PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to add more power to my quad want low end only

anabolicsman
09-05-2007, 01:26 AM
i got a 2001 400ex with mods such as yosh full exhaust,k%N air filter, air and snorkel off and jetted! i want to get more like low edn torque! i ride big hills! also i always seem like im switching gears alot!! and i didnt want to get a bore cause my brother got one and it was like 900 bucks! i heard maybe like a high comp piston on stock sleeve? or whats really goos for what i want!!!

also when i first got this quad it had really great low end torque! i mean like barely touch throttle and it would pop wheele! it just had a yosh slip on ! then i got a yosh full exhaust and had the shop rejet now! the throttle response completely sucks and it wont pop a wheele worth crap! please help? do u think maybe i just need them to rejet?

mitchamus
09-05-2007, 05:30 AM
FULL exhaust on a stock engine isn't gonna give you much gains at all.

You could remove your choke that will give you alittle better throttle response.

Drop 1 tooth on your front sprocket for better lowend.

Stage 1 cam. 450R carb

thats just a couple suggestions.

zrpilot
09-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Here is what I'd do:

11:1 piston on the stock bore (assuming it is still in good shape) - about $120
Stage one cam - about $140
Gaskets - about $50
Valve seals - about $5
Drop a tooth on the front sprocket
Re-jet

Or I'd do this:

Sell the full yosh system and go back the stock header with a slip-on (make sure you replace the exhaust header gaskets!!)
Then get a Sparks advance key. $20
Re-jet

Hondamaster5505
09-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by mitchamus
FULL exhaust on a stock engine isn't gonna give you much gains at all.

You could remove your choke that will give you alittle better throttle response.

Drop 1 tooth on your front sprocket for better lowend.

Stage 1 cam. 450R carb

thats just a couple suggestions.

I dont agree with that. Im running a full DMC System and it was a huge increase, that being said, it is ment more for stock engines, or few mods. i dont know bout the yoshi, but the DMC's great

09-05-2007, 02:17 PM
cams add great low to mid end torque and HP. Way better response. I say run and HMF slip-on with FMF powerbomb header and get a cam. I think my choke is removed but i'm not sure if my quad is jetted. I bought it off a guy and it appears stock, he never said he id anything to it but 1 winter night riding the powerlines at 1 in the morning everyone puts their choke on and i looked and theres no yellow tab. So I figured either it broke or the guy just took it off. Would would I tell if its taken off or not?

mitchamus
09-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I dont agree with that. Im running a full DMC System and it was a huge increase, that being said, it is ment more for stock engines, or few mods. i dont know bout the yoshi, but the DMC's great

I'm going by what HMF told me. I was gonna convert my slip on HMF to a full system and they told me unless i was doing internal engine mods it would be pointless for the price. It's definalty not gonna hurt to have a full system tho.

gcart2
09-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
Here is what I'd do:

11:1 piston on the stock bore (assuming it is still in good shape) - about $120
Stage one cam - about $140
Gaskets - about $50
Valve seals - about $5
Re-jet

Or I'd do this:

Sell the full yosh system and go back the stock header with a slip-on (make sure you replace the exhaust header gaskets!!)
Then get a Sparks advance key. $20
Re-jet
i run this setup except a stage two (and gearing) and if u build right it will be the best setup for you in my opinion.

JDMThoughts
09-05-2007, 06:05 PM
wow I really love the way my bike is right now and I have the same mods as you, but I have no problem popping wheelies, if anything my bike is a straightup wheelie machine. I would do a timing key and a stage 1 cam, porting would make a nice difference. A piston is great, but often times you usually need to go up one size on a bore, at least I prefer to with any of my toys

anabolicsman
09-06-2007, 09:00 AM
so anyother help?

JDMThoughts
09-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Go with hot cams stage one or sparks X1 cam... both are drop in cams and require no other mods, and a timing key. After that your gonna spend a knot trying to find significant power increases.

anabolicsman
09-06-2007, 03:46 PM
think i should put my stock header back on?

yernkie
09-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Leave the full Yoshi exhaust on and change the front sprocket. Get a 14tooth from Rocky Mountain ATV (they are only $10 or so). It will help low end a lot and you will love it. If you have the cash get a Stage 1 Hot Cam as well and have all the low end you will need.

A good set of rear tires like Holeshots or RAZR's will also help low end as they will make the quad hook up a lot harder.