PDA

View Full Version : Changing front sprocket?

reptikes
08-30-2007, 02:42 PM
I was wondering if changing my front sprocket up/down one tooth will wear out my clutch? If not, what bad can come from going up/down one tooth on your front sprocket?

Also i know that going from a 14 tooth front sprocket to a 15 tooth sprocket will give me more top end. Which would mean going from a 14 tooth front sprocket to a 13 tooth sprocket would give me more bottom end. So how does the rear sprocket work?
The same or opposite?

Thanks,
Mike

Scro
08-30-2007, 02:50 PM
If you go down on the front sprocket it will wear the chain a little faster, but nothing to worry about. As far as the clutch goes, it has no direct effect on it. However, if you gear it up, you will probably have to slip the clutch more if you ride tight woods/areas (causing the clutch to wear quicker).

Going up on the rear will give more bottom, going down will give more top. Opposite of the front sprocket.

d14ex
08-31-2007, 05:31 PM
you know i never understood that because you gain bottomend when you go down in tire size, just a thought :confused:

allstock
08-31-2007, 08:11 PM
im not sure about the clutch but gearing is opposite lower front = more bottow and higher rear = more bottom i think its every tooth you go down in the front is like 3 up in the rear

09-01-2007, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by allstock
gearing is opposite lower front = more bottow and higher rear = more bottom i think its every tooth you go down in the front is like 3 up in the rear

That is correct.

tcr450r
09-02-2007, 08:07 PM
i went up a tooth in the front and hated it. It was very hard on my clutch especially with 20s on the back