PDA

View Full Version : exhaust leak! HELP!!!!

08trx450er
09-06-2007, 11:40 PM
I have an 08 trx 450er just installed an fmf megabomb header, doesnt seem to match up well with my pro circuit 496 pipe. There is a leak where my pipe meets the header. There is a noticable size difference. Are there any easy fixes? And should i be concerned about the leak? Please help!!!!!

speedfreaksguy
09-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Permatex sells a product called Ultra Copper. That stuff will seal up any exhaust leak. It comes in a tube like silicone. That will help but you may want to look into a clamp.

ESrider
09-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Put up a pic. How big is the size difference between the pipes?

hendershot106
09-07-2007, 09:39 AM
how in the world is this a 5 star thread?????? --- but yeah let us see a pic of the size difference == or maybe send one exhaust part back---- or sell it on ebay and find the matching exhause u need--- usually companies(aftermarket) dont call each other to make sure each others headers and silencers work in conjunction with each other on sizing and flow????/ that is no different than trying to put a sparks silencer on a hmf header?????

08trx450er
09-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Sorry about the pic. Its kind of a hard spot to take a picture. I would say there is a good 1/8 in gap all around. What type of clamp? and if I apply the ultra copper should I also use high temp silicone? sorry about all of the questions. Thank you for the reply`s. As far as the 5 star rating.... Thats my bad. I thought it was a good question. Lol...

4ABURN
09-08-2007, 06:27 AM
my fmf slip on cam with a spacer. one for the stock header and then you take it out if you have there header. maybe cheack out there site. If no time you will have to find something to put around the header yourself. sounds like to much of a gap for anything else...(like silicone) my 2 cents:D

Flyin-Low
09-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Pipes are not suppose to be "mixed and matched"..

Sell the pro circuit and get yourself an FMF can that will actually fit right.

-Martin

aztecgwynn
09-08-2007, 11:32 AM
If I can remember an 85 or 86 Honda ATC 350x had an aluminum ring or something that was softer that fit in the silencer and would slide into the header and would fill in the gap between the header and silencer you might want to try that.

08trx450er
09-08-2007, 07:23 PM
I really appreciate all of the input. It helps out a lot as I am very new to this, and am jumping in head first it seems. I will look at some fmf pipes any suggestions? Is there maybe like a high temp heat shrink tubing? I was not aware of the fact that after market companies were like that. though it makes sense now. I am riding in hollister this weekend and wondering if I should just put the stock header back on. For fear of something going wrong and ruining my trip. Once again thanks for the input guys.:D

4ABURN
09-09-2007, 08:50 AM
I have the FMF Q4 if noise maters this pipe is great sounds good to. If sound does not matter than the 4.1 would be great. build quality is top notch,good power gains( seat off pants)would match that header of yous great.:D

08trx450er
09-12-2007, 08:16 PM
So I took the quad into my local honda service center and they said,and I quote" The gap between the pipe and the header is normal. As the machine warms up the metal will expand and fill the void." They then told me that I will have a little air leak and that it would be fine. No bs this is what they told me. I do believe that I will Be getting the fmf Pipe to match. If you are from california dont take your buisness to gp sports in San Jose. I have had nothing but problems with them. Once again i would like to thank you all for the input on this thread, and hope it will help green necks like my self with future upgrades to their quads. :D