PDA

View Full Version : stroker

yellow machine
10-29-2002, 12:05 PM
who sells a stroker kit?
I was down at Little Sahara this weekend and saw a guy with a 500 stroker, he ripped it up. I dont think I want to go that big, but I would like some info on where I can go to find the crank kit.
:devil :devil

Extremeracer167
10-29-2002, 12:58 PM
Call TC racing. He sells one for about 550. Its a **** of a crank. Ran Frank grimplins, (open A champ at the GNCCs) man is that thing scary. It revs like a mofo and keeps going!!!

yellow machine
10-29-2002, 03:18 PM
Is it just a crank kit?
Can you use it with any bore?

dont mean to bother you with a bunch of questions, I just dont want to sound completly retarded when I call TC.

I am used to working on small block chevys, so stroking a motor is not completly new to me. I am looking to up grade my motor and boring it to the limit does not sound like a good option, so I am pricing out what it would take to build a stroker. Sounds like a good winter project!:devil :devil

Sparks425Ex
10-29-2002, 03:21 PM
Is it true that stroking a motor is better/more healthy for your motor?

10-29-2002, 03:25 PM
Call mike at For Dirt Only 740-967-1078 He does tons of strokers

Extremeracer167
10-29-2002, 03:55 PM
yeah its just a crank. Im not sure how much he changes it. 5-6mm. I cant remember. But its a CRAZY kind of power!!! yeah it will match up with any bore. TC is kinda hard to talk to on the phone, but just ask him what he recommends. If u go .120 over, it would come out to be a 465, and like i said, its crazy how much snap u get out of it. I run his 425 kit(.120over) and it is enough for me in the A class. Im still lookin for more though, lol!! im just putting a FCR carb on and rebuilding it, and its all the power ill need at 150lbs!

yellow machine
10-29-2002, 04:12 PM
I ride dunes, with .120 over bore what kind of heat troubles do you have. I want to be able to ride the dunes with out melting down. since 425/426 is largest bore you can go with out sleving the motor i am affraid of over heating. do you just race or ride dunes, trails or anything else that is a long duration high rpm riding situation?:devil :devil

MichaelS693
10-29-2002, 05:22 PM
call trinity they might

oynot400
10-29-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
Call mike at For Dirt Only 740-967-1078 He does tons of strokers
Give Mike a call, tell him what you want and I know that he can help you out and build the motor you are looking for.
He did for me. :D

yellow machine
10-29-2002, 07:32 PM
does he recomend using the wb cam, or was that a personal choice. I know there is alot of heated debate going on about Hotcams, ect. This is going to be my winter project so I have alot of time to chose carefully(Nebraska winters can be very long).

Extremeracer167
10-29-2002, 08:40 PM
We race GNCC, and the guy is the A class champ so u know hes not just putting around. Never had a problem overheating that i know of. He runs a set of my scoops, and thats it. No extra cooler or anything!

Extremeracer167
10-29-2002, 08:41 PM
talk to Chadexer hes got a TC crank and a 505 kit. He rides dunes, and he will tell u how that thing ROCKS!!

oregonrider89
10-29-2002, 08:46 PM
I got my stroker from powroll, and love it. I bought a kit from them that includer a 415 piston, carb, valve springs, hardfaced rockerarms, clutch springs and the crank work. You send them your carnk and they extend it 4mm. +4mm stroke + 415 =440. Give them a call even if you just want some questions answered. Their website is http://www.powroll.com Good luck with your stroking!

oregonrider89

oregonrider89
10-29-2002, 08:51 PM
and a cam too.

10-29-2002, 09:16 PM
Mike at fdo uses a web cam or any that you preferr. If you look into it most people use a web cam and call it their own.

ChadEXer
11-04-2002, 12:27 PM
Yellow machine,
What weekend were you down there??? It wasnt me you seen there was it?? I believe my crank is stroked 6 or 7mm! it definatley rocks!! At 1/4 throttle you think there is no way this thing can possible rev any higher,,,then when you open it up all he!! breaks loose!! Especially with the loud TC pipe,,,I wouldnt change anything for the world,,,except the carb for a new alky carb:D cant wait to see what that will do!!!! I highly recomend TC!!

danney f
11-04-2002, 02:09 PM
ChadEXer
What did it cost for all the motor work and kit?

ChadEXer
11-04-2002, 03:48 PM
Everything said and done was just a tad bit over 3K!! Money well spent!!!!

yellow machine
11-05-2002, 12:52 PM
I was down there with two other 400's and one baja ds 650, we were camped across from a group that had a two stroke snowmobile that was loud as he!!, We drove a white f-150 pulling a enclosed trailer that said skidoo racing on the side of it. I dont know if it was you? There was a orange banshee in the group the guy I talked to was in, but it did not run until the last day they were there. Was it you? I think he said he was from Tennessee?

