PDA

View Full Version : help with timing key

oleboy87
09-06-2007, 07:29 PM
i have a sparks timing key on order and im wondering where can i get a tool to pull the fly wheel off?

i need one like this!

where can i find one?

GPracer2500
09-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Doesn't the sparks key come with one?

09-06-2007, 07:40 PM
where is the sparks key located and what do you replace? I heard its a great upgrade and gives good gains but my only fear is reliablility. I want my engine to be able to take beating without something going wrong.

oleboy87
09-06-2007, 08:03 PM
yea they say its a great upgrade and i dont beleive it has anthing to do with reliability... and gpracer does it really come with one?

EX LONERIDER
09-06-2007, 08:27 PM
the sparks advance key does come with the removal tool. it came with mine anyways when i ordered it. if it does not let me know i have one you could "borrow".

i did a sparks key on my bike wen it was stock and it was definately noticable especially on the bottom end. no reliability issues either.... it was actually easier to start there after i did it. you'll be happy. probably one of the cheapest most effective upgrade you can do to a 400ex. :macho

oleboy87
09-06-2007, 08:32 PM
where did you buy yours from ex lonerider?

09-06-2007, 09:10 PM
like I said i'm just afraid of reliablility issuses. I dont want to open up my motor and get work done or anything. I stick with the safe things like exhaust, intake, and fuel. Those cant hurt your engine really. Can someone show me or explain where or how to install the sparks advanced timing key?

EX LONERIDER
09-06-2007, 09:51 PM
oleboy i bought mine directly from sparks. and yes they do supply the removal bolt for the flywheel. here's the link for the sparks key (http://www.alwaysopenmall.com/layouts/02/unsecure/item.asp?SiteID=223&DepartmentID=85&CategoryID=949&GroupID=7033&ItemID=31633&StartNum=1&Sort=&ShowPics=0&ListByCode=1&Brand=&GenderAgeGroupID=0&MaxPrice=&SearchString=&ItemCode=&IsOnlyOnSale=0&FromHomePage=0&FromFamily=0&ProductFamilyID=0&RelatedItemID=0) i think it took me all of 20 minutes to install. you'll need a new side case gasket to replace the one on there but it was 5 bux at the dealer.

foxhondarider- its pretty simple. i also did this when all i knew was how to do bolt on's. technically it IS a "bolt on" part..... you just gotta remove the cover and flywheel to get to it. :D all the details on how to do it is in the articles section with a picture to picture instruction guide. sparks advance key installation (http://www.atvriders.com/articles/timingkey400ex.html)

400ex18
09-06-2007, 10:13 PM
hey i had a timmin degree key in my 416 and i ran the hell out of it for 2 years and then sold it! but there pretty relible!

EX LONERIDER
09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
yea... you arent' really changing the reliablity of the motor any... it advances the set timing on the bike. this will make it run hotter since the spark occurs earlier in order to get the added punch but i never noticed it harming anything on the bike over the past 5 years. i now run it with my 440 kit as mentioned on my signature.

hornetgod13
09-06-2007, 11:06 PM
I have one on my quad as well. It took less than an hour from beginning to end to install it. You will definitely need a new left side crankcase gasket and I highly recommend an impact gun for the fly wheel removal and installation. Snappier throttle response and quicker acceleration are what you should expect to get from this mod. For less than $30.00, it's a smart investment.

afterhours
09-07-2007, 10:55 AM
i just ordered the key where is the best place to order a crank case gasket on the east coast?

EX LONERIDER
09-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by afterhours
i just ordered the key where is the best place to order a crank case gasket on the east coast?

servicehonda.com be your best cheapest bet.

09-07-2007, 02:19 PM
someone said it sacrifices top end though

hornetgod13
09-07-2007, 02:43 PM
sevicehonda overcharges on shipping. Check www.bikebandit.com it might be a little cheaper.

JOEX
09-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
servicehonda.com be your best cheapest bet.
The gasket itself may be cheaper but Service Honda has a minimum shipping charge of $9.00.

I bet C&D Racing (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/contact.php) can beat thier price with shipping.;) Plus they are site sponsor:)

09-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
The gasket itself may be cheaper but Service Honda has a minimum shipping charge of $9.00.

I bet C&D Racing (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/contact.php) can beat thier price with shipping.;) Plus they are site sponsor:)

I am still waiting for C&D racing to get their site up to buy things. Does any other place besides Sparks theselves sell the advanced timing key? Stock gaskets on motosport are onjly like $15 at most, I checked. But metal would be better correct? Also don't you have to have it professionally pressed? I know for the head it needed to be professionally pressed otherwise it leaks. Is this so for this or?

JOEX
09-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I am still waiting for C&D racing to get their site up to buy things. Does any other place besides Sparks theselves sell the advanced timing key? Stock gaskets on motosport are onjly like $15 at most, I checked. But metal would be better correct? Also don't you have to have it professionally pressed? I know for the head it needed to be professionally pressed otherwise it leaks. Is this so for this or?
You can contact C&D Racing directly through atvriders.com. They've been doing business through here for a number of years.

No need to wiat for their site to get up and running....

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/contact.php

Or...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36

JOEX
09-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
... I know for the head it needed to be professionally pressed otherwise it leaks. Is this so for this or?
Never heard of that:huh

Regular gaskets are just fine for the side cases. And regular head gaskets are just fine for the head.

09-07-2007, 09:57 PM
now i'm debating this because advancing the timing means the spark is sooner, which means everything has to be sooner. Also the piston fires just pas top dead center, to me i'm afraid of messing anything up. sounds like a good idea but somehow i dont trust things that modify an engine like that

EX LONERIDER
09-07-2007, 11:25 PM
it advances the spark about 6* degrees if i remember right. like i said.... ive had it for the past 5 years on my stock bike and never had any issues. just dont run anything lower then premium or you may ping. i always run premium in mine anyways... and i think minimum octane calls for nothing less then 91 .

i tore the motor appart this past summer to do my 440 kit and the piston, bore, rings and everything didnt show any higher sighns of wear and tear then any other motor ive taken appart. to be honest it still looked like new.

apachepride
09-28-2007, 01:20 PM
ok im looking to do the degree key also and was wondering is their a stock key already their and if so why you cant use it instead of buying a new one are they same size thank you for any info

JOEX
09-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by apachepride
ok im looking to do the degree key also and was wondering is their a stock key already their and if so why you cant use it instead of buying a new one are they same size thank you for any info
This is what the stock key looks like...

JOEX
09-28-2007, 06:02 PM
This what an offset key looks like...

apachepride
09-28-2007, 11:03 PM
thanks for the pic and the info