PDA

View Full Version : pain in the but

j450rking
09-08-2007, 02:22 PM
i know you are all going to say i told you so and you should have done it before but here it is.

i pulled a head stud:mad: so now i have to take it apart and get some hd studs from gt thunder and have a machin shop install them:( so i am going to take this op and have my head ported and get a xr head gasket to bump the comp up to 11-1 instead of 10.8-1. so at least i will get something out of it

EX LONERIDER
09-08-2007, 03:44 PM
ouch.... how'd it happen?

i think ill recheck mine again..:chinese:

dariusld
09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by j450rking

i pulled a head stud:mad:

How do you know??

flauge
09-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear that j450r, but you know what they say. Do it right or do it twice:p .
So a stock bore xr400 gasket is ok to use on a 416? I kinda thought so but i wasnt quite sure.. How does yours run? Im planning on doing a 416 build with almost the exact same parts within the next month or so.

j450rking
09-08-2007, 09:23 PM
well it's leaking oil from the head gasket and it seems that the head is a bit higher on that side so i am pretty shour it is a head stud unless one of the head stud nuts cam loose but i don't think so b/c i used red threadlocker and that stuff dosn't come loose easy. and if i have to take my top end apart then i might as well put in hd head studs and a p and p.

and i have seen people put on xr head gaskets and they work fine. i wouldn't think it would be a problum seeing as it's the same engine besides the kick start thing.

and my ex runs great besides this head stud BS and remember the exhuast makes the power change alot. for example i had a dmc alien and that thing would make me fly like crazy on top end but i wouldn't have much bottom and had to stay with my 14 tooth front sprocket but then i got my big gun and if i kept my 14 tooth i would never even think of useing 1st gear again but i still have good top end b/c of the stage 2 cam so i think this setup is great just make shour you get the exhuast that fits you.

oh and i relly don't know how it happend i just went riding for about 10 min came back and i see oil on the left side of my jug. not alot but enogh to make me want to not ride and posubly mess things up more.

i just hope the guy that lives on the other side of the vally can do the head studs and porting b/c he will do it dirt cheap for me so i won't have to break the bank and make me wait even longer for a car.

flauge
09-10-2007, 02:12 PM
The thing that kinda got me thinking was that the stock head gasket is 85mm. Put that on a cylinder bored to 87mm and I figure that part of the gasket would be hanginginto the bore. Not sure if it would hurt anything or not, I just dont like the sound of it. :ermm:

fastredrider44
09-10-2007, 04:19 PM
The gasket kit I bought was for the bore size that I have. I too didn't like the thought of a gasket dangling into the cylinder.

j450rking
09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
i got a 89mm gasket and thet relly didn't have much of a bigger hole then the 87mm so i think the 89mm is the way to go