PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Farabomb
09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
I spent the holiday weekend riding at my family property in NY. Untill now I didn't know how bad my bike is set up. There were 3 05 400exs and a 01 300ex and after riding them I have to do something. I have a 01 400ex with basic mods (k&n/outerwears, nerfs, engine skidplate, renthal bars, maybe a jet kit not sure and other bits) While my bike was the fastest it's brutal to ride.

The clutch is damn near impossible to pull to the point where I broke the cable at the end of the weekend. The ride is so rough I can't feel safe at speed. The other bikes were worlds apart in the clutch and ride quality and they were stock. Since I have to order parts I have to solve these issues.

I don't have the manual so I really as at a loss on how to adjust the supension but I have an idea. I'd rather not spend the cash on shocks seeing as I only play in the woods and the stock bikes were fine.

The clutch is another issue. It's possible I have upgraded springs and clutch but I don't know for sure. I'm considering the magura hydro setup but if I can get the cable clutch to play nice I'd go that way.

Any advice on the supension setup and clutch adjustment would be wonderful. Also I have a question about the sparks timing key. Will it work on a stock bike or do I need a pipe and a jetkit?

Thanks

Farabomb
09-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Not even a "search n00b"?

I just need a little advice on setting up the stock shocks before I decide I need to spend the cash on either 450r shocks or maybe some works shocks. It seems the stockers set up properly for my fat arse will work but I need to know what I should be adjusting.

I'm going to try a MSR lever and a new cable for the clutch before I drop the cash on the hydro setup.

2000ssm6
09-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Farabomb
Not even a "search n00b"?

I just need a little advice on setting up the stock shocks before I decide I need to spend the cash on either 450r shocks or maybe some works shocks. It seems the stockers set up properly for my fat arse will work but I need to know what I should be adjusting.

I'm going to try a MSR lever and a new cable for the clutch before I drop the cash on the hydro setup.

Have you used a spanner wrench and played with the adjustments? The 2 fronts and 1 rear can be adjusted for firm and soft rides......

Get the owners manual and look up the adjustments(left/right), they are listed on the shocks too. The fronts should be easy but the rear will need more attention(rebound). Search for "suspension settings"

EX LONERIDER
09-06-2007, 08:56 PM
ok bud.... before you go drop some cash on a hydro clutch perch system, your clutch issue may have just been within the cable itself. chances are it was likely old, frail, and not lubed well internally.

go buy a new cable. shouldnt be much at the dealer. id just use an oem cable and adjust it. should feel nice and smooth once done. i have upgraded clutch springs with a stock cable and perch and they feel nice and easy to use. no major arm pump.

my first suggestion to you is to get a clymers manual for the 400ex. it will make all your work easier and answer alot of questions on how to do repairs, adjustments, and fine tune your bike. well worth the 20 bux.

on your FRONT suspension.... im assuming you have the stock "no thrills" regular shocks. chances are the preload may be set hard. look at the bottom portion of the shocks. you will see some step notches where the spring sits on the shock body.... thats where you can adjust the preload hard to soft. you can use a rag and some channel locks to adjust them softer. click them to the lowest notch for the softest possible ride.

your rear shock unlike your front ones, has a compression, return rate and pre-load adjustability. my suggestion is if you do not know how the compression and return rates work, do VERY SMALL adjustments and test them out to see where it needs to be for you. by this i mean on the adjustment dials, make 1/2 turn adjustments. go ride it and decipher wether it bounces too much or compreses too hard or soft....

if its too hard a ride, lower the compression adjustment so it rides a bit smoother. if it bounces too hard after hitting bumps, adjust the return rate.

your spring pre-load will adjust some compression control but mostly your ride height.

hope this info helps you out bro. dont be afraid to ask questions.... thats what the forums are for.

09-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Alright, people think you need a high end shock for it to be good but let me tell you from personal experience. Works suspension is amazing. People said aftermarket is so much better and I figured yeah its better but prbally not that much. Wrong, complete night and day difference! My brother has the Works remote rezzie for the rear and it feels like your floating. I rode his after riding my stock suspension and the bumps I would bounce around on this Works rear shock took it like what bump? Seriously it was like floating. Now these arent the high end, the ones that are $500 or so not much money but deffinaely worth it!!! I am saving up myself to get Works front and back rezzies. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED WITH THEM! Yes like I said they are the lower end shock or the cheaper one that Works makes but complete night and day difference. I wish everyone could ride stock on th same terrain then just hop off and ride the 400ex with the Works shocks to see how much better they are. I know 1st hand because like I said I was right there and just hopped off to switch quads so I can see how aftermarket suspension is. Yeah I know I have basically repeated the same thing through this long post.

SUMMARY: Works suspension is amzing over stock!!!

EX LONERIDER
09-06-2007, 09:13 PM
to support fox, yes. works is a nice suspension system. i have the same on mine and wouldnt ride a bike with anything less. for that matter, anything over the stock EX shocks will be worlds better.

from the looks however this guy just needs a simple adjustment to get-him-by... that was what he asked and was answered for.

if you can afford it and want em, work's performance shocks are by far the best affordable suspension systems made for play. the rear shock on the 400ex is pretty good once you fine tune them to your ride specs. i have mine tuned in and rides awsome. :D

Farabomb
09-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. :D

I know the stockers can get me by untill I can get lucky on ebay or work some overtime. I know from car racing that you don't need to get the top of the line supension. Something decent can keep you competive. I just don't want to spend the cash on junk.

Lonerider, the rear is where I get a little confused. Over the weekend I'll take a good look at it hopefully see what's up. I figured the fronts only had preload adjustments. The lever and cable will be ordered later tonight along with a oil filter. That's another question, what amsoil flavor should I order? I only pick amsoil becasue I'm a dealer. :)

Is the factory manual better than the clymers? With my brother looking at jet kits and such I have a feeling I'll need to keep up. ;)

EX LONERIDER
09-06-2007, 09:59 PM
ok, no worries.... ill take a few pictures this saturday on how to adjust your rear shock. for that matter, did you think the rear shock was ok? or was it too harsh a ride back there?

the clymers manual will help you on everything you'll ever need to do on your bike. i'd get it if i were in your shoes..... or anyone who has a 400ex for that matter. just makes life easier.

by amsoil flavor you mean what kind of oil viscocity? all depends on what kind of weather you ride in. if its cold out there, run a thinner oil.... if its warm (80*F +) i'd run 20-50W for the better protection.