PDA

View Full Version : Taking out cam chain tensioner

97WarriorRider
09-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Can i just unbolt this from the block and pull it out?

00.400ex#55
09-06-2007, 07:02 PM
thats all i did, the phillips screw was stripped from the previous owner.

97WarriorRider
09-06-2007, 07:04 PM
ok...And you didnt have anyother problems?

dariusld
09-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Yes, you can, but I would unscrew the middle screw first. Its a little easier taking that screw off with it on the bike, then off. It's little harder putting the tensioner back on,but not much.

97WarriorRider
09-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys..my cam chain is extremely loose so im gunne put the tensioner and see if its broke

xveryx
09-07-2007, 06:27 PM
How do u know how to adjust the cam tensioner? I got the service manual and i have a hot cam stage 1 installed in my 400 ex but the service manual didnt really explain it good enough to how its supposed to be adjusted. i hope it not to tight or to lose. How do i find out?

dariusld
09-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by xveryx
How do u know how to adjust the cam tensioner? I got the service manual and i have a hot cam stage 1 installed in my 400 ex but the service manual didnt really explain it good enough to how its supposed to be adjusted. i hope it not to tight or to lose. How do i find out?

Its automatic(self adjusting).

xveryx
09-07-2007, 06:56 PM
then whats the purpose of taking off screw and turning other screw inside of it?

dariusld
09-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by xveryx
then whats the purpose of taking off screw and turning other screw inside of it?

That is so when you reinstall it, you can put it back with no tension. Otherwise it wouldn't seat all the way because the adjuster would be all the way out, so you back it off with the screw. Not clear but the best I can explain it without showing you.

gojk
09-10-2007, 11:51 PM
You can take the tensioner out by just unbolting the 2 8mm bolts, but to reinstall it, you need to take the phillips screw off and then get a small flathead screwdriver to back the tension off of the tensioner. Keep the tensioner all of the way pulled back and then reinstall the 2 8mm bolts. Once they are tight and the camchain and cam are installed and in time, release the tensioner and it should auto tighten to the the needed tension. Then just put the phillips screw back in and you should be all set.

If you don't don't do it in this order, and I know from experience, you will stretch the cam chain if you are lucky, but in my case the tensioner broke letting the cam chain come off off the cam sprocket. And I am sure you can fill in the story from there.

97WarriorRider
09-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah..My tensioner is broke..the spring broke. And instead of just being able to buy a 2 buck spring you have to buy a 50 buck tensioner..kinda pissed me off