PDA

View Full Version : Glamis Set Up for 86TRX

ERBE
08-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Setting upa TRX for Glamis, Jr loves to wheelie! do you stay with the stock swing arm length or go shorter? what about A arms plus 2"
had the rear shock done by TCS and the works shocks redone by TCS also, kid also loves to jump, cleaned up cylinder FMF pipe all else is stock.

redrooster310r
08-31-2007, 06:17 AM
20 11 10/9 itp sand star rears... fronts also..... 13/14 39 sprockets. suspension sounds good.ive got +3 and it goes thru the whooops like a rail.... solften comp a little. stock swinger is good . i added a plus 4 on my 88 but its a 350 p/v. lenthening lets you wheelie less and get power to the ground. open that air box use an outerware cover to keep sand out. also a gas carrier rear rack helps in the long run.

GPracer2500
08-31-2007, 11:29 AM
I'd get 20x10x8 6 paddle SkatTrack Haulers.

ERBE
08-31-2007, 11:33 AM
6 paddle, loose a bunch of bite wont ya?

I have those ITP sand Stars Fricken Heavy!
I getting a set of Sand Tire Unlimited sand Skat 20" from a buddy, thinking of getting them comp #01 grooved

GPracer2500
08-31-2007, 01:45 PM
There is a certain amount of rider preference when it comes to paddles. The basic trade-off comes down to excessive spinning on take-off vs. bogging down at higher speeds and taller gears. Haulers will tend to understeer slightly more than your typical V-paddle, but I've found this factor has just as much to do with line choice and adapting to the paddles characteristics than anything else. In other words, it's not a deal breaker for me by any means (nor do I think it should be for most people).

6 paddles haulers have plenty of bite. If your son rides aggressively, I think his bike's performance will be hurt a lot more by the possibility of bogging from too much paddle than it will be from loosing out some amount of launch-bite. Plus, in my experience a rider can adjust how they launch to suit the paddle. Conversely, there's really nothing you can do when you try shifting from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th on a hill and the engine falls out of the powerband because it can't spin the tires enough. But like I said, I've never found 6 paddle haulers to lack any significant launching ability on a typical 250r. Also, Haulers are typically lighter which is an advantage.

If your son will enjoy drag racing up the hills, that's all the more reason to choose a Hauler (because those situations are exactly when you need/want good tall gear performance). The ability to use (for example) 5th gear in an uphill drag can make the difference between not having fun getting your *** kicked all the time vs. being able to stay competitive.

I prefer .125 rims for weight reasons but if you son jumps a lot he may want the added durability of a heavier (stronger) rim.

If it's worth anything to you (it's been invaluable to me), I've tested 4 different paddles in Glamis back-to-back on my 250r (Sand Sharks, comp cut Sand Sharks, 6 paddle Haulers, and Dune Hoppers). I've also tested 6 paddle Haulers vs. Sand Sharks on a friends 250r. The 6 paddle haulers were definitely the best for me on either bike. The comp cut Sand Sharks came in second. Regular Sand Sharks absolutely suck once you feel the difference in snap and acceleration offered by a 6 paddle Hauler.

$0.02

gojk
08-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
There is a certain amount of rider preference when it comes to paddles. The basic trade-off comes down to excessive spinning on take-off vs. bogging down at higher speeds and taller gears. Haulers will tend to understeer slightly more than your typical V-paddle, but I've found this factor has just as much to do with line choice and adapting to the paddles characteristics than anything else. In other words, it's not a deal breaker for me by any means (nor do I think it should be for most people).

6 paddles haulers have plenty of bite. If your son rides aggressively, I think his bike's performance will be hurt a lot more by the possibility of bogging from too much paddle than it will be from loosing out some amount of launch-bite. Plus, in my experience a rider can adjust how they launch to suit the paddle. Conversely, there's really nothing you can do when you try shifting from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th on a hill and the engine falls out of the powerband because it can't spin the tires enough. But like I said, I've never found 6 paddle haulers to lack any significant launching ability on a typical 250r. Also, Haulers are typically lighter which is an advantage.

If your son will enjoy drag racing up the hills, that's all the more reason to choose a Hauler (because those situations are exactly when you need/want good tall gear performance). The ability to use (for example) 5th gear in an uphill drag can make the difference between not having fun getting your *** kicked all the time vs. being able to stay competitive.

I prefer .125 rims for weight reasons but if you son jumps a lot he may want the added durability of a heavier (stronger) rim.

If it's worth anything to you (it's been invaluable to me), I've tested 4 different paddles in Glamis back-to-back on my 250r (Sand Sharks, comp cut Sand Sharks, 6 paddle Haulers, and Dune Hoppers). I've also tested 6 paddle Haulers vs. Sand Sharks on a friends 250r. The 6 paddle haulers were definitely the best for me on either bike. The comp cut Sand Sharks came in second. Regular Sand Sharks absolutely suck once you feel the difference in snap and acceleration offered by a 6 paddle Hauler.

$0.02

I agree with this 100%. I went with a 7 paddle instead, but I think a 6 or 7 should be pretty equal.

Also the ITP Sand Stars are a pretty decent tire if you want a v-blade type of tire.

fireburns99
09-04-2007, 12:47 PM
I also went with the 7-paddle, and it seems to pull them nicely.