PDA

View Full Version : hot cam stage 1

xveryx
09-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Anyone who installed any hot cams in a 400ex got any first time tips? Any problems i might run into when installing? And what to do and what not to do when installing. Kinda worried something might go wrong when i install mine and just wanted any last tips anybody has.

JOEX
09-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by xveryx
Anyone who installed any hot cams in a 400ex got any first time tips? Any problems i might run into when installing? And what to do and what not to do when installing. Kinda worried something might go wrong when i install mine and just wanted any last tips anybody has.
A few things...

Be sure to remove the decompression spring and plunger

Don't let the timing chain fall

Becareful when installing the valve cover bolts, only the larger
one has an official torque spec. I don't the manual handy but I think it's 17 ft lbs

Keep everything clean

Lube everything real well

09-02-2007, 10:10 AM
For the timing chain, take a metal coat hanger and bend it, make it looped around the end of the chain that way it wont fall

Kaleigh
09-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
For the timing chain, take a metal coat hanger and bend it, make it looped around the end of the chain that way it wont fall

I wish i knew that the first time i messed with it.. lol.. I did do that after the timing chain fell..

that idea works great..

what i did.. I didnt take the sprocket off the chain.. left it on and just swapped the cams.. didnt have to time it or anything..

like JOEX said.. dont forget the take the decompression pin and spring out.. i used a small philips screw driver to get the spring out.. just stick it in and the spring should just get stuck around the driver..

hope you have a good time with your new cam..

Kaleigh
09-02-2007, 02:24 PM
I send you a PM.. I hope it helps..

xveryx
09-02-2007, 04:48 PM
1 more question i forgot to ask. How can u tell whats the intake and the exhaust valves? Got the service manual and dont see it n there.

97WarriorRider
09-02-2007, 04:55 PM
The intake valves are the valves towards the rear and the intake vavles are the valves towards the front..Hope that helps

xveryx
09-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Then wheres the exhaust valves?

97WarriorRider
09-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I cant believe i said that!!the intake valves are in the rear and the exhaust vavles are in the front of the head

CarGuy7a
09-02-2007, 06:19 PM
just stick to your installation instructions that come with the cam (assuming you are buying it brand new) and you'll be fine.

if you aren't buying it new you can click this for the installation guide http://www.hotcamsinc.com/documents/support/Hot_Cams_TRX400EX_Camshaft_Install__1160147626110. pdf

yernkie
09-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Check out this link...

http://www.lspsonline.com/howto/400ex%20hotcam/index.htm

It is similar to the Hot Cams instructions, but has pictures I just installed a Satge 1 in my 40ex and it was a breeze. Two tips...

1. Zip tie the cam chain to the throttle cable. This keeps it out of the way.

2. Don't completely pull out the cam chain tensioner, Back it out per the instructions in the link. It can make it a little harder when putting the chain and sprocket on the cam, but it makes it easier in the long run because the tensioner can be a pain to get to since it is in a tight area. I did mine by myself,but an extra set of hands can save you a little time.

yernkie
09-02-2007, 10:30 PM
I almost forgot...you will love this cam! My bike is fairly stock (full Yoshi exhaust, K&N, no airbox lid, and jetted) and this cam made a huge difference in throttle response. I have only broke in the cam and taken it on a short ride, but I can tell a huge difference in the lowend. I can't wait to hit the dunes in a few weeks now.

09-03-2007, 07:50 AM
yeah cams give you a lot of low end grunt and some mid. They are great as long as they dont make you have to replace your motor. I gotta show you this picture that had even the guys at all the Honda dealers scratching their heads saying "how is that possible, i've never seen anything like this before!". The valve broke off, turned around, went right through the piston, then melted in it. Then then before the timing chain snapped tearing up the inside of the motor, some crazy stuff... good thing it was my brothers 400ex not mine haha

CarGuy7a
09-03-2007, 05:54 PM
that sounds to me like it stuck a valve and the piston smacked it and it broke.

oh yeah youll love the cam i've not had any problems with mine. when i drag race my buddy on his stock 400 with just pipe jet and filter, 1st and 2nd gear we are pretty even then we both hit 3rd and i jump about a quad length ahead.

it has great pull. even better with a vented airbox lid.