PDA

View Full Version : All you YFZ guys, i have some q's

Hondamaster5505
09-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Right now i'm riding a 400ex.
When i went riding the last time, i got to ride my dads friends' 2007 yfz450. It had an HMF system, cam mod, and something else. I loved it!

Now my dad has a banshee, and it is still faster with only basic mods also, and i love the 2-stroke hit, but im looking for something thats better handling and more trail-friendly.

After i pay my 400 off, i was looking into a yfz.
My questions:

1. Are the 05's good? I wouldnt have alot of money to work with..
2. Do they have a bucking problem when you jump them? The 400 has it bad..
3. Is there a big power difference between 05-07?

Im only 13, but i can handle hi-po quads real well, being ive ridden banshee's, a yfz, and all other ones.

All help is appreciated!

07yfz88trx
09-05-2007, 07:34 PM
supposabely a 07 will beat a 05 by 2 quad lengths in a drag stock but there pretty close me and my friend are both pretty close every time we go out and drag and he has an 05 and i have an 07 but i think my bike is a little faster. I also love the way my bike jumps i think youll probably like the way the yfz jumps better then the 400ex. My friends 400ex with yoshimura, nmotion, paddles and a lot of other stuff i dont remember gets killed by my yfz and i can out jump him easily on my yfz usually like double what he jumps but i dont think hes the greatest rider

Hondamaster5505
09-05-2007, 07:54 PM
kool, thanks.
Its real funny though, when other people hear im riding quads like these, there all surprised, its all what you grow up wit.
Ive driven faster quads than some adults do. haha.
the banshee is ****.in wicked though, i wish i can put i banshee motor in a yfz frame, i can, but it would be alot of work...

Toadz400
09-06-2007, 09:54 AM
I would say just stick with your 400EX and put some money into some decent suspension. You're still only 13 so you have plenty of time before you're able to race (if that's what you eventually plan on doing). I don't see why you need to take a loss on your 400 by selling it just to pay a lot more for a 450.

I'm not sure what bucking problem you're talking about with your 400, never had that problem with mine, but I would look into getting a new linkage and shock from GT Thunder to solve that problem. Get a good set of shocks up front and learn as much as you can about dialing in shocks and you will be able to go just as fast as the 450's on any track or trail.

Hondamaster5505
09-06-2007, 01:33 PM
well, its not really handling, its the power, itll cost me 1500 or more to build it to be as fast as a piped 450, and itll still be a low-end grunt bike. If i sell my 05, i can get around 3500, and i seen some already piped yfz's 2004-2005, in the 3200-3300 range.

Yes, the yfz also handles nicer, but i like power.

Im 13, but im a fairly good rider, and dont plan on racing, i just want a kick *** trail bike that'll still give my dads banshee some competition. but i still have a while to think bout it..

07yfz88trx
09-06-2007, 07:54 PM
i love my 450 over my friends 400ex no offense to you guys with good 400s but his is horrible i kill his bike at anything and hes been riding way longer than me. Hes got paddles k&n yoshimura pipe and a lot of other stuff i cant remember but he cant even come close to me in a drag hes always like 10 to 15 quad lengths behind me no joke. i know theres a lot of fast 400s out there but with his bike i really dont have any respect for the 400s right now 2 me it seems really weak.

Hondamaster5505
09-07-2007, 02:13 PM
i like the 400, its alright, but like you said, the yfz smokes it by like 10-15 lengthes. My dads banshee beat it by like 20 lengthes. lol. The 400 is good for what its ment for, im just looking for that lil extra oomph everywhere. And i dont feel like dumping 1500 into it to get 35-40hp, when a piped 450 with airfilter makes 45-50. And they're great jumpers :blah:

Toadz400
09-07-2007, 04:26 PM
So what kind of riding are you doing? Drag racing? Freestyle? Trail riding?

I don't see how you'll become any faster of a rider on the trails by getting a YFZ. A friend of mine still has a 400 and he races with other 450's and keeps up just fine. I'm actually faster on the trails with a Banshee than a 400EX and YFZ450 and both of them handle much better. It's the rider that determines how fast you go. Now if you are strictly worried about straight-line power, just get a cheap Banshee and mod it out.

