r holds I highly doubt it says to change the oil every 100 hours.

Why would you change the piston 6 times before the oil?

Lmao.

-Martin

cthomps07
09-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Hes not lying I have the manual in hand. Says 20hrs during initial and every 100 hrs after that. I was shocked when you told me to change it every 10 or so hrs when I first came to this forum....thats why. I started reading into it more so now I see why. My dad couldnt believe it he told me do it what honda recomends. No way will I ever follow that. 15 hrs max for my changes more like 10 here.