PDA

View Full Version : 400EX - new tranny bearings, shifts hard after re-assembled

02CR500Rex
09-06-2007, 07:31 PM
I just put a right mainshaft bearing and a left countershaft bearing in my 02 400EX....put all the gears, shift forks and shift drum back in place, now the tranny is hanging. I mated the case halves together and put a pair of vise grips on the shift shaft...upon re-assembly, the tranny was in 5th gear. I tried downshifting to 4th and the external shift mechanism (i think that's what it's called...the little gear that bolts on the outside end of the shift drum...that catches on the little spring loaded thing with the wheel) stuck between gears...I tried dumping some lube down on the shift drum and I had it downshifting (with a hard jerk to the shifter/vice grips) all the way to neutral...it wouldn't hit 1st, but would shift from N, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, N, stick, N, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, N, stick...every now and then it would start to stick between gears, but all I had to do is let off the shifter and hit it again and it would ****. Wel, I flipped the case over on it's side, now it'll shift from N to 2, then stick...won't shift up any further. I even tried spinning the counter and main shafts to get it to drop into gear, but it doesn't help. I'm thinking possibly lack of lube in the grooves in the drum that the forks ride in? I almost 100% positive I put everything back together correctly...I really hate to split it back apart and have to wait a week for the new gasket. Any suggestions? Would much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Paul

skatrdude20
09-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Hey did u have ur tranny aprt, if so,When u put it back together, did you put your shift sprocket to neutral, thats what it says to do in the repair book. I just did the same thing your talking about, like 2 weeks ago. Even if u took it out in 5th, if your tranny was apart, it needs to start in N.

02CR500Rex
09-15-2007, 09:49 PM
hey thanks for the reply, but I figured it out :D Just had to put the front sprocket on and turn it between shifts...kinda like rocking the quad back and forth to get from 5th to 1st when you're sitting still.

Yeah I had the tranny apart...wasn't a fun experience, but it worked out pretty well. I just can't get it to fire now for some reason?