PDA

View Full Version : Chain play

riding4fun
09-08-2007, 09:03 AM
What is allowable for the chain tension to be with no rider, how much play at the top?.
I changed to a smaller front sprocket, would it be better to remove a link or can it be tightened down by the adjustment screws.

Thanks,
Darrell

Nichols Atvs
09-08-2007, 10:41 AM
About 5/8 of and inch make sure you push the suspension all the away down. and make sure when you push down your tensioner that it gose slack or you will break a chain.

riding4fun
09-08-2007, 11:15 AM
OK, thanks.
On a separate note.

If a chain is too short can links be added safely. What I mean is does adding more links make it less durable. From what somebody said the masterlink is the weak link. So there would have to be 2 masterlinks if I added. Is that correct? Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks,
Darrell

Nichols Atvs
09-08-2007, 05:49 PM
That is correct, if you need more links buy a new chain chances are your due for a new one any way. I have been puting on a new one every 5 th race just my little thing but not a requirement.

Heath

ecmini1
09-08-2007, 10:21 PM
As long as your tensioner can move a 1/4 in. with out rider is fine.
The stock DRR chains are ok for awhile but need to get a high quality chain asap. Make sure you install you master link in the correct direction or it can push the locking pin off and ruin your day.