PDA

View Full Version : What mods do I need.

zack221
09-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Ok this might have been posted before but i searched and cant find anything on it so here it goes.I am wanting to mod my 400ex so that it can keep up with any of the 450s.So far i am thinking about going with a 440 kit.The 440 kit comes with a rev box and hotcams stage 2 cam.I think I am going to go with a full yoshi exhaust and 450r carb.Bigger head studs for the 440 kit.New valves but im not sure what i need to get.Are the kibblewhite valves any good?Ported head.Do i need to get a bigger timing chain or anything because of the 440 kit?

I am looking at doing this work myself but im not sure if i can do it.I tore down my old cr125 to bare frame and rebuilt the topend on it and painted the frame but thats a 2stroke.I have been told that a 4 stroke is a totally different world when it comes to rebuilding the motor though.I think i am pretty mechanically inclined and i also have a clymer manual.Do you think i could handle the work of putting the 440 kit in and the cam?If you see anything that you would do different please let me know because i am pretty much looking for suggestions right now.

Heres a pic of my 400ex as it sits right now except for new front tires.It has a k&n air filter and no baffle thats about it for right now.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/zack2211/my%20dirtbike%20and%20fourwheeler/0101030103050104072007072997237eba3.jpg

EX LONERIDER
09-08-2007, 11:00 PM
well, if you have the know how and the tools you should be able to tackle the project. follow the manual on what to do as far as steps and procedures and you can get the idea of what needs to be done. you'll need to have the head bored out for the new sleeve. so you'll need to find a good shop to do that for you.

i did all my own work... including port work since i had the tooling. most of it is just taking your time and reading the manual ahead of the work you are doing. even double reading to make sure you do it right.

if youve done rebuilds... you should have an idea of what you need to do.

f150mann
09-08-2007, 11:44 PM
lonerider how does your setup compare to say a 450r? or a raptor?

you have basically the same as what i plan on building

zack221
09-09-2007, 10:30 AM
EX lonerider do you have to run race gas in yours or do you just run 93?

gcart2
09-09-2007, 04:08 PM
first.. get a job
second.. be prepared to spend all saving.
third.. contact us ehrn u have about 3g saved.:p

sadly... thats what you need to do lol

zack221
09-09-2007, 07:42 PM
1st i do have a job
2nd i am saving my money and i am gonna save about 2000 for the motor work.

dariusld
09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by zack221
EX lonerider do you have to run race gas in yours or do you just run 93?

We only have 91 in CA.

EX LONERIDER
09-09-2007, 10:14 PM
lonerider how does your setup compare to say a 450r? or a raptor?

not sure yet... i havent cracked it open yet for more then a gears worth since im still in break in mode.... however its impressive the little i gave it so far :D . ill find out how it compares since i have a a couple buddies with a all those bikes once i get out to the desert.... i think i need to step up my gearing back to a 15T..... its low geared now. i can already tell.

We only have 91 in CA.

unfortunately thats the case with the common gas station but i found a fleet station that carries 110 leaded an unleaded at the pump that im gonna start using. i ran 91 just to test out and it pings. i then added 50% 107 race and it stopped all together i am running 11:1 compression and an advance key so ill need to run minimal 97 octane.

dariusld
09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
not sure yet... i havent cracked it open yet for more then a gears worth since im still in break in mode.... however its impressive the little i gave it so far :D . ill find out how it compares since i have a a couple buddies with a all those bikes once i get out to the desert.... i think i need to step up my gearing back to a 15T..... its low geared now. i can already tell.

unfortunately thats the case with the common gas station but i found a fleet station that carries 110 leaded an unleaded at the pump that im gonna start using. i ran 91 just to test out and it pings. i then added 50% 107 race and it stopped all together i am running 11:1 compression and an advance key so ill need to run minimal 97 octane.

Where and how much? I can get 100 for $7 a gal.

EX LONERIDER
09-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Where and how much? I can get 100 for $7 a gal.

its a CFN station i think... its on the very end of fairmount ave. cornering sheridan lane in mission valley. if you get off from the I-8 on fairmount and go north twards the home depot, its at the very end of fairmount. im not sure what the prices for the fuel are now.... they vary as frequent as regular gas prices do.... point being, high octane is still available but not for the "general publics" use. ;)

i also get a 5 gallon jug from south bay motorsports for about 45-70 bux depending on the kind of fuel you want.... they have 100, 106, 113 and 120 i think??? dont quote me but i think they have those and they also vary in price.

not sure if you knew of Race Ready Inc but, they used to have race fuel for real cheap. up untill they had their insurance rates whent up and had to stop carrying it. :( last time i bought from them they had 106 for about 6 bux a gallon...... that was the place for everyone to get their fuel.

f150mann
09-10-2007, 10:49 AM
why not run 91 with a little can of that octane booster stuff? ive never tried it but it claims to work

EX LONERIDER
09-10-2007, 10:52 AM
ive never trusted those things... from what ive hear they dont really do much and gets gunk in your valves. rather spend the extra few bucks and run good gas through it.

....plus it smells better :D :p

f150mann
09-10-2007, 10:55 AM
true on the smell lol, might be cheaper tho?

zack221
09-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I am gonna run the timing key to.Will i benefit from the 450r carb or not?