PDA

View Full Version : Big Bore Clutch Setup

bushwesl
09-08-2007, 03:45 PM
When running a big bore, what is the best clutch setup to run? I would love to run the Hinson 8-plate setup, but I'm not going to drop that kind of cash. Currently, I've got a Hinson basket, '89 clutch update, and new OEM plates and fibers. I was also planning on running one 400EX steel plate in the middle of the clutch pack (Neil of C-Leigh Racing's setup/recommendation). I guess what I want to know is, what springs do I run, CR500? If so, from what year? Also, is the Hinson pressure plate something to consider? Does it have that much of an advantage over a new stock one?

deathman53
09-08-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm using a hinson basket, inner hub and stock 86 lifter/pressure plate on my 310pv. My quad with the 310pv has a completely stock clutch setup for right now, when needed it will get a hinson basket. I also use cr500 springs, stock 250r fibers and metals.

racerx573
09-09-2007, 03:28 AM
if you can afford the 8 plate later on, go with it. But since you have a Hinson basket already, just get the rest of it and use stock number plates w/ OEM Honda plates & CR500 springs. I have always ran CR springs.

I run a Hinson basket w/ stock plates & CR springs in my Paul Turner 275, and full Hinson 8 plate w/ stock plates & CR springs in my 265 PV.

The 8 plate is awesome, but the price tag blows, especially since you need a quick change cover.

ChvyCruzen
09-09-2007, 06:11 AM
I run the Hinson 8 plate setup, it holds up real well.

brokenbones
09-09-2007, 08:54 AM
i run a full hinson set up with oem clutchs and fibers with a esr spring but the esr spring has the same spring rate as a 88 cr 500 spring on my 330 and it holds fine

havinnoj
09-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
The 8 plate is awesome, but the price tag blows, especially since you need a quick change cover.

Don't know why you think that, but I run a Hinson 8 plate basket with a stock cover.

Stick with the basket you have as long is there is no chatter. 89 update kit, oem inner hub and pressure plate, fibers and plates (your choice) should be fine. Springs are the same - just how hard you want the pull to be.

racerx573
09-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by havinnoj
Don't know why you think that, but I run a Hinson 8 plate basket with a stock cover.

Stick with the basket you have as long is there is no chatter. 89 update kit, oem inner hub and pressure plate, fibers and plates (your choice) should be fine. Springs are the same - just how hard you want the pull to be.

I have tried to put a stock cover on it, and even another company's quick change cover plate.. and it wouldn't fit because it was hitting the covers..