PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Case?

bah1491
09-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Im looking at am 04 450R ....its got the athena 480 big bore kit in it....but the guy who has it says it leaks oil near the swingarm....i dont know anything about the 450's, ive only built a 400ex engine. He says it might be a cracked case, or a seal. This guy has no idea, and its in texas, about 18 hours from me in a ohio, so i cant go look at it. is their any type of seal or anything back there that could be leaking? he says the bike runs fine, just leaks oil near the swinger....any help would be appreciated!

heres what the listing said:
"This is a 2004 Honda TRX 450R (KICK START) with an Athena 480 Big Bore Kit. Everything on the bike is in great condition except the motor. One of the cases is cracked near the swingarm so it leaks oil. It still starts and runs it just needs some welding done. A new case only costs about $150 if you know how to fix it. "

pro-rider46
09-06-2007, 06:07 PM
if it is only 150 to fix it, plus the gaskets, it doesnt sound to bad, but it is really far away,

bah1491
09-06-2007, 06:08 PM
i didnt mention how great the price is....or what all the bike has on it though....i wouldnt drive to texas with no great reason haha

so not likley to b e any type of seal or gasket then?

pro-rider46
09-06-2007, 06:21 PM
well it could be a seal or gasket, but you would need to see it to tell. if your willing to drive there and your willing to swap a few parts to fix it, i say go for it. just out of curiousity how much is this thing

bah1491
09-06-2007, 06:23 PM
yea....lets put it this way....if i get it, and i dump $500 in the motor...i wouldnt be getting hurt....i can get it for 4000, and he'll drive half way....

Here is a list of the parts it has on it. Red Powdercoated and Gusseted Frame, Black Powdercoated subframe and Gusseted, Black JB Long Travel +2 A-arms, Elka Long Travel Quad Rate Front Shocks(180lb.), Brand New Elka Rear Long Travel Shock, Brand New Elka Dual Linkage, Brand New Elka System 5 Steering Dampner(awsome), Houser Racing Steering Stem +2 Brand New(one ride), Black IMS Roll Design Nerf Bars w/ pro pegs, Tag Handlebars, Moose Racing Clutch Lever, Blingstar Bumper, Brand New Yoshimura TRC Slip-on w/Yoshimura Header, Quad Tech Hood Scoop, Dominator +2 Axle, 8x8 Douglas Beadlocks w/MXR 4's (60% tread), Front ITP Bajas w/Kenda Claws, Hinson Rev Box (1000 extra rpm!!!!