PDA

View Full Version : 1st oil and tranny fluid change

BigRed&Goldie
08-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Today I changed the oil for the first time on my '05 and I have a couple of questions for you guys!

1st, I changed the oil as I was supposed to and filled it up to the H mark. I started the quad and the oil no longer appeared in the window as if it were empty. Do I need to add more now that it has been started?

2nd, I pulled the drain plug out of the tranny and the fluid burst out. It seemed as though it was under extreme pressure? Also the tranny fluid seemed really thin, almost watery? Are these things normal?

The quad only has maybe 10 hours on it, and has never been through the water. I have 108mi race this weekend and dont want to ruin my machine!!!!

Thanks for the help, not used to the 450 yet.....got to love the 400ex!!!!!

ss440ex
08-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Ck the engine oil with the engine warmed up and not running.

It will not be in the sight glass when running.

Trans oil...remove the fill cap first,before removing the drain plug.

Service trans oil till oil comes out the weep drain,1/2 up the r/h side cover.
Hope that helps!

08-31-2007, 06:58 AM
Pressure in the trans is normal.

ATV Chic
08-31-2007, 07:03 AM
Yes, the tranny fluid is thin. If you need more info and don't have the service manual, check out www.trx450r.org. Lots of info and a downloadable service manual there! :p

Rulz
08-31-2007, 08:17 AM
I've never seen my motors have pressure built up on the tranny side, and the fluid on the tranny side should be no thinner than the crank side, especially when you run the same weight oil. I'd suggest you check your coolant level.

speedfreaksguy
08-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by BigRed&Goldie

The quad only has maybe 10 hours on it...

You should be changing the oil more often than that. Especially for the first oil change.

ltothaj1
08-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ss440ex
Ck the engine oil with the engine warmed up and not running.

It will not be in the sight glass when running.

Trans oil...remove the fill cap first,before removing the drain plug.

Service trans oil till oil comes out the weep drain,1/2 up the r/h side cover.
Hope that helps!

so r u saying that u should not be able to see the oil in the sight glass when im riding it?

ss440ex
08-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Only a slight splash...
you are correct.

killroy
08-31-2007, 02:44 PM
u waited 10 hours to change the oil on your first oil change? if you keep up on the maintenance like that your engine should last until about xmas :ermm:

lumi
08-31-2007, 07:25 PM
frist off.... refer to ur owners manual..

heat up ur quad for 5 minutes than shut it off and let it sit for 2 minutes... than check where the oil is... should be at the H mark.
btw:u cannot check ur oil level with the machine on...

2nd)
next time u change ur tranny fluid, open the fill cap, than open the tranny oil drain. yes the oil is watery.. i prefer honda hp tranny oil... fill until it comes out of the check oil level hole(refer to owners manual)

as to the tranny pressure... u should have lil pressure in there, but close to non as its a vented system... so go for a ride, open ur tranny oil fill cap, if u feel pressure or hear air wooshing out, u have a clogged vent tube.. that can be bad... find the vent tubes and see what going on..

on a stock machine i dont see why u cant go over 10 hours without a oil change.... sorry

-lumi

killroy
08-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by lumi

on a stock machine i dont see why u cant go over 10 hours without a oil change.... sorry

-lumi the very first oil change though? come on.....

Hammer trx450r
09-01-2007, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by killroy
the very first oil change though? come on.....

Read everybody, its an 05!!

BigRed&Goldie
09-01-2007, 11:20 AM
My bad, now that I think about it, it only had about five hours on it. Only three rides. The oil and filter looked brand new. I just got done breaking it in. I put the Honda oil with moly in the engine, and HP4 in the tranny.

I really am a stickler on maintenance.....I changed the oil on my 400ex every other ride and I clean my air filter every ride. Like I said, I am just not used to the 450r yet. I think the engine side was overfilled from the factory, becasue I could always see oil in the window running or not.

Thanks for the input.....and sorry about the over estimate on hours.....I wouldn't let my baby go that long without its first taste of fresh oil!!!!!

BigRed&Goldie

ltothaj1
09-01-2007, 11:38 PM
both my 450's always have oil up to the H running or not...thats the way they both were when i bought them from the factory and thats the way i been keeping them...havent had any problems yet...