ChadEXer
11-05-2002, 02:51 PM
I was down there the 17th through the 20th! I dont think we were there at the same time!

SandyCrab
11-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Hey, ChadEXer. I was wondering how much everything cost to build your 505 stroker, and how do you contact TC anyway?

yellow machine
11-05-2002, 08:09 PM
no I think I was down there the weekend after.

Have you ever seen a snowmoblie down there, I couldnt belive it. He had a ton of problems, he was constantly working on it. he blew a radiator hose, and bunch of other stuff. Never seen anything like it! he couldnt turn if his life depended on it!

It reminded me of that ad in the 4wheeler mags that has the picture of the guy sitting in the middle of the street fishing down a man hole and the caption reads: somebody by that man a ultility four wheeler(I cant remember who the ad was for).

I should have taken a picture of it and sent it to HONDA with the caption: Somebody buy that man a 400

skinrider440
11-05-2002, 08:22 PM
i have a 440 big bore kit what can i do to make it faster other than a cam and carb. i dont want to spend a lot of money. i can do all the work myself. is there someone that just sells a stroker kit

ChadEXer
11-06-2002, 08:53 AM
You can buy the stroker crank by itself! You can get it from TC or whoever you want to get it from!!

SandyCrab, It all cost a little over 3K, I chose and contacted TC because after calling EVERY engine builder and doing a LOT of research, he is the one who impressed me most!

ChadEXer
11-06-2002, 08:54 AM
Yellow Machine,
That weekend was my first weekend that ive ever been there! I dont believe it was their when I was!

BadA$$440
11-06-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by yellow machine

It reminded me of that ad in the 4wheeler mags that has the picture of the guy sitting in the middle of the street fishing down a man hole and the caption reads: somebody by that man a ultility four wheeler(I cant remember who the ad was for).

I should have taken a picture of it and sent it to HONDA with the caption: Somebody buy that man a 400

Ya, it was a Yamaha AD, and they said someone needs to buy that man a grizzly, or kodiak or whatever it was.

speedfreaky
11-06-2002, 02:11 PM
/

MR. HONDA EX'S
11-06-2002, 02:22 PM
ONYOT400, Do you have a 6mm stroker crank in your bike? Does FDO sell stroker cranks by thereselfs? I'm wanting to build the motor myself and not have a builder do it.

THANKS

oynot400
11-06-2002, 02:32 PM
Mine is a 7mm stroker. If you just want a stroked crank and piston kit, Mike will do that for you. That is what I did. I did all the work myself, except for some machining on the rod and counter balancer.
Give Mike a call, he will be more than willing to work with you.
FDO 740-967-1078 :D

MR. HONDA EX'S
11-06-2002, 06:31 PM
Just a few more ?'s. IF you have a 7mm stroker what's the bore? Because a 88 is 468 and 87 is a 457. What type of maching did you need to do, to fit the stroker in? Was it really $$$. Thanks again.:D

2 QuicK
11-06-2002, 08:37 PM
Who's FDO?? :confused: :huh :(

oynot400
11-07-2002, 06:04 AM
First off FDO is For Dirt Only. ;)
The bore is an 88m which would make is 426, I believe. The machining he did was to the connecting rod. He had to cut a notch in it so it would miss 3rd gear. He also took a few thousands off the counter balancer to allow the piston skirt to pass also. I did have to grind a very little off the counter balancer shaft to let the connecting rod pass also. Other than that it was a straight bolt together kit.
Let me know if there is anything else you want to know. :D

ChadEXer
11-07-2002, 08:10 AM
oynot,
How much did he have to cut into the grinding rod?? Remember back when we were talking about whick rod was best and i told you Tom said that Hot Rods are NO GOOD, the carrilo rods are better but still not a good idea to put in a big bore??? Thats what he meant by that! He said with any other rod you have to cut into it,,,he said at first he was having a lot of big bores come back to him with broken rods so he started making his own rods,,,he said the rod he makes is stronger than the Carrilo rod and he doesnt have to cut it to get it to clear!

oynot400
11-07-2002, 08:37 AM
I wish I would of took a pic of the rod. I never measuered how much he took out. By looking at it he didn't take that much out of it, he just notched a small section. I talked with Mike last night and we were talking about con-rods. I asked him about the IMS rod compaired to the Carrilo rod. He told me that the Carrilo rod is the best that there is, there is not doubt about it. What is hard on rods is high rpm's. Depending on the cam, and where the power band is, staying in the lower rpms the IMS rod will hold up. Now he told me if I really start pushing this motor and do some serious head work with his cam then the Carrilo rod would be recommended.
I don't see how the Carrilo rod could miss 3rd gear. If it is that beefy something has to be notched, either the rod or the gear.

