PDA

View Full Version : octane booster

pro-rider46
09-02-2007, 03:33 PM
hey does anyone know if there is a octane booster that can make 93 into 105 or more.

Thanks

DVXracer
09-02-2007, 03:40 PM
I wouldnt use it. It eats your bearings up fassst.

pro-rider46
09-02-2007, 03:42 PM
why is that?

DEAL
09-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Octane boost won't raise your octane levels up that much, its only good for a point of two.

NacsMXer
09-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
hey does anyone know if there is a octane booster that can make 93 into 105 or more.

Thanks

This was just asked a couple days ago but there is an "octane booster" that is legit: http://www.torcostore.com/p-84-accelerator-unleaded-fuel-concentrate-32oz.aspx

93-107 ;)

fyi, pretty much anything you can buy in a store isn't going to be very effective.

GPracer2500
09-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Are you motivated by cost, availability, convenience or what? Knowing what you're trying to do and why you're trying to do it might help you get more focused answers. Regardless....

It should be possible with a TEL additive. But it might not cost you much less than just buying a decent race gas. It will take a lot to get pump gas that high and the additives aren't exactly cheap: ~$0.65 per ounce and you'll need maybe 8oz per gallon to do what your proposing. And in the end all you'd wind up with is pump gas with a high octane. A decent racing gasoline will have advantages over pump gas that go beyond octane rating.

BUT if buying race gas is impossible or impractical for some reason, a TEL additive might be appropriate. Kemco makes one (Octane Supreme 130) and Torco use to but I don't think they make it anymore (at least they don't list it on their website). Torco makes an unleaded version (see NacsMXer's link) but I'm skeptical about the effectiveness of non-leaded octane boosters. And I'm put-off by the lack of information Torco provides about their product. I've not personally used Kemco's product but it's the only one I would use because it's the only one I'm aware of with lead.

Another option for getting getting 105 MON fuel would be to start with 100LL avgas (at least $4 per gallon near me, ~100 MON) and then add $1.50 to $2 (per gallon) of Kemco's product to get it up to 105 MON. If 105 R+M/2 is what you're after, straight 100LL should meet that.

In the end, if you need the high octane ratings offered by a race gas it usually just makes more sense to use race gas. There really aren't any great shortcuts.

JJs450r
09-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
This was just asked a couple days ago but there is an "octane booster" that is legit: http://www.torcostore.com/p-84-accelerator-unleaded-fuel-concentrate-32oz.aspx

93-107 ;)

fyi, pretty much anything you can buy in a store isn't going to be very effective.

i heard that stuff creates a carbon build up real bad

NacsMXer
09-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by JJs450r
i heard that stuff creates a carbon build up real bad

Yeah couldn't tell you i've never used it just know it works. I run 110 leaded myself.

ZeroLogic
09-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
why is that?

I would like to know as well.

SRH
09-03-2007, 09:02 AM
klotz has one, ive used it a few tiimes 2 oz' suppose to raise it 10 numbers, i just use it in the spring as a fuel system cleaner, i run a tank just to clear out any gunk that could of built up

NorCalRacer
09-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Octane boost won't cut it. Tolulene or xylene probably would, but it would take alot to get to the desired octane. Stay away from AV gas, the anti freezing junk isn't good for quads. I would just buy some 110 and mix it with pump gas, call your local gas company and they probably offer it. Good luck.

Oh yeah, 10 point octane boost only raises your octane one point.

GPracer2500
09-03-2007, 01:34 PM
100LL avgas does not have any anti-icing agents added at the point of manufacture. If an end user wants it, he adds it to his plane himself at the time of fillup. Some FBOs in very cold climates might add anti-icing agents to their retail supply but I'd consider that the exception, not the rule. If it's a concern (which is debatable), the retailer of your local 100LL supply can tell you if they've added any anti-icing agents.

The auto-parts store octane boosting products DO fool the consumer by using a "points" scale that has "1 point" equaling 0.1 octane points. However, a TEL additive is able to raise by full octane points. Kemco's literature is very clear about this.

IMO lead is the best way to raise octane (as long as your vehicle doesn't have O2 sensors or a catalytic converter) because it is extremely effective at raising octane with little to no side effects.

pro-rider46
09-03-2007, 06:55 PM
well gpracer i can get race gas during the summer but in the winter i cant and it costs a good bit. i have a airport for small airplanes a couple miles away, and a store that sells turbo blue about 1/2 mile away. i am looking into this because i want drg piston and i would rather keep fuel cost low. but i still want 15 to 1. also wal mart has lead additives for off road use only. can i mix av fuel with like a gallon or two of turbo blue.

