PDA

View Full Version : neoprene shocks covers

250rmike
09-01-2007, 07:48 PM
i need to buy 2 sets of neoprene shock covers for lt fron t shocks and std travel rear for my cannondales and i was wondering who all makes them i really like the pep style with the zipper but i can seem to get ahold of anyone who sells them to see if they can make this order does anyone know of anyone else who makes a shock cover similar to the pep ones?

09-02-2007, 07:05 AM
the pep covers are pretty expensive...bladwin motorsports sells them...
i have the dirt skins covers and they are neoprene, and less than half the price

250rmike
09-02-2007, 08:44 PM
alright thanks ill check them out

54warrior
09-04-2007, 09:07 AM
I've been told not to run covers on the rear shock because it prevents cool air from passing across the shock body and will cause the shock to overheat.

250rmike
09-04-2007, 12:41 PM
wouldnt the same apply to the front? where did you hear this seems logical though

54warrior
09-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by 250rmike
wouldnt the same apply to the front? where did you hear this seems logical though

The problem lies in the fact that the engine/frame/plastics, airbox, parts of the quad in general are blocking the air from flowing across the shock. Add to that the head from the engine and exhaust that is naturally carried towards the rear of the machine and it's a bad combination. Keep in mind that this generally applies to machines that are ridden extremely hard for long periods of time.

On the front of the quad, there is nothing obstructing the air, the shocks are out in the open where cool air flows freely across them, thus it is not a problem.

TRFOXX
09-04-2007, 06:54 PM
I bought a set off of here a few years ago from Big Cohoona. His was the best i still have them and are in great condition! Big Cohoona if your still out there i want another set for the 450r shocks. I paid 35.00 for the front and rear.

09-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
the pep covers are pretty expensive...bladwin motorsports sells them...
i have the dirt skins covers and they are neoprene, and less than half the price

PEP covers cost 60 dollars...or that's however much one of my friends payed for a pair of them.

rollie
09-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 250rmike

If im correct the exhuast on dales is already close to the rear shock, causing minor heat fade, so i dont think a cover would help that, then again i havent been into dales in a while so i could be wrong.

ZWILLETT47
09-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Don't run neoprene shock covers on fronts or your rear shock....
Your shocks will build too much heat and cause your oil to break down....costing you $$$ to rebuild them sooner....
Get a set of Outerwear Shock covers and save you shocks.....

54warrior
09-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by rollie
If im correct the exhuast on dales is already close to the rear shock, causing minor heat fade, so i dont think a cover would help that, then again i havent been into dales in a while so i could be wrong.

I was only referring to quads in general, not specifically to C'dales. You were correct that the exhaust is routed right beside the rear shock, I used to own one.

ZWILLETT47 is correct that only the outerwears ones should be ran.

250rmike
09-04-2007, 08:14 PM
yes the exhaust goes right past the rear shock as it exits the rear of the motor instead of the front. i was thinking about the heat and lack of airflow from the rear shock. i have never liked outerwears they just arent a good fit i have had a couple sets and do they make them in long travel now? and i figure im gonna have to rebuild them sooner or later from break down or from dirt geting in the seals and tearing em up. i am just gonna run eitherneoprene or nothing i just dont like the way the other material fits it always seems to be to tight to fit completely around the shock.

ZWILLETT47
09-04-2007, 08:24 PM
We had a set of Outerwears once that were made out of clear plastic. They were cool looking and even had vent holes so the could breath. The shocks would get so hot during a MX race you could touch them afterwards.

We had neoprene that would cause the shock to get very hot. One other thing about neoprene they do not breath and will hold moisture in. Rust things very quickly unless you keep them oiled regularly.

54warrior
09-04-2007, 08:43 PM
They rub the paint off the springs too.

09-05-2007, 05:57 AM
the noeprene covers do not wear the paint off the springs...and if you are just casual riding, there is not enough heat built up to break down the oil any faster. i would rather have the shocks covered and protected from the elements. and moisture build up in them is not a problem if you are like me...they come off and get cleaned after every ride...and don't go back on until all is clean and dry...