PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Sparks dual exhaust

Hondarider440ex
09-03-2007, 07:38 PM
i have made two stock exhaust into a dual exhaust system but i now have a curtis sparks exhaust so how much horsepower do you think it will give me if i buy another one and make a dual exhaust system i designed the headpipes like the fmf mega bomb header pipe with the canister in it

Hondamaster5505
09-03-2007, 08:13 PM
i dont have an answer to your question, but did your custom duals do anything power-wise?
Better sound?

Hondarider440ex
09-03-2007, 08:44 PM
i could tell it made a difference because i had to rejet it and take the airbox lid off to get more air and for sound wise it was alot louder

67mopar
09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
any pics?

86 Quad R
09-04-2007, 08:12 AM
i wanna see that myself. :devil:

Hondarider440ex
09-04-2007, 03:31 PM
i will try to find the exhaust and post a picture of it i now have the sparks exhaust and the other exhaust is at my uncles house but i fixing to order another sparks and make it a dual system too so i will try to have some pics up as soon as i can of one of the system if not both

Hondamaster5505
09-04-2007, 03:57 PM
i dont think the dual sparks would be a very good idea....
i thought about it, and there would be almost no back pressure.

No back pressure=No compression
compression=horsepower

Sparks are very good pipes, but with duals, you'll probably lose power... sorry to say.

It works with the stockers, cuz they are very restrictive stock.

All it'll do is look cool, but wont add power, you'll probably lose power.

09-04-2007, 05:00 PM
someone on here once said, "dual pipes on a single cylinder engine make as much sense as wiping before you crap." lol funny but in a sense think of splitting your headers and increasing the flow by a lot. I cant imagine it would do all that well.

2004exrider
09-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

compression=horsepower

Sparks are very good pipes, but with duals, you'll probably lose power... sorry to say.

LMAO:o

2004exrider
09-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
hes right. u might need to buy an exhasut for a smaller bike like a 250ex to increase back pressure. maybe...

hahahaha HAVING NO BACKPRESSURE WILL NOT BURN UP A VALVE OR RUIN A PISTON!!! Not rejetting for the extra amount of air flowing through will.

Jimmy

WeTDrEaM
09-04-2007, 09:15 PM

compression=horsepower

:rolleyes: :confused:

Either..

A. Your really retarded

or

B. You have no idea what you are talking about.

You exhaust has NOTHING to do with the compression of you engine. You can take the exhaust right off the engine. The compression will be the same. Now exhaust back pressure... Thats a different story.

Increased compression gives you torque. Torque is turning effort this is produced by the pressure from the crankshaft on the pistons. Engine torque is relatively low at idle speeds, but increases at a high rate as engine speed increases. Torque is maintained at a high level while an engine is running, but decreases once engine speeds reach a certain point

H.P.
Horsepower = (Force ´ 2p ´ Radius ´ RPM) / 33,000

This equation can be simplified by dividing 2p into both terms, which will give you:

Horsepower = ( Force ´ Radius ´ RPM) / 5,250

Where

Force = the scale reading from the spring balance attached via the pulley block spring balance system to the engine shaft.

Radius = the distance from the center of the engine's shaft to the spring balance arm. It is called the radius or torque arm.

RPM = the engine speed in revolutions per minute.

So where does the loss of compression threw your exhaust come in to all this??!!:confused: :ermm:

atvn
09-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I don’t post much, mostly just read. But I do get tired of people for shooting down others ideas just because it is different or because they don’t research things before speaking.

WeTDrEam is correct what type of exhaust you have will not change the compression within the engine.

This link should help if you don’t understand the why’s behind this.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/motorcycle1.htm

Also, there would be some advantage to duals since there are two exhaust ports on the 400 ex engine.

Backpressure is something to keep in mind, a little is good. I would use a quite core in what ever aftermarket exhaust you use because this would help to increase the backpressure. Using the stock head pipes is also offering you some additional backpressure.

I applaud you for doing your own thing. Engineering your own parts will teach you much more than simply bolting on the latest hot product.

Hondamaster5505
09-05-2007, 01:38 PM
whatever, but its too free flowing. good luck loosing power, i know what im talking about.

