PDA

View Full Version : starting problem when atv is hot HELP

ATV Z88
09-04-2007, 05:46 PM
hi guys

heres my problem on my ltz 400 2003

when i start the quad for the first time with the choke, it runs #1

but after when the atv starts to be hot after riding its a pain to start it.... it can takes 3-4 kicks to get it started

what should i look for?

thx everyone

jonboy
09-04-2007, 08:25 PM
I never heard of any kicker kits for the Z. Do you have a DRZ motor on your bike? Either way it sounds as if your valves need to be reshimmed. The stock valves are netorious for this problem. Eventually It will only start when cold and as soon as it gets warm it will die and not even idle. Get a manual it is a very easy job to do.

ATV Z88
09-05-2007, 06:33 AM
kick i mean when i push the start button...

cataway
09-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by ATV Z88
hi guys

heres my problem on my ltz 400 2003

when i start the quad for the first time with the choke, it runs #1

but after when the atv starts to be hot after riding its a pain to start it.... it can takes 3-4 kicks to get it started

what should i look for?

thx everyone could you maybe say how your jetted
what if any mods you have

ATV Z88
09-05-2007, 05:40 PM
i only have a slip on, i do think im jetted but not sure....

i dont think it could be the jet because it starts well when the atv is cold...

some people told me it might be my valves.... but i dont know how to check that

jonridesz400
09-05-2007, 07:49 PM
i bought a 2003 ltz400 about a month ago and its been in the shop since then practically but anyway... it wouldnt start cold but ran fine warm... the problem i found was the valves were jacked and the piston rings were broken and the cam chain had horrible slack, crack in the frame, and carbuerator boot was fallling off. i dont know to much about it because obviously i just bought it but i duno how helpful i am but i think it is the valves like the guy said above. i agree with him. let me know what it was~!!!

ATV Z88
09-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by jonridesz400
i bought a 2003 ltz400 about a month ago and its been in the shop since then practically but anyway... it wouldnt start cold but ran fine warm... the problem i found was the valves were jacked and the piston rings were broken and the cam chain had horrible slack, crack in the frame, and carbuerator boot was fallling off. i dont know to much about it because obviously i just bought it but i duno how helpful i am but i think it is the valves like the guy said above. i agree with him. let me know what it was~!!!

thx for your reply, i will check the valves during my rebuild this automn