PDA

View Full Version : Favorite shock maker

honda8&3
09-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Post some pics of your aftermarket shocks. My next shocks on the 250x will be TCS. Not sure 'bout rezzies or not, what are your guys opinions.:)

mineralgrey01gt
09-06-2007, 04:01 PM
im gonna pick up some Elka's for the 250r next

DEVINF450R
09-06-2007, 06:37 PM
I had longtravel TCS fronts on my 450r and loved them....but I voted for fox b/c I have rode a set of them and nothing compares

allstock
09-06-2007, 06:44 PM
i like my axis but im switching to fox or ohlins titanium once i get the money

09-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Works are basically as good as most of the other companies IMO. They are cheap but are great. Ohlins, TCS, & Axis and a few other of course are top of the line but you have to have money to get those

A A R O N
09-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Works are basically as good if not better than most of the other companies.

Okay, so Ohlins, TCS, and Axis are better. That's a start. I'm assuming you have ridden elka, pep, stadium, progressive and fox to say that works perform just as well or better?

09-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by A A R O N
Okay, so Ohlins, TCS, and Axis are better. That's a start. I'm assuming you have ridden elka, pep, stadium, progressive and fox to say that works perform just as well or better?

Alright just like you said a revalve is better than Works but then you said you have never ridden a quad with Works suspension. Yeah pep is better but elka isnt all that. Its good but mostly a name. Shock performance doesnt vary that much. And what with all the harsh replies you keep giving me man saying i'm either wrong or something. This is an OPINION!

A A R O N
09-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Alright just like you said a revalve is better than Works but then you said you have never ridden a quad with Works suspension. Yeah pep is better but elka isnt all that. Its good but mostly a name. Shock performance doesnt vary that much. And what with all the harsh replies you keep giving me man saying i'm either wrong or something. This is an OPINION!

First of all, I have ridden a quad with works shocks on it. You must have me confused with somebody else. I also know that works are NOT anything special and are at the bottom of my list of aftermarket shocks that i'd buy. Elkas are over rated like you said, but they are still way out in front of works as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I did say that a stock revalve and link that is done right is better than a works shock and until you ride both like I have you have no business telling me otherwise.

I think i speak for everyone on this site when I say that you need to stop making conclusions about things you don't know about. This site is a good place to get information, but it's a shame to see that there are tons of people out there reading your comments that are possibly believing them.......because a lot of them are WRONG.

I have no problem with you stating your opinion, but you have to MAKE IT AN OPINION then. Don't say works are better than anything, because YOU DON'T KNOW. Just say, "I've ridden works, and they seem to be a ton better than stock." Leave it at that because that's all you know as a fact.

......also, if you could explain how pep's have more of an advantage over works than elka does that would be great. The inside of pep shocks are more like works than elkas are.

"shock performance doesn't vary that much"

....lmao, there's not much to say about that statement then the fact that you proved my point about you....

go read a dirtwheels magazine....

zrpilot
09-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Shock performance doesnt vary that much.

Really? I know that statement is an uninformed opinion!

09-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Over stock shocks you will notice a differnce really in any atermarket shock. and unless you have ridden something with other brands you don't know which is best, its mostly opinion. That was my point. As in performance wise they are all way better than stock and unless you have tried diffent suspension you dont rightly know if 1 is that much better than the other

A A R O N
09-07-2007, 08:09 PM
whoa

Jersey450R
09-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by A A R O N
whoa

FOR REAL GUYS! :mad:

DEVINF450R
09-08-2007, 10:18 AM
I have notified FoxHondaRider several times of his unexperienced and unfactual advise:rolleyes: Plus I have seen the caliber of QuadMX guys in Florida... a mid/back pack c-rider here in D-18 that rides a z-400, raced a mid- A-rider in Florida and almost beat him...

To add my opinion of PEP shocks, I rode a 450r that had 250r shocks revalved and resprung for a 450r and a rider of similar weight and I thought that they were no where close to my TCS shocks that I had on my Honda. I have rode an LTR with Fox Evols and they were very plush and took big hits nicely, but I did notice more roll in corners but they were set-up for a 130 pound rider and I am 180,

09-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by DEVINF450R
I have notified FoxHondaRider several times of his unexperienced and unfactual advise:rolleyes: Plus I have seen the caliber of QuadMX guys in Florida... a mid/back pack c-rider here in D-18 that rides a z-400, raced a mid- A-rider in Florida and almost beat him...

To add my opinion of PEP shocks, I rode a 450r that had 250r shocks revalved and resprung for a 450r and a rider of similar weight and I thought that they were no where close to my TCS shocks that I had on my Honda. I have rode an LTR with Fox Evols and they were very plush and took big hits nicely, but I did notice more roll in corners but they were set-up for a 130 pound rider and I am 180,

See now he can tell you which would be better because he has tried differnet companies. This was a FAVORITE SHOCK MAKER poll and I chose Works just because of the fact I like them because the average person can afford them and they are nice. Then I got crucified for saying that they are good.

