PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you "choke cherry" riders..

QuadJunkies
10-29-2002, 11:43 AM
Ok, Im curious which is the easiest way to get to choke cherry? When we went this summer, we went by the side closest to the road(cant think of how else to explain it)I thought there was a "highway" to get there.Ive seen the pics on Wyoduners pics before. Is it along the back side of Thunder Mnt? by BLM land? I simply could not get there the first way, extremely steep ride and not enough power for my lil ride.I really want to see choke this year and for $h!z and giggles try it and see how far I get on it, that is unless I have my new ride by then.Anyhow, anyone wit hsome good directions ,much appreciated..Thanks.Tina;)

Sandgod4
10-29-2002, 05:55 PM
You can get get to it from the sand trail/dunes thats run along the bottom of Thunder Mtn. It is 4 miles to Choke Cherry. The dunes are very very big going the other route..

QuadJunkies
10-29-2002, 11:22 PM
gee...So If i go the trail way by thunder,I should have no problem getting there then right? I made 3/4 of the way over the bigger stuff,I tried riding down the center of the dunes and to the left of them..

WyoDuner
10-31-2002, 01:15 PM
TNT, like Sandgod said, if you start at the base of Thunder mountain and just stay on the trail that goes off to the right you will get to the bottom of Chokecherry. I don't remember if the trail is continuous or not but stay out of the big dubnes and in the flat areas and you will get there. Once you get to Chokecherry it's only another 1/2 mile to Devil's Dune. Actually, I think it is close further than 4 miles though.

Now, getting to the TOP of chokecherry is another story. I've gone the highway way from Egin lakes before but there are still some big hills that you have to climb to get from the highway Across to Chokecherry. I tried taking a guy on a 300ex to the top before but couldn't fund a way.

When you are at the bottom of Chokecherrym there is a path sideways off to the right that goes about 2/3 of the way up to the top thne hits a flat area and continues the remaining way to the top. I've seen a Blaster make it up that way so a 300ex might make it. It's too close to say for sure but that's really probably your best bet. The second best way would be to go around the back of Devil's dune and work your way up the hills then follow along the top edge back to Chokecherry.

(or you could get a Banshee) :)

own2424
10-31-2002, 03:00 PM
Wyoduner...I heard Choke Cherry is a HUGE hill, you got any pics of it?!

QuadJunkies
10-31-2002, 04:26 PM
Thanks Wyo~~ BTW~~ You got a good duning site;) Ill pay ya a visit once in awhile:)

zephead400ex
11-01-2002, 01:45 PM
here are some pics of Choke Cherry...of my friends site

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/ledofthezep/

zephead400ex
11-01-2002, 01:46 PM
heres another...

zephead400ex
11-01-2002, 01:48 PM
actually, here it is...

WyoDuner
11-01-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by own2424
Wyoduner...I heard Choke Cherry is a HUGE hill, you got any pics of it?!

I think I might have a pic or 2... Probably a dozen and about 10 videos of just Chokecherry. Go to the photos section of my site and click on the St. Anthony pics link.

TNT, thanks, I try. I just put about 20 pics up from Little Sahara, Utah and the videos will be up this weekend....

Here's a sample of the Chokecherry pics:

http://www.dunereview.com/saintanthony/SA-Chokecherry1.jpg

own2424
11-01-2002, 03:43 PM
WoW! That thing is pretty STEEP! Do stock banshees have a shot at that hill or no? :confused:

QuadJunkies
11-01-2002, 04:01 PM
THis pic I took of what I think is choke cherry?:confused: THis was as close to it as I could get with my 300ex things just got too big for my liking and didnt want to roll it like I did my first trip up there..:( The picutres of of the dunes do no justice until you see them up close,they are MASSIVE?!!:blah

Sandgod4
11-01-2002, 05:30 PM
This is Buddah just to the right, but same hill basically...

CHAUNCY
11-01-2002, 10:09 PM
man that is a big hill.

WyoDuner
11-02-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by own2424
WoW! That thing is pretty STEEP! Do stock banshees have a shot at that hill or no? :confused:

Well, mostly it depends on the time of the year and how soft the sand is. Early in the year it is steeper and tougher - as the season goes on it gets cut away at the top and less steep and it's easier to get up.

I have seen a stock Banshee make it up when I couldn't make it up when my Banshee was stock but I weigh a lot so that doesn't help. I have seen a video of a Z400 making it up....

So, yes... a stock Banshee can make it up. No matter what you ride you will want paddles - preferably straight paddles and Huevos too.

Quadjunkies, I don't think that is Chokecherry you have in the picture... It looks like the start of the long hill that Chokecherry is in the middle of... You'll get there.

Next time we will definately meet up and one way or the other we'll get you out there. :)

twisted threads
11-03-2002, 04:21 PM
Choke Cherry is a blast cant wate to get back! Isn't there a trail on both sides of the dunes so you can get to choke cherry???

QuadJunkies
11-03-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by twisted threads
Choke Cherry is a blast cant wate to get back! Isn't there a trail on both sides of the dunes so you can get to choke cherry??? Hey!!!!Whats up stranger??? You have had a few here asking about ya?Yes, there is a trail on both sides, but the one to the left was way hard for me to get there on my 300ex..:( and I tried riding the middle of the dunes up too which was even harder:mad: so I will have to try the other way next year, one way or another I WILL get out there, Im hopeing to have my upgrade by then.:D :D ,Anyhow Ryan, Good to see ya back!!So, are we still up for next year at St. A's???:D

CHAUNCY
11-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Man that hill looks awsome.

quadbiker
11-14-2002, 05:19 PM
That hill is awesome. You should see Devil's Dune. It's even bigger.

QuadJunkies
11-15-2002, 12:30 AM
I acant wait to see what the remodeled look will be out at Egin Lake!:D I like it there so your linda in the middle so you can ride the big and little rolly stuff too.It should be nice this spring.:)

quadbiker
11-15-2002, 05:22 PM
The upgrade a Egin Lakes looks really good. Lots of new restrooms, and double, maybe triple the amount of parking. I hope they allow "open season" on pit racers.

QuadJunkies
11-16-2002, 02:40 AM
I memtioned this befroe ,but St. Anthonys should really form an Annual event there..Hill races and drags in the last summer when the lake dried up..wouldnt that be cool!!:D :blah