I've owned all three machines and I have to say that if you want the best all around machine and want it to be cheap, stay with what you have.

Hondamaster5505
09-07-2007, 05:05 PM
i ride at coalmines, wide open, trails, and fireroads. the yfz is faster in the open, i can go faster in the trails, (rode one b4) and faster on fireroads, i also like to jump, which the yfz is also better at...

Crazy lil punk
09-07-2007, 07:07 PM
I have both, and they both have their good points, I really like my yfz, and thats my "getting made into" track bike, they 400ex is great for all-around riding, where are you at in s-burg? My parents have a house in cresco.

Hondamaster5505
09-07-2007, 09:21 PM
im actually in brodheadsville, PA, but real close to the SB area, i put SB cuz not alot of people are familar with Brodheadsville

And Im turning 14 in 12 days!

Toadz400
09-09-2007, 10:23 PM
I still say stick with the 400EX. I used to ride my 400EX in all those conditions and now I ride my YFZ in those conditions. Sure the YFZ has some more "umph" to it but are you going for the gold against your buddies out riding? It's your money though and if you're really set on it, get a YFZ.

Dr89
10-29-2007, 01:56 PM
if i were you i wouldnt get the 450 yet, just get better at riding...then step it up...even when i was 15 i was still on a blaster and was saving up for a 400, and when it came time to hit the trails i'd smoke anyone we rode with, always ended up waiting at the end of trail. in those tight spots its ALL YOU, the 400 will be easier to grow on as a rider.

my buddy has a super intense banshee, pipe, filters, no air box, boost bottle, high comp pistons, port and polish, the works...he didnt hold a match to me in the trails, not on my blaster, my 300's my kfx, and especially not my yfz...all im trying to say is that for the type of riding you do power comes last, 20 hp or 45 hp, it doesn't matter if your not riding at your full potential.

by all means, one day yes get a yfz, i love it, could never go back to a 400 now...BUT, its better to take your time....your ex shouldn't "buck" make sure your blipping the throttle at the top and if you have to, lean back, but you should always have plenty of control over you bike in the air, especially a 400ex.

Hondamaster5505
10-29-2007, 04:12 PM
i decided a couple days ago that im gonna go 440, hot cam, carb, and some other little things, if i cant get a 45hp bike now, ill make mine 42 and get a little better, eventually get a yfz for the handling and crap in the future. I rode all of these difeerent bikes, and want a banshee the most out of all of them. But i decided on 450 because of modern technology and less maintence. I can handle anything in trails, i was even considering a big *** DS650, but i mainly want more go go juice for the straights and hill climbing. so 440 now, and some time, maybe 16. ill get a yfz.

I myself also had a blaster, and loved it. i can jump that thing great! i miss it very much, but sold it and got the 400exs this past year,

The worst mistake me and my dad did is buying a trailboss 250. He got it for me, and what a piece of **** that thing was. Then i got the blassie =]

Dr89
10-29-2007, 06:02 PM
sounds good dude...haha yea i've been the trailboss/trailblazer route before, long long ago...whew so much wasted time...haha

Hondamaster5505
10-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Dr89
sounds good dude...haha yea i've been the trailboss/trailblazer route before, long long ago...whew so much wasted time...haha

yeah, it was a real piece of horse ****!

The suspension didnt move.
It was anoemic power-wise
it was a 2-stroke that wasnt even reed inducted and didnt have an expansion chamber

im glad we sold that giant rolling problem. haha

klutch
11-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Ok well i am 15 i ride a an 01 300ex, i ride all styles except drag. In my opinion its all rider my favorite riding is trail, my buddy has a yfz and i blow him away on a 300ex pretty sad aint it? He doesn't know what hes doing and tends to crash constantly. My buddy on his banshee gets the stuck on the wimpiest of terrain. Racing MX i tend to keep up with the 450s on my 300 until i get to the straight aways.... but besides that i love my 300... same with when i use my dad's 400ex... and on his 400 i tend to keep up with the 450s... you just have to know what you are doing. On my 300ex i blow em away because i can control it and am a better rider than most of my friends.