DEVINF450R
09-08-2007, 12:55 PM
NO...you said they were as good as cetain other shock brands that you have never even tried out. So your opinion is not a valid one... you can say that you like your works shock...that is acceptable feedback. But I can bet the only reason you are all about works is b/c you have one on your quad

09-08-2007, 08:54 PM
NO...you said they were as good as cetain other shock brands that you have never even tried out. So your opinion is not a valid one... you can say that you like your works shock...that is acceptable feedback. But I can bet the only reason you are all about works is b/c you have one on your quad

I never intended to have a fight because of my opinion on works shocks. And no i dont have works shock on my quad, my quad has stock suspension

procircuit406ex
09-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Back to the threads purpose...out of all the shocks I've rode, I'm going to say Axis all the way. I rode a 450R a few weeks ago with them all around and it was the smoothest thing I've ever rode. If not Axis, I love the feel of P.E.P.'s...

procircuit406ex
09-08-2007, 09:26 PM

m.h.s.c.#527
09-08-2007, 09:42 PM
elkas are fine imo

yfz450rida
09-09-2007, 06:40 PM
I have been racing several years and tried a lot of things, i have only raced on fox evos,elka elites, axis, and pep. from my experiences:
Elka- they are very good shock But if you buy them u might as well send them out to get fine tuned they are a mass produced and there is a lot more to get out of them then right out of the box

Fox Evos- if you like plush these are another good choice. they are very nice But they do produce more body roll than a coil over, on another note fox relized that and they updated the new ones wit hstiffer negative spring tho reduce roll and they have had hi-low comp out for over a year now. i just felt like i had to put more body english whe ncornering and stuff on these. but straight throw the ruff stuff they were A+. i have not tried the new hi-low speed one but i hear they made a big improvement in the body roll and cornering with the updates.

Axis- well i personal race and i have a set of axis and elka but i would say that axis are out of the box beautiful shocks they work great i think they accept adjustments better and give more feedback but on the downside they have a price tag if you want ti-spring which i hear the have been having problems, and replacing them due to fatigue in the spring.

PEP- these are probaly my favorite and i will be replacing my elkas with pep or axis next season. The have all the qualities of axis and elka(relating to the coilover feeling) and still fell like you are riding on fox shocks. Some people like a coil shock better the feel more responsive i have heard. these are a very plush shock they kinda got that springy feel, like they spring are doing alot and the valving comes in on big hits. were as, again, in my opinion elkas have more a a valving feel meaning the valves do the work.

just my .02

09-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Good info because he has tried a few brands

DEVINF450R
09-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Right...now you are getting it... didn't mean to come off as a dick.... its just people get on here and take opinions seriously and the opinions need to be valid.....

09-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Right...now you are getting it... didn't mean to come off as a dick.... its just people get on here and take opinions seriously and the opinions need to be valid.....

cant agree more but people need to learn to do some research besides an opinion and opnion is someones way of viewing something. So I guess I wont be posting what I thik much if people are going to assume its right or wrong. I just like Works cause their cheap :D

DEVINF450R
09-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I have found the hard way with this stuff...you get what you pay for...if you can't afford high end you wait till you can find the high end used on ebay....used high end is better than brand new low end...esp when you are talking about shocks and stuff that are rebuildable and don't really wear out

or you just get all your stuff at least half off through sponsors:D

yfz450rida
09-11-2007, 12:02 PM
i would have to say in my opinion i wouldn't short your self on suspension buy the best you can afford and relized the needs for your shocks. I dont feel someone needs to go out and but quad rate 1650 dollar shocks cause they look cool but if you are serious about racing and plan to do it and move up they can be a good payoff in the end. i started on stock shocks for a year when i relized i was serious about racing and need more out of my quad i upgraded to standard travel shocks and widened my bike out, the following year i sold everything and bought long travel and started to develope tuning skills with my suspension it makes a big difference if you bike is working good or ur just hanging on. so i conclusion if i could have done it all over i would have saved for a long travel set up right from the start. but thats not for everyone what ever suits ur needs and wallet.

250rmike
09-11-2007, 01:38 PM
i didnt bote because i have not tried all of those brands although i would like to try axis and fox. i have tcs lt right now and i havent got them dialed in yet so im not going to make any assumtions other than they feel like a really stiff shock and i like to have a nice plush ride not one thats going to beat me to death unless im going off something really big. now i have had elkas(lt) and i had them set up alittle better before the bike got stolen again these were only fronts but i liked the feel better the rear ive always had a tcs rebuild but again i need to get the new bike dialed in so for right now im going with elka just a personal preference