PDA

View Full Version : Shaved fenders?

mudrunner35
08-31-2007, 04:53 PM
how come racers always have shaved fenders? is it manditory or do people do it to look cool? lol. and when you're trail riding if you have shaved fenders do you get alot muddier than with the fenders on?

That400exGuy
08-31-2007, 04:58 PM
yes you do get a bit muddyer but i think its just for looks... i wanted to get them onn my 400ex i like em a lot also if you trail ride and would happen to wreck your plastics wont be as bad also i would just want cut off fronts not back=]

allstock
08-31-2007, 05:28 PM
mostly for looks and you dont really get any extra mud unless its super muddy out. the only reason i cut my is because my knee would hit my fender and brake my bracket... and it makes it feel wider too:D

mudrunner35
08-31-2007, 06:15 PM
well i think shaved fenders definatly look alot better on some quads, but others just would look really stupid IMO

allstock
08-31-2007, 06:28 PM
it depends how you cut them

mx1791
08-31-2007, 11:01 PM
in the air i can feel them flapping and stuff, i feel like im going to fly away or something. i think it is mainly for looks though, ill prob go cut ones next year

mudrunner35
08-31-2007, 11:40 PM
what do you use to cut fenders? just an exacto-knife and melt the rough edge with a lighter until its smooth?

NacsMXer
09-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by mudrunner35
what do you use to cut fenders? just an exacto-knife and melt the rough edge with a lighter until its smooth?

A jigsaw makes nice cuts and is easy to control, that's what I used on my fronts. Then sand the edges and use a torch/lighter to get the color back.

The contours on my rear fenders were a little more tricky so I elected to use a Rotozip tool instead.

Lots of ways to cut them, some easier than others ;)

09-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Cutting fenders are for looks but mostly for seeing where your front tires are. It is much easier to see whats coming up or how close you are with race cut fenders. I have heard racers saying its aerodynamics and makes you faster, I doubt that but I guess ya never know