PDA

View Full Version : Need help 05 R cutting out at high RPM!!!

RAMIT
09-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Ok as the title says when I have the trottle wide open it almost sounds like I am hitting the rev limiter and it is cutting out but I know that it is not because I have not hit the top RPM. No new mods have been added and I have drained the fuel and checked the air filter and now I am not sure what to check. It idles fine and doesn't die, so please help!

GPracer2500
09-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Checked the carb? Maybe your main jet fell out.

RAMIT
09-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Checked the carb? Maybe your main jet fell out.
I pulled the jet to see if it was gunked up and it was clean as a whistle. I drained the bowl on the carb too to make sure that it had new fuel, then let it set and idle for about 5 minutes then took it up and down the street a few times and still doing it. :confused:
I don't know what to do now, short of rebuilding the carb.

Turboderf
09-08-2007, 05:43 PM
check your float if its set to low you could be running out of fuel

WOLFPACK
09-09-2007, 08:54 AM
It is possible that you need to re-jet the carb. What does your plug look like? Borrow an ignition box from a friend and see if that is your problem.

Shane

RAMIT
09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
I just put a new plug in 2 days ago the old one was a little black but not bad. What gets me on this whole deal is that I have not done anything but put gas in it and change the oil since buying it and it ran perfect until last time I rode it. I need to get it fixed before Friday because I am going to Sandfest in Waynoka.:)

4ABURN
09-09-2007, 05:57 PM
will it start to miss at 1/2or 1/4 throttle if it does than that mostly takes the carb out of the story,and it could be coil,cdi,pick up coil,get some electrical testing gear and good luck.:confused:

RAMIT
09-09-2007, 06:07 PM
It really starts doing it at 3/4 throttle and up. I can blip the throttle all day and it runs great but when you get on it to get through the gears at the top of the gear it starts doing it.

4ABURN
09-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Maybe ????? Its not getting enough fuel from the tank pull the hose off the carb with the valve turned on and check,or maybe the needle and seat have something in it and is not letting enough fuel threw. Just trying to help.;) ;) ( if the main jet is clear):D

RAMIT
09-09-2007, 06:46 PM
I am leaning toward the needle being messed up because I have checked the main jet it was fine, and we drained the fuel using that line the connects to the carb and it was free and clear. Thanks for the help I hope that I can get it running soon.:)

4ABURN
09-09-2007, 06:49 PM
me too!!!! good luck let us know what it is so we can help others. If something pops in my head I will post.:D

WOLFPACK
09-09-2007, 07:53 PM
What model year bike are we talking about?

When was the last time the top end was worked on?

Have you checked compression?

Have you adjusted your valves lately?

Shane

RAMIT
09-09-2007, 08:58 PM
it is an 05 with the HRC kit installed I bought it about a year ago from a dealer who did all the work on it. That would have been the last time it has had any work done to it. It doesn't get ridden but about once or twice a month. I have not checked anything but fuel as of now.

RAMIT
09-10-2007, 10:45 PM
The TPS would not cause this kind of thing would it? Just a thought I had.

Pred_003
09-10-2007, 10:55 PM
This is exactly what mine just started doing.... I Think i fried my CDI box because i took the stock CDI out of my buddies, plugged it into mine and it ran fine... Try someone elses CDI if you can see if it helps...

RAMIT
09-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Hmm...I gave that a thought but wouldn't it not start or run right at all if it was the CDI? I will have to try it though.

Pred_003
09-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Not necessarily... mine starts fine... runs good till 1/4 to Mid throttle... then it cuts in and out

hotrodhonda400
09-11-2007, 06:36 PM
buddy of mines does this when the air filter is dirty.... sounds too easy but cleaning it always does the trick...

RAMIT
09-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Ok well, I took the carb apart and made sure it the float was good and free and everything was good inside and still doing the same thing so this is getting me to believe it is not the carb. Now to the CDI...I talked to a local dealer here and they told me I could have one ordered but if it doesn't do the trick it is not returnable. On top of that I cannot get this one tested because they don't have a bench test for it. He told me the only way you can find out is to plug another one in that you know works and see if that fixes it. My brother has an 07, and a buddy has an 06 and neither of these CDI boxes will work on a 05! So do I spend $225 on a new box hoping that is the problem or what?

ss440ex
09-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Hey,
I got one off of my 05.....if you want to try/buy it.

Not wanting alot.....LMK

Al

RAMIT
09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ss440ex
Hey,
I got one off of my 05.....if you want to try/buy it.

Not wanting alot.....LMK

Al [/QUOTE
If you were in KC I would say yeah let me give it a shot but I really need to get this thing fixed by Friday. Thanks anyway!