ChadEXer
11-07-2002, 09:07 AM
But even if he notched a small section you have to figure any cutting on a solid piece of metal will make it weaker! But maybe it only needs to be done on like a 505 or something??? I know that mine is stroked 7mm too so im not sure if stroke makes a difference?? Also staying in the low RPMs on a big bore is near impossible,,,,you figure, noone builds a monster motor to stay in the low RPM's,,,Im gonna use everything mine has!! Did he put a Hot Rod or a Carrilo rod in your bike??

oynot400
11-07-2002, 10:06 AM
May be I used the wrong terms by saying low rpms. What I meant by that was staying below the rev limiter. He told me that in time I should be able to feel where the power band falls off. Just because a motor will rev to 11-12,000 rpm doesn't mean that is where peak hp or torque is. May be with a 493 or a 505 then the Carrilo rod is a must. I told him how I wanted to ride this thing and that is what he recomended. The mx tracks around here are real short, so I don't need the power at the higher rpms for a long straight away. I told him that I was not planning on doing much flat track next year, so I will not be bummping the rev limiter like before.
I also asked if notching the rod will weaken it. He assured me that it would be fine because where he notched it is not a high stress area, such as at the bottom of the rod. I really wish I would of taken a pic to show you.
I do appreciate the concern. :)

ChadEXer
11-07-2002, 10:38 AM
What made you decide to do the 463?? Why didnt you go to the 493?? Anyway, let us know how that thing runs when you get a chance to get some good riding on it!!

oynot400
11-07-2002, 10:45 AM
I guess I went with the 463 because I did not trust the sleeve I had in my motor. I hear the stories about the IMS sleeve cracking and I figured I got by with the low compression 440. So why push it. I wanted to start fresh with a different sleeve. That and when I talked with Mike and told him how I was going to run it, he recommended the 463. This way I will have room to grow if I want. :D
I hope this weekend will have good weather so I can really get on it and make it rip! :devil

MR. HONDA EX'S
11-07-2002, 01:33 PM
Don't trying to be smart, but a 88mm (426) w/ a 77mm crank (7mm stroker) comes out to a 468.3231cc motor. Maybe Guy432 can help us out. Do you know if FDO sale different size stroker cranks, i.e 4mm, 5mm 6mm, 7mm etc. I'm looking in to making a 441 or a 429 stroker motor. Chadexer, do you know what size bore TC put in your bike?

Sorry for all the ?'s, but i'm trying to find out the best way to build my motor. I've been looking for a best kit for about a yr now.

Thanks again guys.:)

oynot400
11-07-2002, 02:12 PM
After I ran the numbers the closest way to a 463 is a 6 mm stroke. I could be wrong but I thought he said a 7mm stroke, either way this thing ROCKS! :devil The best I can tell you is to give Mike a call some evening. I am sure that he will work with you. I am sure that TC would do the same or any of the other builders. I was impressed with Mike and the turn around time. That is why I went with him and the help from GNCCer. :D
If you are interested and don't want to wait to have your crank stroked I would sell my stock one. So you could send it off and be still able to ride.
Just a thought.....:)

11-07-2002, 04:13 PM
oynot your motor is a 463 and it is stroked 6mm. Mike doesn't use carrilo or hot rod anymore unless you request it for some reason. He believes that the rods he is useing are much better than carrilo. I can not remember the name of the company that he has making them for him but they are specialy made just for him. Right now he is out of rods but has a new batch being mad. They will be in the second week of December. The new ones he is making do not have to be shaved at all to clear anything. The only thing that will still have to have something done to it is the counter balancer so the piston skirt can clear it. FDO does offer several different crank strokes. I know he makes a mean 493ex motor also. Hopefully this helped someone!

MR. HONDA EX'S
11-07-2002, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys. Oynot, a 6mm sounds a little closer. Not being smart. I spent 4 hrs the other day at work playing with the #'s.
What is the best time to cal Mike@ FDO?

GNCCer, If I would go w/ a 6mm I would still need to machine the sleeve right? Not a big deal, I work at a machine shop. And my cuz can do it a school. He's in school for machinist. I wonder if Mike would give me a good deal on 2 stroker cranks? I think I got my cuz talked in to a stroker. He's got a 416 kit now.

