PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a YFZ450 - questions

04TRX400EX
09-07-2007, 12:31 AM
So I am getting a little restless with my 400EX and have been thinking about doing two things, but have some questions. My first thought is to keep building my 400 - full TCS setup, 416 bore kit, cam, etc. My other thought is to stop putting money into the 400 (since it will never nbe a 450) and look into getting a YFZ450.

My real question has to do with the suspension setup and overall off-the-showroom-floor ability. I have never owned a Yamaha nor even ridden a YFZ (although I know people that have them). I do not want to get into something that I am going to be forced to immediately put money into shock revalves and all that.

So what do you all think? How's the setup from the factory? Are extended a-arms, shock revalves or replacement, and an extended axle truly necessary?

BTW, I ride mostly desert and XC with ocassional MX tracks mixed in.

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

250r4life
09-07-2007, 12:22 PM
its great off the show room, and no you dont have to throw a bunch of money into it...

i think youre thinking along the right lines not dumping more money into your 400ex...

if you get a YFZ, pull the baffle out, take the lid off, throw a pro-design K&N on, and retard the cam, you would have a sick bike and only have to spend an additional $150 to do it...

well, you need to spend $11 on some Oury grips too, but... :D

Toadz400
09-14-2007, 10:03 PM
For what you're planning on doing, a stock YFZ will be just fine for you. I've been riding mine nearly stock for the near 2 1/2 years I've had it. Just recently I decided it was time to revalve the shocks. I ride mostly woods and have been to an occasional MX track/race.

Most people don't realize how great the stock YFZ suspension is. You just need to learn how to tune it for you specifically and sooner or later upgrade to different springs/valving.

Dune Surfer
09-16-2007, 09:26 PM
I went the trx 416,426 route. Too many problems and not nearly as fast as the yfz.

YFZ450Ridr
09-18-2007, 02:04 PM
i was where you are about 2 years ago when i had my z400 still, and im glad i switched!! i ride about the same you do, 85% woods mabye 15% mx and the stock shocks are great for it! they are so incredibly soft stockers it amazes me. between my flexx bars and dampner i will probablly not get shocks rebuilds any time in the near future. i can plow right through rutted and rooted out sections while still maintaining control and comfort.

what i love about mine as opposed to my friends hondas is how low it sits. 3 of my buddies have hondas and they all sit so damn high and the shocks are god awful stuff from factory. as on the other hand, mine is nice and low and very soft! another thing i noticed is mine seems to have more bottom end pull than the hondas, not sure why but it just does. the hondas have a great midrange hit though. my advice, get the yfz!!

James_yfz17
09-19-2007, 05:49 PM
i raced a stock for for about 2 1/2 years and kept up in the intermediate class. Once you get the suspension dialed right for your weight and ability and riding conditions it works great. The only reason i switched to long travel was because I was starting to get to fast and hitting bigger jumps that my stock couldnt handle with my rider weight.

Toadz400
09-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by James_yfz17
i raced a stock for for about 2 1/2 years and kept up in the intermediate class. Once you get the suspension dialed right for your weight and ability and riding conditions it works great. The only reason i switched to long travel was because I was starting to get to fast and hitting bigger jumps that my stock couldnt handle with my rider weight.

Definitely, definitely get to know your suspension and how to tune it correctly! It makes a world of a difference even on your stock suspension.

yfzrider310
09-20-2007, 01:53 PM
go with the yfz im getting mine saturday!!!:D :D