PDA

View Full Version : How to Get to Pistion on 400Ex.

Sparks425Ex
10-29-2002, 03:25 PM
How do I get the Jug off my 400Ex?

I have the Head off and i am lookin at the Cam. What do i do from here. I am just taken off to take a look at the pistion and cyclinder. Just in case. Cause i am gettting some stuff this winter but i wanan know if i have to change the pistion, rings or bore out my cyclinder.

ebanezar
10-29-2002, 03:57 PM
You need to take out the cam chain tensioner that is located on the back of the cylinder, it is kind of egg shaped with 2 bolts. Then you need to take the sprocket off the cam gear, using the 2 allen head bolts. Then you have 4, 12mm, acorn style nuts to take out of the head and the head will come off. Take the head off and you will be looking at the piston.

knighttime
10-30-2002, 09:24 AM
dont go any further till u get a service manual and torque wrench or your gonna have it all f'd up :eek:

10-30-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
dont go any further till u get a service manual and torque wrench or your gonna have it all f'd up :eek:

Ditto that..:rolleyes:

muff
11-08-2002, 09:05 PM
and tie a wire around that cam chain, you dont want that thing either droppin in the engine or fallin off the bottom sproket cause if it does you'll be looking at a half and hour full off swears, trust me its not fun

RED121572
11-09-2002, 04:47 PM
I recommend a really heavy sledge hammer and give the side of the jug a really good whack. It should come off.;)

11-09-2002, 06:35 PM
New warning label on honda 03 quads.

WARNING WARNING

TOUCHING CRAP YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CAN VOID YOUR RIDING.

But seriously if you get the manual and read it like a good book you will have a much better chance of not getting into problems.

Just tying up the cam chain (do it tight cause it will fall off the sprocket at the bottom) and avoiding all the cursing and screaming as everytie you think its gonna go back on....... it just pops off again this one thing alone will be worth whatever you pay.

And if you absolutley insist on doing it without one remember one thing, your nuts.

Good luck and dont pry anything on the motor as it all comes apart very easy, unless you forget the bolts under the cam etc. :)

RED121572
11-09-2002, 06:38 PM
LOL I like the new warning sign. LOL

I had the cam chain fall off the gear inside the crank case. That alone will bust your spirits real quick. I removed the clutch side cover to get er back on.