How would a stroker work in the woods and a fast trails? If the motor is built right and if a find time next yr. I my try out some XC racing.
:D

Thanks again!!!

oynot400
11-07-2002, 08:35 PM
The best time I have gotten ahold of Mike is around 7-9 CST or 8-10 EST.
The only thing that you will need to do to your sleeve is have it bored to match the piston.
The more I ride this thing, the more I like it! :D The thing I like about it is it is not the explosive, flip you over backwards power. It just pulls and pulls through out the rpms. I know that it would be great on the trails or xc course. ;)
I thought Mike said it was a 7mm crank, but we have talked about so many things over the past couple of months. I could of got mixed up. No big deal, I hope that I have helped.

MR. HONDA EX'S
11-08-2002, 11:25 AM
THANK YOU very much!

ChadEXer
11-08-2002, 01:39 PM
I remember Tom telling me that he is one of the only ones that will stroke as far as 7mm,,,he said there arent many builders that do! I know mine is a 7mm stroke for sure, I think the piston is a 92mm but not sure,,,i would need a displacement calculator to figure it out again, i keep forgeting!!

oynot400
11-08-2002, 02:07 PM
When I work the number the only way I can get 505 is a 92 mm bore and a 76 mm stroke. Other wise a 92 bore and 77 stoke comes to a 512! :eek: Now when they figure displacement is the head volume considered? :confused:

ChadEXer
11-08-2002, 02:38 PM
Man that stuff gets confusing!!!

Bean
11-08-2002, 04:22 PM
if i had the choice of a 440 all over again i would

bored to a 416, stroked to a 440 is the best setup, IMO

11-08-2002, 06:02 PM
MR HONDA EX'S I am setting my quad up for XC racing only and I getting a 463 done in about a month because I feel it will be the best motor for that situation. The best time to get ahold of Mike at FDO is in the evenings or weekends. I am going up to his shop tomorrow I will try to find some more things out for everyone. If anyone has any ? they want to know from him PM and I will ask him tomorrow

MR. HONDA EX'S
11-08-2002, 08:09 PM
I get the same 512cc that you got. That's w/ 7mm stroke.

I can't think of any real big ?'s right now. But If I do I'll ask you.

GNCCer, Is there a reason you are going w/ a 463? over the 426?

Thank you again.:D

11-09-2002, 07:03 AM
I have a 426 now with all the head work done and like it but it lacks a little bit of bottom end and the power seems to have too much of hit to it for the woods. The 463 with no head work and a drop in cam is going to give me about the same power for less money. Plus the power will come on smoother and I will not have to shift near as much or slip the clutch as often which will all save energy. I would like to go bigger than a 463 but then I think that reliability becomes an issue.

MR. HONDA EX'S
11-09-2002, 06:25 PM
It makes a lot of sense to go w/ a smooth powerband. Cause hit a tree is now fun (been there). How do you like the 8 plate clutch?
what's the uses of a 8 plate set-up? Do you need a clutch cover?

Thanks

Dave400ex
11-09-2002, 06:45 PM
Hey what would a 416 Stroked to a 440 Cost? I am looking for a XC Motor setup. I am thinking 416 or 425 to start off, and then having a Stroker put in some time. TC said his 425 kit is just a Piston, Cam, and his Pipe. That's what Rick Cecco runs, then Stroked to a 465. So could I get a 416 Piston, Cam, and be done for now? Then Stroke it to a 440 later? Also how much does the 8 Plate setup cost and what all is included? I think my Clutch has been slipping lately, or I don't pull up enough. Thanks

11-09-2002, 06:52 PM
Call Mike at FDO tomorrow he should be in his shop all day he can give you more exact prices than I can. and Yes you can do a 416 now then stroke it to a 440 later if you want.

Dave400ex
11-09-2002, 06:56 PM
What do you think would be better, the 416 Stroked to a 440, or the 425 Stroked to the 465? I know the 465 would have more Power, but what about Torque?

Also Rick is selling his 465 Stroker in the Classifieds. Check it out.

11-09-2002, 06:58 PM
the 463 should have more torque and the 440 should rev a little better.

oynot400
11-11-2002, 06:12 AM
Well I took mine out yesterday, and I am more impressed every time I ride it. With that extra power it corners better because I can get the tire spin I want. I am not sure but I think it revs faster now. :eek: I know I would highly recomend this motor to any one. GNCCer was right the power is so smooth. :D

11-11-2002, 04:13 PM
GNCCer was right I guess there is a first time for everything! lol Glad you like it can't wait to get mine done