PDA

View Full Version : Pissed off to no end...

Titanium
09-05-2007, 09:07 PM
alrite so i still have that rounded lugnut stuck on my quad. i tried a lug nut splitter and i wouldn't work because its to big to fit in the the wheel. so i decided to try and take the hub off with the wheel included and i couldnt break the castle nut loose that holds the hub on. I was using a 10ft piece of cheater pipe and i still couldn't break the castle nut loose. anybody got any suggestions?

coolguy8769
09-05-2007, 09:10 PM
cotter pin?

EX lvr
09-05-2007, 09:10 PM
you took the cotter pin out of the castle nut right?

Titanium
09-05-2007, 09:13 PM
yea i did. thats why i cant figure out why this thing wont come off. i cant even guess how they got in on there that tight. my impact wouldnt even budge it either.

gncc025
09-05-2007, 09:20 PM
go with all the simple stuff first. try pb blaster, that stuff has worked wonders for me.

Titanium
09-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by gncc025
go with all the simple stuff first. try pb blaster, that stuff has worked wonders for me.

where can i get some

Jake250ex
09-05-2007, 09:28 PM
heat it up

Titanium
09-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
heat it up

i thought about it but wouldn't it hurt my aluminum rims?

09-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by gncc025

PB is amazing for anything!

squeaky shocks? spray some pb on them.
dirty engine? spray some pb on it (and work it with a brush)
bolt wont loosen? shoot it up with some PB

lol it works for anything.

09-05-2007, 09:34 PM
oooooooooohhhhhhh god. just take a chisel and a hammer and chisel away the old lug nut till you can get it lose. i did it like 2 times on lug nuts, and once on my stripped subframe bolts.

gncc025
09-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
i thought about it but wouldn't it hurt my aluminum rims?

u can get the pb at walmart.

u can just heat up the nut, so it will expand a little, but dont heat it up too much because then the bolt and nut both will expand which puts u back in the same predicament. id do the simplest things first though

Titanium
09-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
oooooooooohhhhhhh god. just take a chisel and a hammer and chisel away the old lug nut till you can get it lose. i did it like 2 times on lug nuts, and once on my stripped subframe bolts.

what about the castle nut? im really in need of knowing how to get that off cus im plannin on putin a lonestar axle on here pretty soon.

gncc025
09-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
PB is amazing for anything!

squeaky shocks? spray some pb on them.
dirty engine? spray some pb on it (and work it with a brush)
bolt wont loosen? shoot it up with some PB

lol it works for anything.

yep best 3$ investment u can make

firefighterjosh
09-05-2007, 11:05 PM
chissel and hammer or a dremel tool. Just take your time

rancherrider69
09-06-2007, 07:41 AM
remember righty tighty lefty loosy;)

ATV Chic
09-06-2007, 08:21 AM
torch it! :devil:

trx520chk
09-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Go with the PB Blaster ~ the shyt works awesome! Let it soak in for a little while, just don't get it on you, it's nasty stuff!

Good luck! :D

chris46250r
09-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Titanium
alrite so i still have that rounded lugnut stuck on my quad. i tried a lug nut splitter and i wouldn't work because its to big to fit in the the wheel. so i decided to try and take the hub off with the wheel included and i couldnt break the castle nut loose that holds the hub on. I was using a 10ft piece of cheater pipe and i still couldn't break the castle nut loose. anybody got any suggestions?

Come on now, something aint right here. With a 10 ft pipe you should have twisted the threads off the end of the axle, broke the breaker bar or socket or broke the castle nut loose. Maybe you just aint bringing enough arse to the show.

Titanium
09-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Come on now, something aint right here. With a 10 ft pipe you should have twisted the threads off the end of the axle, broke the breaker bar or socket or broke the castle nut loose. Maybe you just aint bringing enough arse to the show.

i'm pretty sure that whoever put the castle nut on did something wrong because my impact wouldn't even break it loose turned up to its highest setting. A guy that works at our local repair shop even tried to get the castle nut off and he couldnt even budge it with his impact or his cheater pipe so i dunno wat to say to you. Im just going to take a dremmel to the lug nut tonight and when i put my new axle on i'll just have to torch the castle nut off i guess.

ZeroLogic
09-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Cut it off.

bwamos
09-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Perhaps they used loc-tite on the castlenut? Dunno why anyone would, but anyhting is possible. If so heating it a bit with a torch will help break that loose if it is blue loc-tite. If it's high temp (red), good luck.

whiteboycustom
09-06-2007, 09:35 AM
try to turn it to tighten the nut then to loosen it and work it back and forth, ive had good luck with a chisal and hammer and notching the nut then get a flat tip screw driver and put it into the notch and hammering it loose

also have u tried vise grips or something or hammering on a socket

pb is some bad stuff but smells like shiot

and if ur gettin a new axle have some fun and cut ur axle in 2 haha

or whats better is a air chisal that will do the trick

smr
09-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Perhaps they used loc-tite on the castlenut? Dunno why anyone would, but anyhting is possible. If so heating it a bit with a torch will help break that loose if it is blue loc-tite. If it's high temp (red), good luck.

