PDA

View Full Version : new sprockets

400Rider022
09-02-2007, 08:03 AM
time for a new chain and sprockets..what sizes and kind do u recommend i get..i ride mainly trails

JDMThoughts
09-02-2007, 11:24 AM
what kind of mods do you have. I bought my bike with a 16T front and hated it when it was completely stock so I switched to a 15T and the bike ran a whole lot faster. 99-04 bikes are 15T on the front sprocket and 05 and up are 14T I believe. I am constantly wishing I had a 16T on the front because I am running out of gears in the trail and I occasionally find myself looking for "6th". I predominantly ride trails as well, but I have many a place to get wide open and let her rip so I am looking for more speed. I would leave the rear sprocket at 38T. You need to adjust that several teeth if you wanna see the difference vs. the front sprocket adjustments. There is a gearing calculator that was posted only a few days ago and can be found if searched that will tell you all the speed combinations with different gearing.

ohsobad_chevy
09-02-2007, 12:49 PM
I found that with my 14/38 gearing on my YFZ, I would have to feather the clutch sometimes in tight areas. I dropped the front to a 13 and found that it works best for my riding.

To answer your question: I prefer primary drive sprockets, but my 13 tooth is a JT and it is holding up very well. I bought the JT for 9 bucks.

I still like the 14 tooth for dunes and free riding. Sprockets are cheap, so get you a 13, 14 and 15 and try them all out. You will be able to match them with your style of riding. :)

09-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
I found that with my 14/38 gearing on my YFZ, I would have to feather the clutch sometimes in tight areas. I dropped the front to a 13 and found that it works best for my riding.

To answer your question: I prefer primary drive sprockets, but my 13 tooth is a JT and it is holding up very well. I bought the JT for 9 bucks.

I still like the 14 tooth for dunes and free riding. Sprockets are cheap, so get you a 13, 14 and 15 and try them all out. You will be able to match them with your style of riding. :)

450's need to be reved much higher so gearing it more towards acceration is best. For a 400ex I love the gearing i have, stock 2004.

ohsobad_chevy
09-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
450's need to be reved much higher so gearing it more towards acceration is best. For a 400ex I love the gearing i have, stock 2004.

Flywheel weight and the way the engine is set up has a lot to do with low end grunt, you can set each engine/gearing up differently.