PDA

View Full Version : Shifting problems with my '91 250X

bdf136
09-06-2007, 08:21 AM
OK,

So after a long labor day weekend of hard riding, my transmission decided to yell at me.

I don't know what specifically happened, but all of a sudden it wouldn't let me shift into 3rd gear. Here is what I can do though...

I can be in neutral, shift down to first gear, and then shift up to second gear. However, when I shift into 2nd gear the shifter gets stuck up. If you try to manually push the shifter back down it goes into neutral.

When the shifter is in the up position (and the bike is in 2nd gear) you can't shift up any higher. The shifter won't move and you are basically stuck with 2nd gear being the highest gear you can get into.

Anybody have any idea? I hate the idea of ripping the entire engine apart to see if the gears are broken. Could this just be a linkage problem with the shifter?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

bdf136
09-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Nobody have any help on this one? Come on.

I'm considering selling it and buying something else if I can't get it working.

bwamos
09-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Havent seen that too many times. The one time I have seen it it ended up being a bolt backing out under the stator side cover causing a part to hang-up when shifting.

Could be that, or a bent dog, or any number of things.

Sorry I'm not much help.

2muchquad
09-11-2007, 01:51 PM
i have seen the bolt loosen up that holds the shifter "star" against the drum.It was probably my fault because during bottomend reassembly i didnt loctite it.Pull the stator cover off and check it out.It could be something minor.

bdf136
02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
You guys were right. It was the bottom bolt holding the plate against the shift drum assembly!

All I had to buy was a gasket and one new bolt.