Sounds like someone has used loc-tite. Heat will do it. Without heating it you will never get it off..I use loc-tite at work all the time. Heat or loc-tite remover is the only things that will work.

To answer the question about why loc-tite a castlenut....it's the best fix for a worn out axle or hub. Most likely somebody put it on a worn out hud and it leaked onto the castle nut.

the best way to remove your lugnut is to grind the back side of the stud, after you do that the stud will drive rite through. Then go to any auto parts store and get a new stud.

Scro
09-06-2007, 12:33 PM
I know it may have been hard to do, but do you think somebody may have it crossthread the nut?

Ghost-Rider
09-06-2007, 01:09 PM
What is this thing ? The tire from hell ?

416exfreak
09-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Quite possibly ghost-rider....quite possibly...:blah:

Titanium
09-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Well i took a chisel and a hammer to it for 2 hours. i chiseled away half of the lug nut. tomorrow im goin to try a drimmel tool to get it off. Im havin trouble gettin base of the lug nut ground down enough to break in half. i'm gettin so tired of this. I just want to ride:( . and i feel handicapped because i cant get a lug nut off:eek2: :( . i never thought this would turn out to such a long process.:grr:

piggsy
09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Man, oh man. You need to dremmel 2 flat spots on the lug nut and try to get some large locking pliers in there. If you shave enough of the nut off, it will crack at the
thin spot and twist off. Use PB blaster, and do not cut into your wheel.

Good luck.

Aceman
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Wow, what a pain in the arse this has become.

I don't know if it'll help you now but something I guarantee would of worked would of been welding onto the nut. You just need to buy a nut a little larger than the lug stud so the nut will slip over it, then take the quad+nut to a muffler shop. These guys are pros at mig welding in tight quarters and they could of welded the new nut right onto the old nut and bingo you've got something you can put a socket onto and zip off with your impact. Flip the guy a few bucks and be on your way.

I don't know why everyone keeps suggesting PB blaster to remove a rounded lugnut either. PB is for breaking loose stuck fasteners, not rounded off fasteners you have no intention of spinning off.:huh He's trying to cut it off, how is PB blaster going to help?

piggsy
09-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
I don't know why everyone keeps suggesting PB blaster to remove a rounded lugnut either. PB is for breaking loose stuck fasteners, not rounded off fasteners you have no intention of spinning off.:huh He's trying to cut it off, how is PB blaster going to help?

Well, my guess is that the nut was rounded off because it is stuck to the threads. PB blaster seems to help in these situations. It certainly can not hurt in using the method I stated earlier. He may be able to get locking pliers in there to save the threads.

The threads are going to be trashed anyway if you just beat on the lug nut with a chisel to break it off.

Here's an idea if you just want to remove the lug stud: Grind it smooth
to the inside of the hub and then punch it out. I don't know if you can have a new lug stud pressed in, or just install a new hub.

STEVENJANNA
09-07-2007, 07:11 AM
When you finally get it off, I have a brand new LSR axle you can have for $325 shipped. You can spray PB Blaster on that it all you want:D

Rulz
09-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Sell the quad if you can't remove a lug or axle nut!!!

Titanium
09-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by STEVENJANNA
When you finally get it off, I have a brand new LSR axle you can have for $325 shipped. You can spray PB Blaster on that it all you want:D

how much ride time you got on it? and gashes on it or anything?

STEVENJANNA
09-07-2007, 07:30 AM
It's brand new in the box. It was mounted in a display bike them removed.

Titanium
09-07-2007, 07:39 AM
It's brand new in the box. It was mounted in a display bike them removed.

how much wider is it than stock?

STEVENJANNA
09-07-2007, 07:41 AM
It will go from stock to +4 depending on how wide you want it. I also have the blank warranty card too.

STEVENJANNA
09-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Your inbox is full

Titanium
09-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Your inbox is full

fixed. sry about that:rolleyes:

Titanium
09-07-2007, 05:10 PM
well i got even more pissed off today and took a cutting wheel to the back of the lug. its finally off! its about time.

Aceman
09-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Your inbox is full

Nice buddy!

This guy is "pissed off to no end" and you see it as an opportunity to sell him a $300+ axle. If that's not a true salesman, I don't know what is!:D

By the way, can I sell you a replacement lugnut?:devil:

STEVENJANNA
09-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
Nice buddy!

This guy is "pissed off to no end" and you see it as an opportunity to sell him a $300+ axle. If that's not a true salesman, I don't know what is!:D

By the way, can I sell you a replacement lugnut?:devil:

The only thing that makes a good salesman is the sale.

By the way, Titanium did I mention how good the YFZ looks with and LSR axle?:D