PDA

View Full Version : HELP...No gears

2old2race
09-03-2007, 06:23 AM
A bunch of friends were riding my quad last night and one of the guys broke something internally.
When shifting into gears the quad doesn't move. The clutch is fine. But when shifting thourgh each and every gear, it just sets and revs. Chain is fine.

I have a service manual. But, what exactly should I be looking to fix?

Thanks.

f150mann
09-03-2007, 09:23 AM
that doesnt sound like gear problems, but a clutch problem. like your clutch wont disengage, good luck...

04blasterkid
09-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by 2old2race
A bunch of friends were riding my quad last night.

here is your 1st problem, dont let other people ride ur stuff, they dont care about it and beat on it so badly

#2 it does sound like a clutch problem, does it jerk or anything when u shift? does it feel normal when u shift?

2old2race
09-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah, it's like the clutch is permanently disengaged.
You can shift the bike into gear and literally push it. All 5 gears are just like neutral.
You are probably 100% correct in that guess- the clutch will not engage. To pull the clutch in feels normal. The shifter goes into all gears. There is just no engagement.
My friend who was on it when this happened said the clutch started getting real spongey and then it just stopped moving altogether.

f150mann
09-03-2007, 10:56 AM
try shifting into gears without pulling the clutch lever, does it feel exactly the same as shifting with the level pulled in?

EX LONERIDER
09-03-2007, 11:36 AM
just an obvious question but is the cable and lever moving at the base of the cover?

its likely in the clutch so id take the cover off and start looking to see what you find in there.

x3 on the dont let your friends ride your stuff. i bet you not one of em came running to you and say they'd pay to fix it or fix it themselves now did they?

07250ex
09-03-2007, 02:49 PM
never let ppl ride ur stuff man like said most dont care ... i think im the only careful one on other peoples stuff one of my buddies was riding my 250ex he dented up my bumper didnt tell me and i didnt notice it till later i was pissed =/ it stinks what they did to ur bike tho

2old2race
09-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Nope. No offer to pay to fix it.
Yeah, it does suck. I'm probably looking at a couple hundred to fix, I'm afraid.

And, I checked into it, it doesn't matter if the clutch is pulled in or out...it feels the same in all gears.
The cable is tight and moving fine straight into the case. Everything looks and feels completely normal. Just no engagement.

CRAZY?!:grr:

f150mann
09-03-2007, 07:16 PM
it could be a easy and cheap fix, the bad part, you gotta open er up and look

EX LONERIDER
09-03-2007, 09:21 PM
yea... like i said, remove the side cover and see if there's anything amist in there first before you pull the whole thing appart.

2old2race
09-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Man, I am embarrassed...the clutch cable needed adjusted.
What totally floors me is that I have never even touched the cable for the 6 months I have owned this quad.
So, outta nowhere it instantly tightens up and not just starts slipping but disengages the clutch plates altogether?

Had I ever screwed with the clutch cable, I would have thought twice about this. But 6 months and maybe 12 full days of riding and now it tightens and disengages? :confused: