PDA

View Full Version : faster internet?

450raider
09-04-2007, 12:47 PM
ill just get to it, ive got very basic aol (standard dial up) and my computer is slow as he** and freezes alot, now i know theres many ways to go about it but what would be the simplest? satellite internet? i hear many good things about it except how to get it, what do you go to office max and get a little kit with a little satellite in it or what? it sucks when you hear so much about some insane video or something and then you cant watch it cause it takes an hour to load a five minute video so i was just curious.

thanks for any info/tips.

54warrior
09-04-2007, 01:26 PM
I think satelitte internet is really expensive isn't it, much more than DSL and Cable.

cbrooks118
09-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I looked into getting internet via satellite with my direct tv a couple years ago, and it was ridculously high, like 70 bucks a month. The best alternative i found is DSL. I get 1mg+ downloads all day with no problems, its 19.99 a month with a 1 year contract. the modem was free too. i just go a wireless router so i can take my laptop anywhere in the house.

Another viable source is cable, but as you read above i have satellite tv, so that wasnt an option, but i believe they are around the same price.

My brother just got wireless internet. It works similar to a cellphone. you have a small antenna in your house and it gets DSL speeds. also similar in price

Good luck on choosing a provider. I have found that the larger companie sucks, ie. att, SBC, and went with a local provider. Sure they buy their bandwith from the big companies like SBC, but you get local customer service and tech support.

pro-rider46
09-04-2007, 01:51 PM
we have comcast and its like 99 bucks a month if you get the cable internet and phone and we pay like 60 cause we have just tv and internet. it only took about 3 seconds to load this page. and about one on some days.:D

mod440ex
09-04-2007, 02:22 PM
we had cable internet and it was like 55bucks, so we swithced to dsl and it is only 20. its not quite has fast but its not worth paying an extra 30 dollars a month. i will be moving to the county soon and i am going to be in the same boat. they dont have high speed internet out there so i am going to have to start looking around at my options

450raider
09-04-2007, 04:31 PM
you have to get a whole new provider huh?, i just thought you could get a satellite or something, but our directv people offer satellite internet, phone, and cable for $100 a month so i may look into that.

whiteboycustom
09-05-2007, 09:11 AM
satallite is expensive from what i have seen, sbc yahoo internet sucks my mom has so many pop ups and gets viruses and i have good anti-virus and spyware stuff on there, its cheaper for a reason, i use roadrunner and i dont have problems with popups and if i dont get viruses i get warned way before it affects anything, i pay 89 a month for premium roadrunner 8.0mbps and the regular roadrunner is 5.0mbps for around 50 something dollars and pretty soon the premium will bump up to 10.0mbps