GPracer2500
09-03-2007, 07:41 PM
What lead additive does Walmart sell? Make sure it is what you think it is and not a "lead substitute". I'd be surprised if Walmart sold an octane booster that was worth a damn [shrug].

You could mix 100LL with Turbo Blue but I wouldn't run anything less than straight high quality race gas with a 15:1 piston.

IMO, if you want to run a very high compression piston then you have to be prepared to feed it correctly. That may mean buying a 55 gallon drum of fuel or whatever you have to do to keep a local supply available. Like I said, there really aren't any good shortcuts. You might be able to play backyard chemist and come up with a fuel that keeps the piston from melting or your rod from breaking. But you'll probably spend nearly as much as you would on race fuel only to wind up with an inferior product.

Serious engine builds require a commitment from the owner to use good gas. If your not ready or able to do that then rethink your plan.

$0.02

pro-rider46
09-03-2007, 08:06 PM
yeah that idea of a 55 gallon drum sounds real nice. i dont know how good turbo blue is but what is a good fuel and a decent price. and do you know any way to get a discont some where?

GPracer2500
09-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Start by talking to the shop that sells it near you. They should be able to sell you a 55 gallon drum. I don't think Turbo Blue is the greatest out there (although I've never used it) but it should be fine. My preference would probably be VP C12. Check for a VP dealer somewhere in your area. Shop around and compare prices. Driving 50 or 100 miles isn't as big a deal when you're buying 3 or 4 hundred dollars of fuel all at once. And consider the cost of a good hand pump. I bought a cheap one once and it was a waste of money. It leaked, it was a pain to use, filled slowly, and eventually broke lol.

You should be able to get a much better price/per gallon by buying a full-sized barrel all at once. And as long as you keep it sealed when you're not actually drawing fuel out of the barrel, it will stay fresh for a long time.

pro-rider46
09-03-2007, 09:08 PM
well tommarow i will see if i can get a hold off some stuff and make acouple phone calls and i will post back here after school

pro-rider46
09-03-2007, 09:09 PM
and THANKS gp and everyone else

pro-rider46
09-04-2007, 01:53 PM
well it cost about 357 dollars for a 55 gallon drum off turbo blue. and its 4.50 for 100LL. i can get jet fuel. haha jk. i need to talk to the parents.

Scott-300ex
09-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Octane booster won't eat up bearings, it doesn't touch any bearings, unless you run a 2 stroke.:rolleyes:

And its doesn't raise it that much, if you don't need it it won't even help. It will increase gas mileage though.

And you'd use so much trying to make it get up to 105, you'd have $20 a gallon for it, so you might as well buy 110 for 6.50.

NorCalRacer
09-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
Octane booster won't eat up bearings, it doesn't touch any bearings, unless you run a 2 stroke.:rolleyes:

And its doesn't raise it that much, if you don't need it it won't even help. It will increase gas mileage though.

And you'd use so much trying to make it get up to 105, you'd have $20 a gallon for it, so you might as well buy 110 for 6.50.

It won't work. Even with a gallon, it will just saturate at one octane higher and then you will have the better part of a gallon of product in your tank unmixed. Most octane boosts are just tolulene or a similar substance with additives, definitely something special. Want to learn about octane boost? Call outlaw and talk to the people who make it:)

pro-rider46
09-05-2007, 01:41 PM
i think i am just going to stay away from the booster and run race gas. its only 357 dollars for a 55 gallon drum.

Scott-300ex
09-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Yup thats $6.50 just like I said it was around here, LoL, that would last me so long dude.

And NorCal, I have no clue wut your talking about, I was saying how he should just get race gas cuz he would need so much octane booster to bring it up to 105. :huh

NorCalRacer
09-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
Yup thats $6.50 just like I said it was around here, LoL, that would last me so long dude.

And NorCal, I have no clue wut your talking about, I was saying how he should just get race gas cuz he would need so much octane booster to bring it up to 105. :huh

Hey genius, I said octane boost wouldn't bring it to 105. Learn to read. If you use a gallon of the stuff, it still only raises up one octane rating then reaches the saturation point. So even a ton of the stuff wouldn't work.

Scott-300ex
09-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Wow, genius, sounds like the exact same thing I said.

NorCalRacer
09-07-2007, 08:58 AM
And you'd use so much trying to make it get up to 105, you'd have $20 a gallon for it, so you might as well buy 110 for 6.50. [/B][/QUOTE] :rolleyes: