PDA

View Full Version : 4-stroke nightmare?

04blasterkid
09-02-2007, 04:59 PM
first 4 stroke iv owned, never worked on them, how bad is it really? im 15 and rebuilt my 250r, took my blaster apart a few times, but the words "cam, rockers,valves, timing chain" all seem to scare me lol, can i unbolt the top end and pull it fof like a 2 stroke? or is there other stuff in there besides a piston.. let me know some things i should look out for please

CarGuy7a
09-02-2007, 06:10 PM
just get the clymer manual. it's like 20 something bucks. the greatest thing i've bought for my quad bar none.

single cylinder 4 strokes are pretty easy to work on and also pretty low maintenence.

the clymer has pretty much everything you'll need to know in it.

my88r
09-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
just get the clymer manual. it's like 20 something bucks. the greatest thing i've bought for my quad bar none.

single cylinder 4 strokes are pretty easy to work on and also pretty low maintenence.

the clymer has pretty much everything you'll need to know in it.

yep. you need a Manuel.

04blasterkid
09-02-2007, 06:23 PM
yea, i use the online one... it just dont tell me if stuff is gona fling out lol

my88r
09-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 04blasterkid
yea, i use the online one... it just dont tell me if stuff is gona fling out lol

a 4 storke has alot more than a 2 storke. but i know you know that. i think you could do a rebuild but i would find some that has good rates where you live. not a shop be a guy that doesn't by him self and has cheep rates but those guys to good work. my top end bore hone prox piston and rings cost me 400 bucks all together. i cant bet that so i let him do it.

04blasterkid
09-02-2007, 06:42 PM
400 with him doing it? i only got 300$, i can get it bored for about 60$ 426 piston is 140$ so thats 200, but if i just need rings them i just gona rering the stock piston:D if i have to bore it im going 426 or atleast 416, is there much of a dif? would i feel a dif with a 416? would it beat a piped kfx?

04blasterkid
09-02-2007, 07:03 PM
if i pull my topend is the timing gona go off wack? r the valves gona be out of ajustment?

JOEX
09-02-2007, 07:08 PM
if i pull my topend is the timing gona go off wack? r the valves gona be out of ajustment?
As long as you put the cam and sprocket in correctly the timing will be fine. There's no actual 'timing' adjustment on the 400ex. It's either in time or not unless you have an adjustable cam sprocket.

You'll want to at least check the the valve lash when ever you remove the valve cover. Not hard to do when you're already that far into the motor.

04blasterkid
09-02-2007, 07:13 PM
JOEX do u have aim? or any messanger? it seems like you know a ton about this..

should i mark the chain and sprocket? so i can lighn them up? lash? haha never even herd that word so plz explain if you dont mind.

thanks for the help im getting courage to go outt ehre and do it

JOEX
09-02-2007, 07:20 PM
JOEX do u have aim? or any messanger? it seems like you know a ton about this..

should i mark the chain and sprocket? so i can lighn them up? lash? haha never even herd that word so plz explain if you dont mind.

thanks for the help im getting courage to go outt ehre and do it
Sorry, no AIM or IM and I don't know any more than anyone else who has already done this;)

A real repair manual explains most everything and what you don't get in there you can find here:)

The sprocket is already marked and the chain doesn't matter.

Lash is just another term for the clearance measurement between the rocker arm and the valve stem.

04blasterkid
09-02-2007, 07:22 PM
my engine dont tick or nothing just some blue smoke and lack of power.. so im thinking rings.. is the 426 a notcible dif.? will it smoke a kfx400? i dont have to be the fastest, but i just wana beable to climb banks without worrings about dien, i can barly make it up any that the z/kfx walk right up

JOEX
09-02-2007, 07:41 PM
my engine dont tick or nothing just some blue smoke and lack of power.. so im thinking rings.. is the 426 a notcible dif.? will it smoke a kfx400? i dont have to be the fastest, but i just wana beable to climb banks without worrings about dien, i can barly make it up any that the z/kfx walk right up
IMO the size of the bore alone on the 400ex makes little difference until you get into 440's and strokers. More important factors are compression, cam specs and the matching up of compatable components for a specific result.

A well built and tuned 406cc motor may have better results than a 440 that was just 'put together'.

QuadJunkies
09-02-2007, 07:51 PM
the EX is one of the easiest and low maintence sport quads out there to date. I have had to do very little besides ust wear and tear and replace on mine .Its hard to get rid of for that simple reason alone.
I have the Honda Service manual. Its a must have but over time you find its so easy you will be able to dial it in with or without it. ;)

my88r
09-02-2007, 07:58 PM

thats rider ability not power.in my mind

04blasterkid
09-02-2007, 07:59 PM
well idk my dad dont want me to take it apart, and i cant bring it anywhere so im not sure what mi gona do now.. he will let me take it apart but he insitsts it will not run after i put it backtogeather

my88r
09-02-2007, 08:03 PM
well idk my dad dont want me to take it apart, and i cant bring it anywhere so im not sure what mi gona do now.. he will let me take it apart but he insitsts it will not run after i put it backtogeather

well prove him wrong. my dad was the same way for awhile now he doesnt mind what i do.if you mess up you learn from your mistakes. but its more involed with a 4 storke.

QuadJunkies
09-02-2007, 08:03 PM
he will let me take it apart but he insitsts it will not run after i put it backtogeather
LMAO!!
Well in that case ,you better listen to what your Dad says then :p ;)

04blasterkid
09-02-2007, 08:09 PM
he said that about my 250r to, it ran again, but its a simple 2 stroke... he is telling me i will mess up the timing and the valves.. wich i know nothing about

CarGuy7a
09-02-2007, 08:16 PM
well here's a little encouragement for you. i'm only 22 and i will not let anyone besides me work on my quad. when i went to start doing mods on mine i was lost on how to work on it. i went to the honda dealer and picked up my manual and really never needed to talk to them since. i followed the step by step instructions in the book and never ran into a problem i couldn't solve.

the only thing i would ever take to have done would be like machine work ex. boring the cylinder, having head work done. stuff i don't have the equipment or tools to do.

04blasterkid
09-02-2007, 08:35 PM
how much r the manuals:D

is there anything els that could cause boggin when climbin the banks? it seems like for the first lil bit it pulls good, then the power just shuts off... blue smoke alot when cold, not much when warm, no ticking... i dont wana blow all my money on my motor if its not needed yet

JOEX
09-02-2007, 09:02 PM
how much r the manuals:D

is there anything els that could cause boggin when climbin the banks? it seems like for the first lil bit it pulls good, then the power just shuts off... blue smoke alot when cold, not much when warm, no ticking... i dont wana blow all my money on my motor if its not needed yet
I've been using a Clymer manual which you should be able to find for around $25.

You might be able to get away with just replacing the rings and honing the cylinder. Hard to tell until you get it apart and get it to a machine shop for measurments.

Probably want to do the valve seals too when it's apart.

04blasterkid
09-02-2007, 09:25 PM
a freind told me if the compression is still good then its probly my chain tensioner.... i guess it wouldnt hurt to pull it tommaro and check it?

CarGuy7a
09-03-2007, 05:48 PM
if it boggs when your on level ground it could be just a simple jetting issue. now the smoke could be oil ring blow by or worn valve seals.

pull your spark plug and look at it if it's real wet black and shiny it's oil.

04blasterkid
09-03-2007, 05:54 PM
went to a guy named justins house today, he used to work at a atv shop, he is smart about this stuff... he checked my rockers and they where all good, he dropped the needle 1 clip, and tightend the boot intake boot ( motor side) and it running alot better now, i think i gota drop 1 more clip because its still a little black smoke... i dont see anymore blue smoke though, i think i fixed that when i put a gasket on the valve caps