PDA

View Full Version : paddle tire size?

Locknload82
09-08-2007, 07:24 AM
We have 2 400ex's and a 300ex we need paddle tires and wheels for. I noticed you can buy them in either 8", 9" or 10" wheel sizes (the stock wheels are 9"). The paddles on 8" wheels are $13 per set cheaper than the ones on 9" wheels.

will we notice any difference in performance between the 8" and 9" wheels? Since we have to buy 3 sets I would like to save some money if i can.

GPracer2500
09-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Different wheel diameters can change the performance characteristics of the tire. But I'm guessing you'd be hard pressed to detect the difference.

bwamos
09-10-2007, 05:51 AM
The tires on an 8" wheel will actually float a bit better. (I'm far from a sand expert, so don't quote me on that, lol) The 8" are probably cheaper because they sell a lot more of them. Lower production cost.

Be sure to get a shallow paddle for the 300ex. It's very easy to overpaddle the 300. Most paddle tires are too much paddle for the 300ex. I always reccomend a 6-paddle skat-trak glider or something similar. (Depending on the sand properties of course). But you're probably going to Wynoka (Little Sahara) wich is a pretty fine sand that sucks the holy living HP out of the 300ex if the paddles are too big, lol.

gojk
09-11-2007, 12:08 AM
I am with GPRacer. They will slightly effect performance, but not enough one way or another. Go with the one you like the looks of the most. I love the looks of a 20x10x10 paddle

cataway
09-11-2007, 08:48 AM
tire sizes can be so misleading you all most have to have each tire your interested in side by side to really under stand what your looking at when your talking tires .
i have compared gecko 21X11-9 to chen shin 22X11- 8 ,the gecko are deficiently a taller tire ,(all most 2 inches) so how they come up with these numbers i dont know . if you compare skat's 20X10-8 to kenda trackers 20X12-8 the the skats are abit taller but not much. and yet the skat's hook up way better
in my comparison i am comparing from bald spot to bald spot top to bottom, in my opinion the paddles should have nothing to do with the size

gojk
09-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by cataway
tire sizes can be so misleading you all most have to have each tire your interested in side by side to really under stand what your looking at when your talking tires .
i have compared gecko 21X11-9 to chen shin 22X11- 8 ,the gecko are deficiently a taller tire ,(all most 2 inches) so how they come up with these numbers i dont know . if you compare skat's 20X10-8 to kenda trackers 20X12-8 the the skats are abit taller but not much. and yet the skat's hook up way better
in my comparison i am comparing from bald spot to bald spot top to bottom, in my opinion the paddles should have nothing to do with the size

This is true, but the tire size should be comparable when dealing with the same type of paddle. The tire size disparity is true with every type and brand of tire regardless if it is a paddle or not. If you are comparing a hauler size to a different hauler size then the sizes have meaning, but like you said, if you compare sizes between brands, you will see huge differences.