PDA

View Full Version : big gun cdi

00.400ex#55
08-30-2007, 10:24 PM
well since the search feature on here is prety lame i couldnt think of a way to find this since nothing was more then 3 letters.

anyways what are your opinions on it? i just picked one up on ebay and its on its way, but after reading information from other sites im starting to regret it. exept the bad stuff i read about it was on other quads, not an ex.

EX LONERIDER
08-30-2007, 10:27 PM
cdi bowes are over rated and over priced for what they do. unless you run your bike at top rpm all the time they really arent worth it.

resell it and get a sparks advance key. it'll give you power through out the whole powerband instead of recurving the ignition away from the bottom end.

00.400ex#55
08-30-2007, 10:50 PM
well i ride on open roads alot in 5th gear and wanting a bit more. also ordered a 16/36 gearing combo so well see if thats too tall aswell. this little gear ratio thing says il do 6mph faster in 5th with the extra revs but i have no idea if thats accurate. constantly wanting a 6th gear because i fell its way under geared. what i realy wanted to know is if they crap out like others were saying. just stop working?

GPracer2500
08-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
....instead of recurving the ignition away from the bottom end...

You have info about what the BigGun box does to the ignition advance curve? Please share. Thanks!

EX LONERIDER
08-31-2007, 05:57 AM
You have info about what the BigGun box does to the ignition advance curve? Please share. Thanks!

havet seen one on the big gun yet but ill try to find the link i seen on these. on most if not all of these cdi boxes, thats what they do. another thing with the big gun ones, they dont have a rev limiter either so they let the motor rap out as far as it will go.

back when i first started looking into these i decided against them after reading what they did to the ignition curves and whent with the advance key instead. it makes more sence to use that instead of the cdi box unless you have a top end motor wich they tend to run best on. i find it real hard to beleive some of these claims of "adds 3HP instantly" like the big gun website states.