PDA

View Full Version : advice for soon-to-be drivers

ny300exrider
08-30-2007, 02:24 PM
dont get a truck unless you really need it.

i got a 4.7 v8 dakota 4x4 as my 2nd vehicle....im 17 years old. i thought it was the sickest thing after buying it.....went against my mom saying"why get a truck" and bought it without thinking twice

now i've had it for about 2 months and now im beginning to regret the decision.

i "had to have a truck" to fit in with the riding scene, and because i had it in my mind that i would always have needs for a truck.

well, ive came to realize that i dont enjoy beating my nice stuff up driving on the rutted up beach and mud, i dont tow stuff, i dont even need to transport my quad because i ride from my driveway.

now i spend 100 bucks a week on gas pretty much just to look cool....i work on top of going to college so i can easily afford it, but it still pisses me off.

i love the truck, and it turns heads, but now that i realize how much of my hard earned money actually goes in the tank, it pisses me off.

i want a drz400sm for next year and at this rate...i def. wont have the cash for one.

soooo in conclusion, im now going to try trading or selling my truck for a 4cyl car that i shouldve just got in the first place. looking for a acura rsx/vw gli/nissan altima/new style civic, etc

point of this post is to let the kids know....dont get a pickup unless your ready to shell out some bank or you actually are going to use it to it's potential.;)

400exrider99
08-30-2007, 02:57 PM
i am in the same situation. i raerly use my truck to pull my quad. but i am planning to get a camaro z28 lt1 soon. :D

ZeroLogic
08-30-2007, 02:59 PM
I have a Frontier 4 cylinder, I get around 24-25 mpg. It cost me to fill her up from E to fill about 33 bucks the last time I brought gas. Its not the fastest truck in the world but it gets me from point a to point b and I can haul my bike on it.

TCracin440ex
08-30-2007, 03:33 PM
im no newbie driver but ive been driving a truck since forever and i will continue reguardless

Stevie-D
08-30-2007, 04:33 PM
lol gas is just the beginning! i just wrecked my truck last week. had over 12000 into a 93 dodge pickup. hit a tree pretty hard with it...and i have no collision coverage.
the sad part? ive got it completely stripped already. my motors going out to be built soon. already have a new frame that is getting my suspension bolted on now.
between the two trucks all said and done, i dont even want to know how much cash ive got into them
for me, having a truck is more of a hobby than it is something to get from point a to point b

but i have to agree...trucks definately are a money pit. ideally...i'd like a little **** box car to drive to work and just use the truck for work and play

Toadz400
08-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I have a Frontier 4 cylinder, I get around 24-25 mpg. It cost me to fill her up from E to fill about 33 bucks the last time I brought gas. Its not the fastest truck in the world but it gets me from point a to point b and I can haul my bike on it.

I have the biggest POS Sonoma 4 cylinder. Get around 23-26 mpg and costs around $45-50 to fill up the tank. I hate the truck. Would rather have a car.

my88r
08-30-2007, 05:01 PM
i got a Chevy s10 i like it a lot single cab so its pretty small for all the gear but good on gas mileage

ricksmx865
08-30-2007, 05:10 PM
im 20 and have had a regular 2x4 s10 sold it and got a zr2.. about 6 months ago i traded the zr2 in for a vwjetta for the gas milage, now i bought another bike and i want my truck back!!

lol, i guess i'm opposite

CannondaleRider
08-30-2007, 05:11 PM
I drive a 2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab, 3500, 4x4....5.9 with the 6-Speed.

Gets about 18 city when driving it nicely.....14 the way I drive it.

Takes upwards of 100 bucks to fill it up.....:eek:

Wouldn't have it any other way, lol......I might be thinking differently if I was making the payment though, haha

Quad18star
08-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Ya I'm almost to the point where I'm going to sell my truck and get back into a car.

I sold my Sunfire GT mainly because it was a POS and because it was an automatic without overdrive , the gas mileage SUCKED .... plus insurance was pretty high ( oh them damn little sports cars).

I bought the truck and the trade off is that I'm still paying the same amount every week in gas ( go figure 4 cylinder auto to a 318 V8 and it costs the same hrmmm...) but my insurance dropped by about $500 because of the safety of a 4x4 truck.

I love the truck for the simple fact that I can haul stuff around , throw whatever I need in the back , 4x4 to go offroad ... but at $500 a month in gas , it's putting a hurting on the old wallet.

I swear the next time I buy a new car , it's going to be some 4 door that'll get 40 MPG . I don't care what it looks like , as long as it saves me money , I'll be happy. These little enviro cars sure look tempting. :cool:

ZeroLogic
08-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I have the biggest POS Sonoma 4 cylinder. Get around 23-26 mpg and costs around $45-50 to fill up the tank. I hate the truck. Would rather have a car.

Its a pos because its a GMC, thats the last brand I'd ever buy.

Ruby Soho
08-30-2007, 06:05 PM
what about like s10's and such, they cant be that bad

my88r
08-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
what about like s10's and such, they cant be that bad

thats what i have its great on gas. power is not so great with a quad in the back going up hills,