Im gonna feel sorry for the guy once he blows $1000 to lose hp.
IMO

2004exrider
09-05-2007, 02:14 PM
whatever, but its too free flowing. good luck loosing power, i know what im talking about.

Im gonna feel sorry for the guy once he blows $1000 to lose hp.
IMO

Now i do agree with you there:) , chances are it is going to be flowing way to much, restriction is what gives you power in different stages (lowend, midrange, and top). My guess is that it will only have topend power.

Jimmy

Hondamaster5505
09-05-2007, 02:58 PM
i do like the stock exhaust one though, that seems like a cool idea, because its not too over flowing. Id love to see pics of that

honda300EXtreme
09-05-2007, 05:11 PM
back to the original question.....

it has been figured out that dual exhaust on a 400ex, will actually result in power loss due to the added weight, given the power loss is not significant by any means but it is still a lose, over a good traditional full system...

but if budget allows and you want to be unique from the rest, then by all means go for it, its definatly a cool way to stick out and its a good conversation piece.....

to me it just seems like an expensive way to be apart from the crowd

just my 0.02

400exrapes
09-05-2007, 06:53 PM
well since its not my engine he should try it and find out and if it does work then were all wrong

Hondamaster5505
09-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
well since its not my engine he should try it and find out and if it does work then were all wrong
lmao, ur basically calling him the guinea pig. lol.

project400ex19
09-06-2007, 05:47 PM
lol, someone has to be one! If he can afford to be. By all means go for it.

67mopar
09-06-2007, 06:12 PM
doesnt looney tuned make a dual exhaust for the 400ex? that exhaust can't be a lose of power or they wouldn't be selling it.can his be that much different?

gcart2
09-06-2007, 06:15 PM
everyone knows Curtis exhaust is a great 1 if not the best and everyone no's a lot of money has gone into designing this pipe. however this pipe was designed to be a single exhaust not a dual. why test this "new" idea on such a great pipe i dont no.... but if Curtis thought running two of these would be a good idea thats how they would sell em. so much money has gone into designing this.. its build the best the way it sits... without duals. but hey... its y our money going down the drain (or into curtis' bank account)good luck:)

Hondamaster5505
09-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by 67mopar
doesnt looney tuned make a dual exhaust for the 400ex? that exhaust can't be a lose of power or they wouldn't be selling it.can his be that much different?

Yeah, they do, but they are designed to be dual, curtis sparks isnt, they work best as a single, as gcart has said. Looney tuned isnt as free flowing per exhaust, which makes it good as duals. CSR pipe is a major flow pipe, and everyone knows, its not good to be too free flowing, you'll end up loosing power in the long run.

But hey, Curtis will love this guy:rolleyes:

oleboy87
09-06-2007, 07:40 PM
im my opinion it is not worth it to buy 2 curtis's that is like $1000 and the power gains if there is any is not worth it to me in the long run!

EX LONERIDER
09-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by oleboy87
im my opinion it is not worth it to buy 2 curtis's that is like $1000 and the power gains if there is any is not worth it to me in the long run!

in all honest opinion its probably true but who really knows unless you dyno it...:rolleyes:

if its cool and makes this dude happy thats all that matters..... polishing and chroming every bit on some of these banshee's gives no power or performance gain and is totally expensive to do or have...but the guys like to do that cus its cool and they stand out. the twin exhaust kinda stands in the same theory.

i say do it and show us the results... :cool:

400exrapes
09-06-2007, 09:30 PM
i want him to try it, and he already said hes got one on there and is getting one from cousin? so let the dude try it if it doesnt work it was his idea and if it does work it was his idea!

400exstud
09-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
everyone knows Curtis exhaust is a great 1 if not the best and everyone no's a lot of money has gone into designing this pipe. however this pipe was designed to be a single exhaust not a dual. why test this "new" idea on such a great pipe i dont no.... but if Curtis thought running two of these would be a good idea thats how they would sell em. so much money has gone into designing this.. its build the best the way it sits... without duals. but hey... its y our money going down the drain (or into curtis' bank account)good luck:)

I totally agree. I can't help but think that it has already been tried and discarded at Sparks.

Honda10
09-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Post some pics.