PDA

View Full Version : Stroker 440 - Any opinions or reviews?

Dudefire607
10-29-2002, 04:15 PM
After many hours of research I've decided to go with the following setup as a starting point.

Powroll 440cc BORE AND STROKE COMBINATION

http://www.powroll.com/honda_trx_400ex.htm

Basically an 87mm bore (416cc) and a 4mm stroke to your crank. You get a 440 with the lightness of a 416 and no sleeve work. The price is great ($504.00). I've heard a lot of folks say that the heavier 440 piston slows down revs so I think this will be a nice balance between a 416 and 440 as far as revs go.

I know I need a cam, porting, turbo, CRF 450 engine (blah, blah, blah) so don't waste time typing, I just think think this will be a good base to work up from as far as the motor goes.

You might want to check out the Powroll kit if you're looking for a stroker and don't want to pay throught the nose or wait forever.

Any insightfull opinions are appreciated...

DF...

P.S. I've heard great things about Powroll and the folks down there seem very helpful.

JustRace
10-29-2002, 04:18 PM
I think that sounds like a great motor. I love my 440, even though its not the exact same setup your going to use. Mine is mildly built too, and it still pulls a lot harder than it did before (before 11:1 stock bore piston, white brothers track cam, and big gun exhaust).

oynot400
10-29-2002, 05:30 PM
oregan69 (sp? sorry man) got a stroked 440 by Powroll. I know that he really likes it. I wish I would of done a stroker before. You get more power out of a stoker compaired to a bore job.
I went with For Dirt Only's 463 kit. From what research I did it was what I was looking for. I think FDO was priced about in the same range. The turn around time was fairly short also.
I am sure that you will like your 440 when you are done. :D
Good luck.....

10-29-2002, 09:18 PM
I went with For Dirt Only's 463 kit. From what research I did it was what I was looking for. I think FDO was priced about in the same range. The turn around time was fairly short also.
I will also say that FDO is a great company to work with

beerock
10-29-2002, 09:48 PM
ya I have personally seen the 416's being faster then the 440 because of the weight of the piston.

the stroking of the rod sounds like a good way to build more power without losing the quickenss of the 416...

Extremeracer167
10-30-2002, 08:53 AM
most 440 kits are a joke. These ppl buy a bigger sleeve and piston, and thats why most 440s suck arse! Half of the ppl dont even have cams in there kits!! Yeah.....that makes alot of sense lets by some 200 engine kit to bump up the displacement, when in all reality, it doesnt do CRAP! But i guess some ppl just believe what they are told by there local bike shop??

z400ex
10-30-2002, 10:27 AM
What kinda horse power you think your 440 stroke will put out??? Just curious becuz i was thinkin of doin the same but yet im not quite sure if the stroker is gonna be worth the money....

Dudefire607
10-30-2002, 04:30 PM
Honestly, I have no idea how much HP I'll gain. I just want to get a good base for further mods. I'm going to start off with the stroker, (already have E-Series full system, airbox, K&N, oil cooler) and after breaking that in ride for awhile until I can afford phase two, which will be a cam, hardfaced rockers, new springs and retainers. After that probably porting and finally a carb. I'm trying to to things in an order that I can feel like the money I just spent got me at least some gain in performance. I don't expect huge gains from the stroker until I can afford to get more fuel to that bad boy (hopefully in the spring) but I'm sure I'll notice somthin'. I'll post on the subject again once I have the kit installed and broke in and let you guys know my thoughts.

DF...

Steven
10-30-2002, 05:30 PM
My 440 is very much more powerful than my other 400EX, which is equiped with an FMF slip on and K&N stage 2 jet kit. The difference is huge. Like two different machines-huge!

My riding partner has a piped DS650 and I run with him on the straights - no problem. In fact he is looking to get rid of his DS now because of how much faster he can drive the 440EX around a track.

I feel a good 440 will really up your fun factor... even with an 89mm piston. Mine revs out super fast. Although I do agree that a stroked 416 will rev out faster... but I think that is the more expensive option-not sure.

Steve