PDA

View Full Version : roost protector

mod440ex
09-05-2007, 03:16 PM
what brands are you guys using and how do you like them?

Flyin-Low
09-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Why worry about roost when your out front?? :D

I used to have a Fox one when I first got my EX but I couldn't stand wearing the thing.. haven't worn one since. The tracks around here are mostly sand so it's not too bad though.

-Martin

Ghost-Rider
09-05-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't use one, but i suppose racers might need it, but is it really that bad ?

BlaineKaiser450
09-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
is it really that bad ? yea there is nothing quite like getting roosted by a works 450:ermm: btw i wear a fox

allstock
09-05-2007, 04:12 PM
i have a fox but im looking into one of those thor ones that go under your jersey

mod440ex
09-05-2007, 04:14 PM
im not so much worried about roost, but i bailed off mine a couple of weeks ago and landed on my back and bruised my kidney and dislocated a rib, and i am looking for a little protection from handlebars in the ribs

Ghost-Rider
09-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, are you guys talking about chest protectors ? sorry i thought you meant those roost shields for your helmet.

mod440ex
09-05-2007, 04:24 PM
no i thought they were called roost protectors, at least thats what they call them in rocky mountain

procircuit406ex
09-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I have a Fox one, I like it when I wear it...

ingleful
09-05-2007, 05:49 PM
i have a fox one..

trxwannbe
09-05-2007, 06:13 PM
most companies refer to the protective equpiment meant to be worn under a jersay a roost deflecter and the outer ones chest protecterors. I use a thor chest protector and have used a thor roost deflector and i will definitely have another roost deflector next year much more comfortable and easier to move around in and i would suggest a kidney belt to allows you to ride harder longer because it slows down the fatigue in your lower back muscles

ingleful
09-05-2007, 06:23 PM
yeah i agree with the kidney belt.. must have...i have a fox blackbelt..needa new one tho./..i also recomend knee pads.

jesseweaver
09-05-2007, 08:41 PM
i just ordered a fox chest protector off rockymountain atv

Scro
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I've got a lucky Moose, had it since I started riding. It's being held together by zipties with a couple holes here and there, but there are a ton of crash stories :macho

09-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I wear it because that and my helmet saved my life once before. Hit a tree, my wrist broke, slammed my chest onto te bars, then slammed my head on the tree. Was knocked out in the woods. Wrist hurt after waiting an hour at the park cause i didnt wanna go to the hospitol and ruin everyone else fun haha. But it does protect you. I flipped off before and landed on my back. It hurt but saved me better than if i wasnt wearing it. The main thing is it protects your ribs.

mod440ex
09-05-2007, 08:58 PM
thats what i am wanting it for

Pappy
09-05-2007, 08:59 PM
I dont even like to think about what Cody would have looked like with out one.

Raptor68
09-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

I have the same one Cody had and it has helped me several times...

mod440ex
03-22-2008, 02:55 AM
are those the fox airframe? i think thats the kind i am going to get. looks like they give you alot of protection.

NJ450rider
03-22-2008, 06:33 AM
I just got a Shift Proflex chest protector a few weeks ago. Ive never worn one but after a few days i didnt even notice it was there anymore. Definatly whill help against gettin roosted on. Or in the event of small to medium crashes.

I dunno about other states but in NJ for 2008 an over the jersey hard plastic chest protector is manditory to ride/race on the mx tracks. Years past it wasnt.

mod440ex
03-22-2008, 06:46 AM
well i think that is a good rule to have. i havent ever wore one, but there have been a couple of younger people around here that have been killed because the where hit in the chest by handlebars.

mx428
03-22-2008, 07:23 AM
I used to wear a thor under the jersey, super lightweight, didn't even notice it, decent roost protection, etc. Then I got in a serious crash and realized it didn't do **** for impacts. Luckily (HA) I landed on my head and then hip, so it wasn't a problem, but it scared me into function over fashion. Now I wear and EVS Flux that I took the shoulders off of so I can use it with my Leatt, which, btw, saved my life in that crash I spoke of before.

03-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I have a thor aftershock that I pretty much grew out of and I need to find another chest protector. I dont think they make the aftershock anymore which is sad because it was a great thing to have. It has survived so many crashes over the years and still noy a single crack in it.

deathman53
03-22-2008, 08:59 PM
I got a chest protector in 01, I think msr. It has saved me many times, big branches shot at me, fell off a few times, pelted by rocks on rr tracks and PA. Everytime I ride, I wear riding boots, chest protector, helmet and usually a kidney belt. I have a helmet with huge scapes on it, the scapes continue on the chest protector from a accident on an atc250r, not sure what caused it, but I walked away with my shoulder hurting for a few days. I'm still using that same chest protector and the helmet hangs in the garage for a reminder, always to wear it!!!!!!!! Btw, I only had a few accidents on a trike, 6(3 were because of my own stupidity/overconfidence), stuck throttle for the other 2 and who knows about the other. I almost forgot, my chest protector saved me from and accident on my trx250r also, again overconfidence, going into a corner way too fast and turning at the last minute, resulting in a flip. It has saved me many many times riding my dirtbikes in the woods, can't count how many branch/twigs hits its got.

#2 on saftey equipment(well, next to the helmet #1) and riding boots #3.

03-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

is that the Fox Airframe? I wanted to buy the airframe but if it breaks like that...

KXRida
03-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by mod440ex
im not so much worried about roost, but i bailed off mine a couple of weeks ago and landed on my back and bruised my kidney and dislocated a rib, and i am looking for a little protection from handlebars in the ribs

dislocated a rib? Since when did ribs have joints? :eek2:

I run the thor sentinel. Also, are you or are you planning on running a leatt? Some people are running the HRP one, but I found that my thor sentinel fits pretty good with a leatt. The sentinel doesn't off a whole lot of protection, but that's not what I was after, I wanted something that is light and unrestrictive. It comes down to about mid chest about 2-3 inches above the belly button. I used to run a thor quadrant (used to be aftershock or something like that) without the arm guards. It was a good chest protector. Came down to about the belly button and had an equal length in the rear. It also fit with my leatt, but I wanted something smaller, so I got a sentinel. If you are looking for a full coverage protector, the sentinel is not for you. It covers the basics. Almost all of the upper chest and about to the 11th rib in the front and about the 9th or 10th in the rear. Hope this helps.

mod440ex
03-23-2008, 06:20 PM
sorry i am not a doctor, cracked, or something to that effect. all i know is it hurt like hell when the doc pushed on it. i was on some kinda strong pain medecine when he told me so he probably said something else and i heard blah blah blah:D

KXRida
03-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by mod440ex
sorry i am not a doctor, cracked, or something to that effect. all i know is it hurt like hell when the doc pushed on it. i was on some kinda strong pain medecine when he told me so he probably said something else and i heard blah blah blah:D

haha bruised maybe? lol

It's all good. Pain killers do strange things to the mind. :tired:

klutch
03-23-2008, 06:25 PM
I have a Shift Profile Chest Protector which i love lol. And I also have a Shift Kidney belt which is also great lol

03-23-2008, 06:34 PM
how much does a kidney belt do?

KXRida
03-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
how much does a kidney belt do?

doesn't do a whole lot external protection wise, it was more for interal protection. It keeps your kidneys from bouncy around. Bruised kidneys are no fun at all.