PDA

View Full Version : TRX300FW Spark Issue

ZeiK
09-06-2007, 06:15 AM
I Have a 1994 Honda TRX300FW

Got it from my Dad he has repalced the Cdi, Stator, Coil, Battery, Spark Plug,Pulse Generator, & Rectifier

When you crank it with the start button it cranks with out a spark until you release the start button and then it fires once.

I have had a few people tell me they have heard of this problem but could not remember what fixed it

Have Taken cotinuity and resistance tests on stator and coil they look good Have checked the ign. switch and Engine stop switch they look good

Checked Diode according to manual should run positive on Meter to + side of Diode and Negative on meter to - side of diode with a reading and switch other way you should not get any reading I get the opposite results was wondering if my repair manual has a miss print or if there is any way this could be causing my problem?? Does not Say in manual what problem would occur from a bad diod. Back of Diode Reads - >| +

Also is it possible the pulse regulator is good but there is some reason it is not picking up the fire signal I am not sure exactly how it functions but when I test it with ohm meter for resistance between the blue/yellow and ground I get a good reading?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Francois
10-24-2007, 04:01 PM
This sounds like almost the same problem i am having. Sometimes it cranks and runs fine. Sometimes it wont crank, when it does not, it also has no spark. I have check all connectors for corrosion. I have not changed any parts yet really don't even know where to start. If anyone could help I kinda need to get it fixed, hunting quad you know.

trx300fw

ZeiK
10-24-2007, 04:56 PM
I am confused are you having cranking problem or spark problem? It cant spark if it is not cranking

Francois
10-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Sorry my explanation skills are lacking i know.

Ok
Sometimes the quad cranks and runs fine. Either it will die out on me or wont start running off the back. When it does not run, the the Oil light blinks, the engine will turn over, but does not get any spark from the plug to run. The oil is not hot the quad most times, has not even run yet, or not for long at all. Oil is filled correctly. New filter, changed it again. Turned the engine over with the filter out, and it sprays oil from the oil filter passage all over my shop. I am confident it is getting oil. I am almost positive it has nothing to do with oil at all. Believe it is some type of electrical problem. I have looked for bare wires, corroded connectors, nothing found. All the fenders off the quad, so i can see everything well. Kinda at a dead end, my trouble shooting skills on these small engines are like my explanations skills, lacking. Thanks in advance for any help can be given.:confused:

ZeiK
10-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Well not sure if your problem is same as mine it would not start at all. When yours wont start do you get any spark at all ?

I was getting a spark when I released the start button.

make sure your connections at the stator to the rectifier are all good I had someone give me a service bulltin from honda saying there was a problem there

round plug with three yellow wires

Francois
10-26-2007, 07:00 AM
When it will not run i don't get any spark at all not even when i let off the button. Also the Oil temp light blinks constantly. I know when you turn on the key it comes on then goes off after a few moments. But it doesn't, just starts blinking as soon as the key is on. Thanks Ill check them all again maybe i missed something. Could the rectifier be bad?

ZeiK
10-26-2007, 04:53 PM
not sure probably best to get a test meter and start checking things

Francois
11-08-2007, 11:39 AM
CDI Box is my problem. Not so bad right except My mechanic says backorder for 6 months. Called local shops none in stock also back ordered. Story i got from one dealer is the unit is being redesigned. Kind of strange since they don't make this quad anymore.

ZeiK
11-08-2007, 04:13 PM
What year is the one you are working on

I have one off a 94 TRX300FW

When my Dad was having all the problems he bought a new CDI it turned out to not be the problem. Have tested old CDI on a runnning 95 TRX300FW it works fine.

They are the same from 94-97

Francois
11-12-2007, 10:04 AM
DAM mine is 98.
I appreciate the offer though.
Thanks for the help!

Sure wish I could help you with yours, but sounds like you know more than me.

Francois
11-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Its running found one on shelf at a dealer in a smaller town. This one is a little different has two wires coming out. Parts guy says its for the optional cooling fan. CDI part # 30410-hm5-s01. Guess that gives me an excuse to add the fan and maybe a oil cooler.

ZeiK
11-15-2007, 04:59 AM
:cool:

keens atv
02-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Im a machanic at a atv shop and sometimes the soleniod will cause this ,the starter will spin over fine but it want fire untill you let of the button . It will go bad and draw your spark down to nothing.