PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever use?

trailblazin joe
09-05-2007, 10:57 AM
I came across a company called diamondjcustoms.com, they make a kit that widens the a-arms and shocks by removing them from the frame and using a spacer that puts them out to a +4.5 or +6. Has anyone ever seen or used these, the kit goes for about $180, certainly a lot cheaper than aftermarket a-arms.

09-05-2007, 11:26 AM
my friend used a similar product to this from that site and from what i know they work great.

Scro
09-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't suggest it, or any look-alike kit. Your steering geometry will be way off, which will make it handle like crap. Sure it may be wider, but the cons out weigh the pros.

09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Gumby5000
my friend used a similar product to this from that site and from what i know they work great.

i think you are your only friend...

but like scro mentioned...steering geometry is way off and i can't see them being durable enough to handle anything where there is even the possibility of a hard hit

09-05-2007, 02:12 PM
they are actually known for withstanding a lot. With wider stock quad thats heavier you risk it. A-arms are the best way to do it if you have the cash. On a 250ex or 300ex width or anywhere around there your fine but a 400ex would bend them. Are wider a0arms going ot mess up your steering geometry too? I am looking into +1" a-arms for my 400ex

09-05-2007, 02:29 PM
wider a-arms are designed to correct the change in geometry...

svahle
09-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Might want to check out this thread: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=312942

My thoughts and those of others are found there. Might also do a search as the widening kits have been debated at some length before.

DEVINF450R
09-06-2007, 06:52 PM
FoxHondaRider-- I have seen you on here all the time asking noob questions...which are perfectly fine to ask as much as you want...but you seem like a guy who is new to the racing/riding scene. And by this I mean NO offense at all towards you, but for you to say they withstand alot of abuse...have you used them? have you jumped large jumps with them? Do you personally know anyone who has done either of the above 2? how would you feelIf someone purchased this product (on your recommentdation) and then tried to do a large mx jump and they didn't hold up and they were seriously injured...I don't know much about this product but I first started seeing these made for the small youth quads to widen them for flat track and mx (kids on 50cc quads don't jump huge stuff), and it seems like it would be good idea there. Spacers are bad, the kits are bad, if you want to widen you quad, esp for racing....buy a-arms. I know they are expensive, but so is racing, thats life

300ex mxracer
09-06-2007, 07:09 PM
i personally raced with one on my 300 for a full year. the widening kit itself can withstand alot from my experience. the only thing that is weak are the tie-rods. they are made out of aluminum and snap easily. the last one that broke on me caused quite a bit of damage(bent frame, ruined wheel, bent spindle) because it broke as i was landing a large double. needless to say the kit was disposed of and wider a-arms were installed

the geometry is way off because the pivot spot of the a-arms and the tie-rods are in different spots. this causes quite a bit of bumpsteer.