PDA

View Full Version : Banshee problem AGAIN, Only 1 piston running

bansheerider98
09-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Ok i got a banshee and the left-hand piston wont run correctly. It sputters and back fires, But the right-hand side piston runs good. The list of checks i have done i will list so you dont have to re-tell me to do them :)

-new spark plugs
-checked for spark> good spark both sides
-cleaned the carbs thoroughly, even switched left carb to right and right to left ext. still left-side not running
-checked fuel lines
-checked carb adjustments and choke
-cleaned air filter
-checked compression( with my thumb the old school way, i could be wrong on the compression being bad)
-checked for bad fuel

-known problems
-Had to RTV seal my heads to keep coolant in( but was on the side that runs :/ )
-few electrical bugs taillight headlights and some burnt wires i need to check
-stock spark-plug wires ( possibly a problem)

I would GREATLY appreciate anything you guys know to help me get it running, I have a dragrace to get to on Sat afternoon and i will be working on it friday and tonight thursday. so hopefully i can get it done and im not screwed over and need new piston rigns or pistons or something.

RagunCajun
09-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Do a compression test, let me know what it is. then we go from there.

bansheerider98
09-07-2007, 07:05 PM
I actually chenged out the spark plug wires, dicked around with some fryed wires and cleaned the carbs a second time and the mixture was off, so i fixed it, but im going to run a compression test A.S.A.P because it seems to have a slight loss of power

Xater
09-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by bansheerider98
Ok i got a banshee and the left-hand piston wont run correctly. It sputters and back fires, But the right-hand side piston runs good. The list of checks i have done i will list so you dont have to re-tell me to do them :)

-new spark plugs
-checked for spark> good spark both sides
-cleaned the carbs thoroughly, even switched left carb to right and right to left ext. still left-side not running
-checked fuel lines
-checked carb adjustments and choke
-cleaned air filter
-checked compression( with my thumb the old school way, i could be wrong on the compression being bad)
-checked for bad fuel

-known problems
-Had to RTV seal my heads to keep coolant in( but was on the side that runs :/ )
-few electrical bugs taillight headlights and some burnt wires i need to check
-stock spark-plug wires ( possibly a problem)

I would GREATLY appreciate anything you guys know to help me get it running, I have a dragrace to get to on Sat afternoon and i will be working on it friday and tonight thursday. so hopefully i can get it done and im not screwed over and need new piston rigns or pistons or something.

were the drag races in northampton because i was going to race at thos but i crashed friday night.

bansheerider98
09-07-2007, 07:46 PM
No at the Fair our town holds (sterling) its mostly 4X4 ATVS and a long time foe racer goes there to race me every year. Weve been switching on and off wins within 1 sec of eachother for the last few years. I win more but he wont admit it :)

Xater
09-07-2007, 08:02 PM
oh, i was talking to dan (i think thats his name) hes the organizer and he was doing races in northampon at the fair it was last saturday tho (i forgot to read dates) i think he said somthing about the sterling fair too. due to being injured i couldent even watch the event :( i hope to do it next year.

Xater
09-07-2007, 08:05 PM
as for your banshee i would check the reeds and intake.

bansheerider98
09-08-2007, 03:47 PM
yah, i heard about the drag in hampton. sounds cool i want to try it. But anyway, take off the carbs and reed cage and liikat the reeds for craks and such? then inspect the intake once the reed cage is off ?

Xater
09-09-2007, 05:57 PM
yep i would do that, and maked sure its sealed good when you put it back back on.

N2SAND
09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Mine was doing the same thing missing on one side It was the stator.

bansheerider98
09-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Yah ive had my stator fall off to the inside of the sidecase and cause that to mine a while ago, it may b the same problem, but i dont have the tool to get to the stator, so im looking at everything else 1st

N2SAND
09-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Motion pro makes a flywheel puller I think its less than 20 bucks ive only used mine a couple of times but its a good investment. Did you replace the stator when it came loose from the timing plate, if not it prally got beat up by the fly wheel that could be why your having problems with your lights.

firefighterjosh
09-11-2007, 09:20 PM
its seems the left cyclinder is always the one to go first.

My guess it is blown up. Take the reed cage off and left exhaulst. Take a flash light and look at the piston. If it has dark streaks on it, chances are its fried.

RagunCajun
09-12-2007, 02:47 PM
stop messing around and do a comperssin test. If that "bad" cylinder has a low psi, then take the head off, pull the juggs and and see why. It's not that hard to do come on now.

bansheerider98
09-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Got it running, about 6 hours later, i was shooting peices of my nickel plated sleeve outta my exhaust.....

i may have to bore it out im not sure yet, i havent taken the engine out to lookat the sidewalls of my juggs to see if i wore thru the sleeve into the jugg itself.

[Edit] yah i think it may be past doing a compression test

bansheerider98
09-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Took my engine out and took it apart and found out my crank roller bearings blew up and somehow made it to the top of my cylinder and that was my prob, as of now its at my friends house and were tearing the nengine down and aplitting the case, replacing the crappy crankshaft and new pistons and heads, all bearings/seals/gakets, fix my seized clutch shaft and put it back together to go to the wisconsin sand dunes this spring.

ill try to keep you updated, ill have more to say on friday afternoon.

Xater
09-27-2007, 03:02 PM
sounds like it time to drop a stroker in there.

bansheerider98
09-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Yah, are they cheap i never thought of it

Xater
09-27-2007, 06:53 PM
it probly wont be cheep but you have to port it also.

bansheerider98
09-30-2007, 07:40 PM
yeah ordered the parts, it has to be bored 10cc's and new pistons and new crank, the stroker deal, its allready ported & polished, then new gaskets and new head. and new elka long travel front shocks to go with my front end bushing rebuild while the engine is out.

Xater
10-01-2007, 05:57 PM
your port timing has to to be changed for the stroker. you might have to buy a new cylinder if the port you allready have is too agressive. you might be able to do it if you only have a woods port.

bansheerider98
10-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Oh i see, the port i have is real agressive, so maybe i wont go with the stroker. beacuse, thats new pistons, stroker, jugs, new port job... u know wat i mean

RagunCajun
10-07-2007, 03:26 PM
if you are already ported, just leave it a lone. Stroking requires the stuff you said and it's a lot of money for not much power difference. Mine has an aggressive play port and i dont see how anybody would need more power. It spanks the spiffy new 4 strokes in a drag:eek2: ....well for now. the 700r's are getting quick....

bansheerider98
10-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Yeah as of now (well befor i blew i up lol) i spank my friends yzf450 and my brothers 450, but if i race a lowered 700 its a dead match, but if theirs isnt longer or lower then stock i blow their *** away when they flip onto the 12 bar lol

BOSTON GEORGE
11-21-2007, 09:46 PM
WITH ALL THAT WAS SAID NOBODY TOLD YOU TO CHECK YOUR REEDS ALL IT TAKES IS 1 TO POP OFF BUT YOU WONT KNOW IT BECAUSE IT MELTED INSIDE YOUR ENGINE AND IF IT DID THOSE PROBLEMS YOUR HAVING WILL HAPPEN I KNOW FROM EXP

bansheerider98
11-22-2007, 06:35 AM
Yeah, well no need to scream, and i did have to take the carbs/reeds off to lookat my heads and pistons... Well anyway i got it back, my crankshaft wripin bearing blew up and hot sucked up into the combustion chamber, i got the new crank bore job and its back and broken in, its a 389 0o i can smoke a yfz 450 dirtbike now, the 450 atv has no chance anymore,