PDA

View Full Version : Factory Suspension Setup

04TRX400EX
09-07-2007, 12:28 AM
So I am getting a little restless with my 400EX and have been thinking about doing two things, but have some questions. My first thought is to keep building my 400 - full TCS setup, 416 bore kit, cam, etc. My other thought is to stop putting money into the 400 (since it will never nbe a 450) and look into getting a 450R. My local dealer is selling leftover '07 450R's for $5300.

My real question has to do with the suspension setup. I've heard (and experienced) that factory Honda settings are extremely stiff, especially on the 450R. I only weigh 140lbs. and don't want to be forced into immediately revalving the shocks because it handles poorly.

So what do you all think? How's the setup from the factory? Are extended a-arms, shock revalves or replacement, and extended axle truly necessary?

BTW, I ride mostly desert and XC with ocassional MX tracks mixed in.

Ty's400
09-07-2007, 06:12 AM
Go with the 450 for sure! For the shocks what you could do is get a different spring setup which only takes a few minutes to setup and isn't super expensive. This will help a lot giving you either a triple or dual spring setup on the front. Check out GT Thunder website for it or even saw kit for sale in 08 Rocky Tucker ATV catalog.

kingdingaling
09-07-2007, 06:37 AM
i jus bought an 07 450r and i have absolutely no complaints!! i did have to tweak the settings a bit but i'm extremely happy with suspension! but gt thunder does sell a front shock conversion kit for i believe $380. it will increase wheel travel, increase sag due to the dual rate springs, and they revalve and (if needed) repair your stock shocks! they also sell a kit for the rear with a new linkage! but overall i think you would be much happier with the 450!